Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Benders and Bending

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Old 09-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Theoretical Fabricator

Lightbulb Winch Powered Bender - Pics Again

Well I just think this one was too cool to forget about, so I dug around and found photos of it. This is a bender mounted to a bumper and powered by a winch. Talk about usin' your noggin' to make something work with what you have.

Take a look at this Photo Bucket album for more pictures. If anybody on here has a photobucket account, see if you can PM this guy and see if he'll come onto the OFN to share his talent and a little info about the bender:

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ng%20Projects/
Old 09-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Master Fabricator

definately a creative set-up
Old 09-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Master Fabricator

Fantastic! That is superlatively simple and functional. I love it! Great idea i think.

And Ya... Id like to see some more about this.

Awesome!
Old 09-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Master Fabricator

Suprizingly the Dog is stumped for words.... .. but have to agree with all sofar... hehe.. Thanx Bandit..

Dog....

Old 09-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Master Fabricator

sweeet!!!!
Old 09-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Master Fabricator

Oh WOW this is too wierd. BANDIT, It seams as if this guy liked your bender project as well.......I did some digging around myself....I found his build thread and this is how he started it...

I've been wanting to buy/build a tube bender to finish the work on my CJ rebuild and ran across this:
http://www2.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343427

The Bandit was (it's an old post) building a tube bender for his senior project for a Mechanical Engineering Degree. Really good stuff there, but hey, I'm a simple guy without a ME degree, and without his kind of budget or smarts! I think he spent over 2K + had a few corporate guys chip in some nice freebees.

To make a manual bender I'd need a place to anchor it and have plenty of room for the tube to maneuver, which means some place outside. But, heck in addition to being simple, I'm old and lazy and don't want to dig a hole in my solid rock landscape, much less have to pull on a ratchet bar 8' long to accomplish my bends, so a manual machine was out of the question. All the power machines use hydraulic power, which pretty much meant big $$ on a hyrdaulic pump, rams, etc. Did I mention that I was cheap? Brainstorming over a couple of sleepless nights :bed:, I came up with a few ideas, not sure if they would work or not. I even thought of using a gear reduction starter motor turning a flywheel mounted to a pinion shaft on a spare 8.8" rear I have lying around: thinking all the gear reduction might give enough power to accomplish the bends. That also meant more investment, which might be a failure.

Then it came to me! Use something I already had, that had plenty of power, you may have one too....my Warn 9000# winch!

I contacted both Pro Tools and JD2 about die sets, but none were willing to send me any info about their dies, so I'm forced to buy one and design off of 1 die and hope other sizes I may want to use in the future will easily adapt.

If anybody is interested in the design, post up and I'll share my progress as things develop. My goal is to build a bender that will make a 180 deg bend in a single pull, have an adjustable stop for repeatable bends, be portable so I can take it to my buddy's house and bend tubing there if needed, little or no machining (so you can build one too) even though I have a lathe and mill and finally, excluding the cost of the dies and my winch come in under $200.00

I did not make this up, you can see his thread here, http://jeep-forums.4wd.com/archive/i...p/t-36371.html

Now, someone else needs to PM this guy on the other board and point him to this thread.........

Too funny.......
Old 09-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Master Fabricator

THAT. . .is BAD ASS.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Theoretical Fabricator

SlightlyModified, thanks for digging that up! I'll try joining that forum to PM him. Anybody with that kind of ingenuity would be great to have on OFN. I'm flattered he mentioned my bender, but the truth is he has innovated well beyond what I did. He went completely outside of the box and that is commendable.

There are a few shortcomings in his design that a revised version could overcome. The small sizing of the single-sheer center pin and drive pin for the main die both concern me. Clearance around the main die for doing adjacent multi-plane bends may also be a problem. But these are hardly worth harping about - the concept is great and the execution is excellent. I'd like to see some video of it in action!