Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Old 10-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Fabricator

1987 Suzuki Samurai Trail/rock/mudder project.

with some permission i would like to put my build thread here on OFN. what do you guys think? Im not a master fabricator but i can hold my own for the most part.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Master Fabricator

that's what this forum is here for! toss it up and tell us what you've got goin!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Master Fabricator

Where is the Samurai project???
Old 10-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Fabricator

thanks guys just didn't want to post a thread now one wanted to see or hear about. I had this sammy givin to me by a good friend. It wouldn't run and he just didnt want to do anything with it. So i found the time had jumped and repaired it.

plans for the samurai
stage1 to be complete by thanksgiving for a off road event

YJ spring swap with missing links
Twin sticks
full MSD ignition
5.38 gears
weld-up rear
lock right locker in front axle
summit bucket seats
cs-130 alternator up grade
dual deep cycle batterys
Exo-Cage
34" swamper LTB's
high steer
power steering
radiator moved to the rear
set cab back 3"
reclocate body mounts

ok these pictures are from beginning to end

this is the way i got it.

after thinking a while i desided that the tube was to rusty and i deside to cut it off and build a wall in the back.

Next i wanted just like alot of guy minamal lift to fit the tire so i started cutting the front clip-up till i was happy with the out come.

Then i came up with this and cut the whole thing off.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Fabricator

well then i new the 34's wouldn't fit unless i moved the cab alittle so i cut the factory body mount fab'd up a home solid 3" body lift and moved the cab back 3"

now that the cab was moced back i had a small clearance issue in the rea with the tire's clearing the body. So i desided to just remove more of the body (simple fix) lol.

Since then i have spray bombed the truck OD green seems how i subconsiosly think im still in the marines. (a life style i will never give up.) and have so put the 24" LTB's on to stay till i do the toyota rock assults with 37" pitbull rockers.

i have also started buying and fabing parts for my next run of instulations

plaz'd out the spring plate's and the YJ adapted plates and have orded my twin stick's/5.38 gears and mini install kits/MSD 6AL box/ MSD hvc coil/MSD plug wires. 5" autometer tach. i have also purchase a used set of YJ springs.

let me tell you guys i order the twin sticks/5.38's and mini kits from scott at rock fab 4x and i wont deal with anyone else if i dont have to.

now i need to order my shock hoops or now that i have a bender build my own, along with the trail tough missing links and build some spring purches.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Fabricator

upate

since this rig was a soft top and i plan on wheelin in the winter i had to modify the top to fit so i could keep the heat in. and im also adding some pics of the plate that i plaz'd and the summit seats.

the plates & seats

I have also started on the snorkle for the samurai im going to bring it into the cab of the truck and mount the air filter high on the back wall. i desided to used one of the A/C vents as a point of entry.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Fabricator

lol since i set the cab back 3 inches i noticed i could darn near remoce the tran with-out climbing under it. but i did have to extend the coolant lines and a couple of vacume lines after doing so. i have also been playing around with idea's for the exo-cage.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Fabricator

heres a couple ideas i have for the sammy cage dont mind the color its just so its easy to see. it a very very idea and didn't come out right as my mind see's it becouse it was done on window paint lol.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Fabricator

for those wondering what stage 2 is

rock assults front and rear
3800 series 2 with 700r4 (not sure what transfer case)
propane
37" or 38" pitbull rockers
toy high pinion 3rd's maybe e-lockers
rock lights L.E.D.
head lights L.E.D.
side lights L.E.D.
reverse light L.E.D.
i like night wheelin to lol
thinking about a custom tube frame too.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Master Fabricator

lookin good, sorry if i missed it but did you find any dies for your bender?
Old 10-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopars 4 Life View Post
lookin good, sorry if i missed it but did you find any dies for your bender?
no sir i have not found any die's yet. and i deffenatly ready to start on the cage.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:38 AM
Fabricator

update

got some parts in

5.38 gears

Twin stick from rock fab 4x dont mind the chipped handle im going to build some handles for it

remember when i said a friend gave this sammy to me. this was it life before me. sorry for the pic quality camera phone from the 50's
Old 10-19-2011, 01:45 AM
Junior Fabricator

those dam things shoulda come with wings cool build. hope your shafts hold up to the 34's too
Old 10-19-2011, 03:25 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
those dam things shoulda come with wings cool build. hope your shafts hold up to the 34's too
lol they wont. but i will take it easy on thanksgiving. its gotta make it out. this is more of a benifit mud bog trail ride type thing. a friend of ours lost his 5 year old son a year ago thanksgiving evening. and we are giving him his final ride in his favorit rig. which is mine and his dad has plans to spread his ashes that day. its kinda hard to think about a 5 year old who used to ride next to me in my rig when i first got it and he's no longer here. so she has to make it out. hell or high water. thanks for the reply....
Old 10-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Junior Fabricator

Wicked man! I mean, sad to hear, but awesome memorial for sure!
Old 10-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Fabricator

update

over my days off i baught a new bad-lands (harbor freight) 6000 lbs winch and about 25' of 2 gauge wire and another 25' of 1 gauge wire a power distribution block and started on the front wheel bearing and brake replacement. you can tell buy the wheel bearing it had been jumped many times. more pics soon.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:15 AM
Fabricator

this morning a buddy of mine calls me and says to come over shopping in his garage, I knew he had something i needed and thats why he was calling. so i get over there and in the very front sit's a 1985 carb'd 4.3L 4-barrel engine and a 200R4. So guess whats going to happen right after thanks giving. muaahhaahhaa. stage 2 just got alittle funner.

on another note i will be shooting up some more pics in the next couple of days. i seriously running out of time when it comes to the bender die's. at the point i think im going to use 2X4's lol.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Master Fabricator

build looks great. What did you have to do to get it running? I got a zuk for free last year, beat to death. Put a new carb on it, fiddled with the vaccuum lines and away we went. Now it's a moveable lawn ornament!

I hate to say it, but maybe buying new die sets may be the way to go. I've made a few dollars off mine so far doing various things. Where are you located? maybe update your profile so we know?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep795 View Post
build looks great. What did you have to do to get it running? I got a zuk for free last year, beat to death. Put a new carb on it, fiddled with the vaccuum lines and away we went. Now it's a moveable lawn ornament!

I hate to say it, but maybe buying new die sets may be the way to go. I've made a few dollars off mine so far doing various things. Where are you located? maybe update your profile so we know?
all i had to do was buy a new timing belt and install it. my friend thaught the cam had snapped becouse it was blowing fuel out of the carb. i had a ton of parts already through another friend so i figure what the hell. ill give it a try.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:53 AM
Fabricator

Up-date

Over my days off i got alot done. I installed the GM CS144 140amp alternater/finished the back wall/built the pad for the 6000lbs badland winch/ ran some battery cable 2gauge hot/0 gauge ground. started the plumbing for the radiator to be mounted in the rear. installed the MSD 6al/baster 3 coil/plug wires/tach.

Now i have to install the rock fab 4X twin sticks/ the solid transfer case mounts/ the 5.38 Rock fab 4X gears. and the battery mounts with isolator.

Heres some pics.

CS144 140 amp alternater W/ 6 gauge charge wire.

Back wall all welded in.

MSD system

Some wiring
Frame is the main ground transfer from front to back.