Go Back OFN Forums > General Discussion > The Lounge

The Lounge Its 5:00 somewhere... This is the area where, after a hard days work, you sit back, relax, and unwind...

The Lounge Its 5:00 somewhere... This is the area where, after a hard days work, you sit back, relax, and unwind...

Old 09-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Site Admin

How long will an unused well and septic still be good?

How long will an unused well and septic still be good?

I am looking at a piece of land that has a well and a septic mound on it. Neither has been used. Here is the email from the seller:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seller
Well was drilled in 6/30/2003. It's 236 feet. Had to drill through trap rock 136 feet. Cost $7000 Never used, but water is in pipe. No pump and no power on site now. I have a meter installed near road that cost $475. Will need $75 to activate power again.

Septic was installed 11/12/2003. Never used. Perk test was approved by inspections. Permit #03-234 Consists of a mound system with a 1000/500 gallon combo.
Cost was $8,000.

Any experts here give me a little advise? The price for the land is a little high without the well and septic (just 2-3K high), however, if both would work it would be a good deal.

Thanks,
Cris
http://www.2020softwaresolutions.com/cmps_index.php

Cris
Phone: 651-257-8715
support@bend-tech.com

Old 09-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Junior Fabricator

If neither have been used, both should be in good order.

The well should have a casing running the length of the bore, sink a pump and it should be good to go.

The septic system should also be fine, the infrastructure shouldn't deteriorate anywhere near that quickly.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:20 PM
This space for rent.

Don't know about there.
Here the seller would have to have the well tested before the property could be sold. I think the option here would be to fill the well which has to be done by a state licensed company.
The well test would be volume and water quality.
The septic should be inspected but is likely good to go if the drain field is intact.
Also you would want to check to see if the septic meets current codes, mine for example would, today, have to have a nitrate filter added to the tune of $20,000 beyond the system cost.

E
Old 09-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Master Fabricator

from what I know.....
Water is water....flush it (pump it)
take a sample to the courthouse (dept of health)....they will tell you

from what I know about sepitic.....once it in, its in....they can change the codes for the future, but its been built.

Plasic pipe, concrete, and rocks dont really deteriorate....don't see how that can go bad
Old 09-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Master Fabricator

Cris, the place I bought had sat empty for nearly 10 years when we got it, had tha pump pulled and serviced and the septic pumped out and it has been fine for the last 10.5 years. Make sure that the septic is not obstructed by roots on the inlet and outlet and make sure there are no wasps living in the pump switch contacts and if it worked before it should work now. Mostly minor maint stuff that should have been done anyway, I think all told it was around 400 to do it all. Hope this helps.
Bob
Old 09-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Fabricator

Hey Cris, my dad does well and pump repair. Give him a call hes a straight shooter. Tell him cory told you to call him. His number 651-464-1244
Old 09-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipperz View Post
Hey Cris, my dad does well and pump repair. Give him a call hes a straight shooter. Tell him cory told you to call him. His number 651-464-1244
This is up in Pine City. This is perfect.
Cory, did you know I am over in Lindstrom?
http://www.2020softwaresolutions.com/cmps_index.php

Cris
Phone: 651-257-8715
support@bend-tech.com

Old 09-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Fabricator

I figured you were in Lindstrom, I know the area, My grandmother had a trailer house on the left going into town. I'm only 8 miles or so from you. I'm in forest lake not to far from the hwy 8 over pass and hwy 61 just past the hitching post motel going north. Cory
Old 09-28-2010, 05:20 PM
This space for rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyFromOlympia View Post
from what I know about sepitic.....once it in, its in....they can change the codes for the future, but its been built.
Actually, before I could start any new construction or any addition to an existing structure, OR before I can sell this property I would/will have to do the upgrade, the requirement is made by: the county, per the state, ordered by the Feeble, oh, oop's federal government via the clean water act...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Master Fabricator

does the well have a pump and screens installed ?? when they drilled mine they gave me a well log the tells you what the ground is that they have drilled thru , it should tell you the depth , where the water level is and how many gallons it flows , there should be a serial # on it as well mine has one so does all the neighbors with deep wells . as for septic , are the run off lines installed ?? if so you need to know where they are for further work is done , i hired a gun and he did the bent coat hanger trick and pointed out where the lines are .

definately get the water tested all sorts of stuff can be in clear water , ,mine stinks of sulpher from time to time and it stains the sink and such due to iron .
Old 09-29-2010, 08:45 AM
Master Fabricator

I would suggest getting a well/septic inspector in...I know when I bought my house our guy was invaluable. We had a septic issue and he was very thorough in explaining everything...turned out okay, but could have been a real headache.

From what he explained to me, I would expect the septic to be okay if it's never been used. A lot of septic issues come from solids entering the drain field due to a non-functioning aeration pump or lack of maintenance. When that happens, bacteria bloom and clog the field, leaving you with a swamp in that area and a big bill to replace the field.

But, get an expert, not some bozo on the internet that had it explained to him once..