Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > General Fabrication

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

Old 06-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Master Fabricator

Storage!

I have a dilemma. I have a bunch of mis-bent DOM tube taking up space in my garage. This is stuff that "just missed" when I started making cages for my friends. Bends that go up the A-pillar, but end up somewhere in the middle of the roof, instead of running down the side of the roof to meet the roll hoop. Not something you can easily fix with a hammer and duct tape. So, into the scrap pile it goes.

I also need more storage, as I have steadily accumulated parts to go back into my car, and have to keep shuffling stuff around in order to even get to my car. And finally, I need to practice my welding on tubing, to get some pretty welds before I weld up my own cage. My tubing welds are strong now, but not exactly something I could stare at with pride for the next 30 years. How to keep my interest so I will practice enough to develop some skill?

My solution was to use the tubing rejects to build a storage unit. I figure, if I can build a support large enough to wheel my portable generator under, then I can bolt on some wire shelving and make the empty airspace above the generator earn it's keep with storage. Something like this:

This needs 6' long pieces of tube; expensive if you are buying it, but free if you have enough short tube to butt-weld into long tube! The first step is to take all these bent tubes, and cut out the bends. You can see some of the donor bends at the top of this pic, and the short straight sections I salvaged at the bottom.

So, after a couple of evenings of cutting out bends, I had a LOT of short tube. Some of the 6' pieces were going to be made up of 8 short cut-offs. Several further evenings were spent beveling the edges of the tube. Finally, a few more evenings were spent welding all the short pieces into long pieces. What excellent practice! Welding tube is quite an art, as you are constantly changing the angle of the gun as you move around the tube. The first welds were pretty ugly. Truth be told, so were most of the middle welds. But by the end, I had four 6' sections of tube, the latter ones with respectable welds. Next I welded up the horizontal and vertical supports, and then fishmouthed the tube for assembly. After a few more evenings, I ended up with this:

I got some 1/4" plate from the salvage yard to make supports for the wire shelving, and then bolted the shelving to the plate to get pretty decent storage for the footprint:

I took it apart and treated it with Picklex20 and then gave it a couple of coats of Rustoleum to stop any surface rust. I put it back together with visions of automotive organization worthy of a race team. As you can see, my wife had other ideas for using the storage space Oh well, at least I got my CF airbox up off the floor, and I got some excellent practice for working on my cage.

Ian
Old 06-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Master Fabricator

I like the whole concept.
Good job,

Richard
Old 06-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Fabricator

A great way to practice and use up scrap!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margoville View Post
A great way to practice and use up scrap!
Thanks. I've still got a bunch of scrap lying around the garage. Perhaps a big rolling toolbox, using DOM as the supports for the shelves, and wrapped in some sheet metal. You could store tools, and be safe in a roll-over .
Ian
Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice work!

I built a bunch of stuff like this when I was learning to TIG. Better to practice on stuff that nobody's life depends on.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Master Fabricator

Lookin good bro... I have to admit myself at times needing to turn oops shit into gold ... hehe....

Cheer'z

Dog.............

Last edited by FrogDog; 06-07-2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: opps shit instead of just shit... hehe