Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Software Tech/Questions

Software Tech/Questions Do you use CAD? Curious about it? It can be a great tool to have in the shop. This is the place to talk about it!

Software Tech/Questions Do you use CAD? Curious about it? It can be a great tool to have in the shop. This is the place to talk about it!

Old 05-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Junior Fabricator

Bend Tech vs real world dimensions

I have been experimenting with BTPro for a few days and would like to hear tips on how people measure the inside of a cab or car body and use those dimensions in BT.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Master Fabricator

...it can take me longer to measure then to build.
I measure the hard 'points'; so the corners in the floor and I mean every corner not just where the Firewall meets the floor and sides but if the tubes will run through the center then if there is a hump or bump for the transmission. I plot each point in red and I connect each point with straight 0.250-Dia tube where necessary so that I can see if I violate that tube with the real tube layout... That is how i do it most of the time.

E

Old 05-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Master Fabricator

I level the vehicle with a big level and use a tapemeasure and a bunch of plumb bobs.Hard to explain but I start with a square cube in the cab by hanging the plumb bobs from the ceiling to the floor of it and measureing from the inside walls to the plumb bob and add to the cube's measurements.

Sorry I suck that does'nt even make since when I read it back to myself and.When I'm trying to explain how I do it.

Last edited by baxter; 05-19-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Junior Fabricator

I think I understand what you are saying. I have a sketch I'd like to put up to further explain my question. Why cant I post pics? Anyone?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Master Fabricator

use photobucket. if i am doing something liek a rollcage I simply grab a clip board, tape measure and sketch out each piece individually how i want them as i build the cage. so i will measure my main hoop, build it, then measure my next piece and put it in the program, then build it so on and so forth. it helps out alot if you need to change something or if you build something and it doesn't come out "perfect" like the program has it and you need to make adjustments because you are out 2.* if i am building something from scratch, like a chassis i would build the whole vehicle in the program first
Old 05-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by balterbuilt View Post
use photobucket. if i am doing something liek a rollcage I simply grab a clip board, tape measure and sketch out each piece individually how i want them as i build the cage. so i will measure my main hoop, build it, then measure my next piece and put it in the program, then build it so on and so forth. it helps out alot if you need to change something or if you build something and it doesn't come out "perfect" like the program has it and you need to make adjustments because you are out 2.* if i am building something from scratch, like a chassis i would build the whole vehicle in the program first
Ditto, make sure you remeber that in assembly it used the middel of the tube. So keep that in mind.

Also If the interer has ben removed and bare metal I have a bunch of pos(point of sale) magnets that I stick up and then can tie string from magnet to magnet and that way I can accuratly measure from point to point.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Master Fabricator

good point about the center of the tube, make sure you compensate for that one!!
Old 05-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Junior Fabricator

I like the magnet tip- thats clever. So its as simple as measuring those bend points (possibly represented by magnets) and entering the measurements into BT, minus 1/2 OD.

How about this- you want make single bend hoops to fit behind the seats in your convertible. (Purely hypothetical numbers) You measure the height inside the ragtop at 40" and want the base 22" wide. When I try this I end up with a piece 6.5" high and 13" across. The apex of this bend would be 4 feet above the car. Does apex not work over 90 degrees? Use tangent?
Old 05-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Junior Fabricator

By the way, I am not currently working on a convertible, just playing with the software. I did put a 6 point cage in my wife's Metro Convertible years ago...
Old 05-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Master Fabricator

[quote=barxracer;93946]By the way, I am not currently working on a convertible, just playing with the software. I did put a 6 point cage in my wife's Metro Convertible years ago...[/QUOTE
Is that a GEO Metro? Surprised the motor was strong enough to move the additional weight. Sorry, just couldnt help myself. Kinda like a cage in a Daewoo, whats the point? Any way back on topic, I use cup hanger magnets with a hook to stretch string, the measure the string point to point. I also use cardboard for the really close tolerance stuff so I get a perfect fit like overhead loops in the passenger compartment. Sorry no offendse on the GEO comment, just seemed like over kill.

Last edited by rbeckett; 05-21-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm on my way to impact..

I still use a test bend piece to confirm radius and start of bend points when measuring for initial measurements, then plug the #'s into BT. I also spend probably as much time measuring as at the desk, before cutting any tube. Garbage in, garbage out - the only way BT will ever produce something that doesn't fit right! Taking the time to triple check measurements is worth the effort, especially for me, as I don't fab enough to be fast at anything anyway. My motto is 'cut it 3 times, and it's STILL too short!' measure measure measure, and then measure again, because I keep getting different numbers LOL! Be sure that your calibrations are done accurately for BT, and that your cut-off lengths are set for each piece too. Otherwise you can end up with a perfect multi bend, multi-plane work of art that is 2" too short at one end. How do I know? What? of course I've never done that!
Old 05-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Master Fabricator

i use outside to outside when using the hoop template in BT Pro makes things easier i measure everything several times , subtract typically a 2" from the horizontal #'s and a 1" on the height for some clearances , actually i will be doing that this weekend gonna be starting the cage in my kids car
Old 05-22-2010, 02:43 AM
Master Fabricator

It's really elementary math......

Old 05-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barxracer View Post
I have been experimenting with BTPro for a few days and would like to hear tips on how people measure the inside of a cab or car body and use those dimensions in BT.

I sometimes input the actual dimensions of space available in the cab. Wall to wall, celing to floor. Using those pick points as the stay within the lines, building in half the tube diameter plus a hair. Once I design the hoop, etc, I verify the clearance from the hoop to the points I set as the walls and stuff. Once the main parts are in just connect the dots and BAM!!!

Last edited by ScooteK; 05-22-2010 at 01:27 PM.