Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > UTV/Buggy Fabrication

UTV/Buggy Fabrication For all those doing your own fabrication on the Yamaha Rhino and other UTV's

UTV/Buggy Fabrication For all those doing your own fabrication on the Yamaha Rhino and other UTV's

Old 09-21-2010, 01:43 AM
Master Fabricator

Thinking about a homemade utv

Well I have been bulding jeeps for some time and think I am ready to try something diffrent. I recently bought a new piece of property and always thought I would just buy a quad when that day came. Well I hadnt priced Quads in about 15 years,,, Dang they are expensive. So since I can build about anything I got to thinking about it. I ave hill country, so i was thinking somethinglow and stable. Contemplating running dear similar to the older 4wd cars that had low range and auto tranny, I cannot remember who made them. With that drive train I could get something very low and moveable. I am not looking for a mud bogger, or speed just something small to manuver on the steep property...

Any suggestions or examples of something like this?
Old 09-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Fabricator

Subaru MY and L series had the running gear I think you are talking about.

Here is Me Ute ....

From this ....

To this .....

Old 09-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Master Fabricator

I think the subarus are your best ticket. I see some guys at the dunes with subaru Justys that they have lightened up and the get around good. it would be cool to see one stripped and caged.

Dave
Old 09-21-2010, 11:23 AM
This space for rent.

Using a Subby with the T/C having low Range to build a light weight 4Wd toy is on my list of things to do.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Master Fabricator

Subaru is what I was thinking of, Couldnt remember. I have never seen one that quit running, Lots that rusted in two, but they still ran. Simple system, no computers or injection. that thig looks pretty cool.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Junior Fabricator

How about the suzuki samurai?

there cheap,light,lots of parts out there and the aftermarket is big.boxed frame

I seen lots have the back half cut off and had a flatbed built. with a set of aftermarket low gears for the tcase(im running 6.5:1) it will crawl like a tractor.

I have plans to build one so far im going 6.5:1 case 1.6 tracker engine factory F.I on the 1.6 power steering tire size and lift unknown? but if you want low keep the stock lift its plenty low for what you want. and a flatbed and hydraulic dump. locked in the rear end. there about the same size as a rhino. i plan to put it on the road and it has a heater and radio.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:36 AM
Master Fabricator

I have thought about a Sami, Even looked quite a bit but they seem to be kinda hard to find around here. I also have a cj 5 in the shop that would make a good low crawler. Even have 5.89 gears waiting for it.... Hmm
Old 09-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Master Fabricator

Im thinking about doing something likethis myself. I have a Rhino ti does get get us around pretty good BUT Im In Oregon I can't legally drive it on the road like from campsite to trailhead , river bar country store ect.
So Im thinking about a small all wheel drive car preferably something that comes with tall tires so it won't loose gear ratio with suitable tires. Im thinking a wrecked Suby would fit the bill I could build what I want and title as "reconstructed" and have what I want.
It wouldent have to be a wrx or anything super fast just about any AWD suby with a timing belt would work but the later models came with 16" tires so that would be my first choice.

I would probably just use the front engine layout since the engine and transaxle are pretty light.build a real frame/cage and shorten the wheelbase.

Last edited by Joe Llamahead; 09-26-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:23 PM
This space for rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Llamahead View Post
I have a Rhino ti does get get us around pretty good BUT Im In Oregon I can't legally drive it on the road like from campsite to trailhead , river bar country store ect.
Ain't is great Protected from ourselvez by some canydazzed bureaucrat, never had any fun in their life, and skeerd of venturing beyond the end of the pavement.

I looked at the UTV'z a few times but having to trailer it to a trail and then legally only being able to use it on a few trails, or the fewer tiny crowded OHV play areas; most (if not all) of which will be closed in the next 5 years.
For that kind of money (new) I can pick up a small 4WD PU truck, lift it,Lock it, add tires, and hang a winch on it, have way more bang for the buck; and be allowed to drive it to all the places in you list...

Government
Old 09-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Ain't is great Protected from ourselvez by some canydazzed bureaucrat, never had any fun in their life, and skeerd of venturing beyond the end of the pavement.

I looked at the UTV'z a few times but having to trailer it to a trail and then legally only being able to use it on a few trails, or the fewer tiny crowded OHV play areas; most (if not all) of which will be closed in the next 5 years.
For that kind of money (new) I can pick up a small 4WD PU truck, lift it,Lock it, add tires, and hang a winch on it, have way more bang for the buck; and be allowed to drive it to all the places in you list...

Government
Yes It Is amazing how much Liberties we have lost at the hands Of liberals. Im real tired of Portland voting for us! I wish we could have Arizonas laws and live here. Imagine: being able to drive our stuff on the road with the proper equipment and licensing, carry concealed firearms whithout a permit, and The government actually concidering the taxpayers over the illegals.

Sigh on a happier note, I'm off to the mower races..... Hilbilly deluxe!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:27 AM
Master Fabricator

Well solved this issue. After looking at prices on shocks and universals,,, I ended up buying a used 4wd suzuki for 1500.00. It isint exactly what I wanted but it will do