Go Back OFN Forums > theOFN File Exchange (OFN-FE) > Dimensions

Dimensions What are the dimensions of that? This is a forum for fabricators to help other fabricators with specific dimensions need for designs.

Dimensions What are the dimensions of that? This is a forum for fabricators to help other fabricators with specific dimensions need for designs.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Junior Fabricator

1992-96 F-150 chassis/bumper/misc. dimensions??

As the title says....I'm looking for some dimensions for my Fjord pickup. I want to try my hand at this metalworking stuff...and I want to bend a couple "prerunner" style bumpers. Gonna use some 1.75" exhaust pipe for practice bending.....then I'll bend some sch 40 pipe for most of the main pieces of the bumper. All of which I can pretty much measure and figure out as I go.....but I need to fabricate some beefy frame horns to attach a tubular bumper to, and I don't know what size plate to use for the horns....or how big?

Some other stuff I'd like to make if the bumpers go well.....like radius arms and traction bars. Maybe a 3-link rear eventually.

This sucks....NONE of the local offroad fab shops are willing to help me. They are a bunch of greedy sobs...and won't even shoot me some numbers to help me make my own shiz. They just want me to buy their crap. sigh.....

-Lindenmooch
Old 03-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenmooch View Post
As the title says....I'm looking for some dimensions for my Fjord pickup. I want to try my hand at this metalworking stuff...and I want to bend a couple "prerunner" style bumpers. Gonna use some 1.75" exhaust pipe for practice bending.....then I'll bend some sch 40 pipe for most of the main pieces of the bumper. All of which I can pretty much measure and figure out as I go.....but I need to fabricate some beefy frame horns to attach a tubular bumper to, and I don't know what size plate to use for the horns....or how big?

Some other stuff I'd like to make if the bumpers go well.....like radius arms and traction bars. Maybe a 3-link rear eventually.

This sucks....NONE of the local offroad fab shops are willing to help me. They are a bunch of greedy sobs...and won't even shoot me some numbers to help me make my own shiz. They just want me to buy their crap. sigh.....

-Lindenmooch
I just bought this truck with this bumper on it. I think its ugly but I can get you some better pictures if its what your looking to do. Its a 94 f250
Old 03-14-2010, 03:57 AM
Junior Fabricator

yeah that would help for sure. I think if I can figure out how to mount a bumper to the end of the frame I'd be set. Bending/welding a bumper together should be the easy part. Securing it to the truck is the part I'm not sure about.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Junior Fabricator

At a minimum I would use 3/16ths plate for a pre runner style bumper. 1/4 if you want something thicker. Shouldn't have to go more than that. Autofab has a good tutorial on their website. for dealing with the frame horns. John makes some nice stuff but you pay for it. People don't want to give away the knowledge they had to earn and learn for free. I don't blame the shops they are in the business to sell. not give away free advice. Spend some money and you would be suprised what they will let you in on.
http://www.autofab.com/front%20bumper%20kit.htm
Old 03-15-2010, 02:05 AM
Junior Fabricator

very true statement. i would feel the same way if i was in their shoes. but i'm not in their shoes...i'm in mine. and it doesn't feel good to be shown the door every single time. having said that...i would be willing to shell out a few bucks if i could partner up with someone who could actually show me a thing or two about my truck, and what i can and can't do with it.

i checked out your link briefly...and at a glance, it looks extremely helpful. gonna study it some more and see what i can learn from it.

thanks for the reply!
Old 03-15-2010, 02:30 AM
Junior Fabricator

Well some of the best ways to see how people have done things is to look on forums like this one, race dezert, and a few otehrs. Also take a look at many of the company websites. What they show if you look carefully will eduacate you. Read books ones by Carrol Smith and others.
The best way though to learn is to go to work for them.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:28 AM
Master Fabricator

Sorry it took so long.
There's just some square tube in between the frame rails with plates on the outside of the frame rails. The tube is tied to the plates from there. Hope that helps.

Last edited by shaggy10000; 03-16-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Master Fabricator

heres a pic of my front bumper if i did this right
Old 12-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Master Fabricator

i use 3/16 plate to mount my bolt up bumpers remember you dont want your bumper to be so strong that if you hit/nerf something it stays and your frame bends it needs to be constructed so that it will bend before the acordian bends in your frame horns colapse
Old 12-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Fabricator

4130 1.75 main tube and 1.5 and 1.25 on sides. all bolts on with 3bolt flanges, i have pick up up the whole front of the truck from the over rider tube with a crane before we where bored lol.

Last edited by mfs; 12-17-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfs View Post

4130 1.75 main tube and 1.5 and 1.25 on sides. all bolts on with 3bolt flanges, i have pick up up the whole front of the truck from the over rider tube with a crane before we where bored lol.
hey man where you find that bumper . im looking for something just like it for my 96 f150
Old 03-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Fabricator

Judging from the truck, I'm sure who built it built the bumper too.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:47 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlucas View Post
hey man where you find that bumper . im looking for something just like it for my 96 f150
Built by me :). Marks fab shop.