Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Show and Shine...Show us what your finished project looks like! Bragging rights!

Completed Projects Show and Shine...Show us what your finished project looks like! Bragging rights!

Old 05-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Master Fabricator

Simple Custom Jack Stands

So I'm just about a week away from completing my MIG certification through the local Tech school program, and for the final class we just needed to do a project. Figured I'd make some jack stands.

Ended up using a template based on a 3-legged stool. Made 3 different heights.

Things that I already want to change. The 30/60 Angles I used for the legs aren't narrow enough. I'd prefer 20/70, but at the same time I didn't have a saw that could go that far (saw only goes to 60).

Also, I might have to reinforce the legs with connectors to really make them strong. For now, they'll be used for light duty action so they should hold up fine. I really just wanted something that was completely adjustable as far as height went.

Also, it would have been great to use a notcher on the legs. The space between center tube and the legs made the welds a bit of a pain. Vertical up just put too much heat into it, so I ended up doing vertical down. Gravity is your friend. Haha...

Anyway, feel free to let me know what you think. Welds done with a Millermatic 211 (running on 220V), .035 Wire, 75/25 Gas.

Jig made for welding legs.

Testing out the Jig

Everything all cleaned up for welding.

Stands. Only thing not done is the tops. Plan is just weld a bend piece of 1/4" and tack it to the top of the nut and leave it on top.

Not the prettiest welds ever, but it'll get the job done.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice little stands good job. i make my own as well...

You should concider 1/4" round, square or rectangle pads welded to bottom of legs... makes better platform ..

Just a Dog thought.....

Dog........
Old 05-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Master Fabricator

Yeah. I might mess with leg bottoms here in the next night or two. We'll see.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Fabricator

I like them but they do need to be reinforced connecting the leg to the middle. Especially at the wide angle you used it will put a lot of downward pressure on the legs wanting to make them spread.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Fabricator

I would brace the legs to each other and then put a piece of sheet metal under the bracing to use as a tool or parts tray.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Master Fabricator

Nice stands! I like the jig, too...simple, but effective.

I agree wth the other guys on the bracing.

Something to think about on the top pad is to allow it to swivel relative to the screw, so it doesn't have to slide against whatever is on the stand when you're trying to level it. I'm envisioning trying to level a car or truck or whatever after it's on stands...

I need to build a set of these...my crappy garage floor makes working on stuff that much harder because you can't just throw a level or angle finder on anything.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
I like them but they do need to be reinforced connecting the leg to the middle. Especially at the wide angle you used it will put a lot of downward pressure on the legs wanting to make them spread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadmb View Post
I would brace the legs to each other and then put a piece of sheet metal under the bracing to use as a tool or parts tray.
Yep. I have some scrap left over from the whole project so I will probably end up doing this in the near future. Right now I don't even have a real project or garage to use these in. Just wanted to something useful for my final project in my MIG classes.

Love the idea of a simple shelf for tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
Nice stands! I like the jig, too...simple, but effective.

I agree wth the other guys on the bracing.

Something to think about on the top pad is to allow it to swivel relative to the screw, so it doesn't have to slide against whatever is on the stand when you're trying to level it. I'm envisioning trying to level a car or truck or whatever after it's on stands...

I need to build a set of these...my crappy garage floor makes working on stuff that much harder because you can't just throw a level or angle finder on anything.
Not sure I totally understand what your saying. The top can be screwed on and off. Wanted to leave the ability to come up with really weird tops for projects where I had to hold something where I needed a very custom fit. Maybe the picture below will explain it a bit more.

Anyway, last night at class I got ends welded onto 4 of the 7 stands. Finish the rest up tomorrow on my last night of class. I cheated a bit and used this as an opportunity to level out the stands using different thickness scrap I had for each leg. Got most of them pretty much dead nuts on.

Simple top I welded up for 2 of them. Literally just bent a 1 1/2" x 5" piece of 1/4" in the press and then welded it to the top of one of the nuts.

Last edited by SniperX103; 05-04-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Junior Fabricator

why?

why is it so difficult to upload pics on this site? id like to share some fab pics i have on my computer but don't want to activate another pic sharing acount with another web site. i'm used to facebook on my cell phone, easy pleasy.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:02 PM
This space for rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker Motorsports View Post
why is it so difficult to upload pics on this site? id like to share some fab pics i have on my computer but don't want to activate another pic sharing acount with another web site. i'm used to facebook on my cell phone, easy pleasy.
Yes and no. Become a member and you can just attache them,
Otherwise host em on Photobucket (or=) and link them.
Oh and welcome to the OFN
Old 12-19-2011, 04:01 AM
Master Fabricator

Wink

Did you not learn in class that when you are welding vertical up(or any other position) and it is to hot to just let go of the trigger and let things cool down then finish the pass.

Nice jack stands

then to do the welding
Old 01-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming9 View Post
Did you not learn in class that when you are welding vertical up(or any other position) and it is to hot to just let go of the trigger and let things cool down then finish the pass.

Nice jack stands
I couldn't even really even get the weld started right though going up. There was just too much space I think (probably around 1/4" to 3/8" gap) and not thick enough material in the legs. If I had been able to notch the legs to "wrap" around the tube better I know I could have done it, but vertical down worked just as well, and turned out fairly cleanly.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:12 PM

Besides when you turn the jack over it looks vertical up...HEHEHEHEH

http://rock4xfabrication.com
1-847-672-9653
1-847-544-1823