Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Welders and Welding

Welders and Welding Which welder is best and the best way's to use them.

Welders and Welding Which welder is best and the best way's to use them.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Fabricator

Welders helmet, Low profile design?

I spent yesterday working underneath my rig and had to do some welding on the mounts for a t-case. I have a big head, but I know about where it is. With a welders helmet on (either up or down) I cant seem to move around. Its time for a new lens, and I am starting to do a lot more welding than my brother (we split all our welding stuff) so I am thinking of buying a new helmet and having him take the old helmet and put the new lens in.

Is there a low profile design, or am I just stuck working with a huge helmet?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Fabricator

BTW, my helmet is just the run of the mill auto darkening helmet, nothing special really.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Master Fabricator

I have a big head also and do a lot of under vehicle welding I love my jackson nexgen has a big window and is super clear in dark area"s
my .02
Old 06-30-2009, 01:29 AM
Master Fabricator

I really don't know what a big head is....other than what the girls say..LOL but I have a square head... I use a miller for years and now the elete..

It can be a pain at times if the light defuses from the lens trigger but I just carry on with feel and move my head and try to put back the objective weld...I alway do try to put the object in possition to accomidate a good weld.. If possible..

I've at times done not bad welding without seeing...as long as it was short or stitching at the moment of darkness...

cheers bro.. just my 0.02 worth....

Dog......
Old 06-30-2009, 01:42 PM
This space for rent.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the olden days...
I needed a new helmet and I had an old Fiberglass lid (HEAVY!) so I cut it down and first I made the shield out of leather, less weight much less bulk but when I exhaled I fogged the lenz Then I got smart and made it fit tight and made it out of fiberglass. I even built in a deflector so that my breathing would be channeled down away from the lenz.
I loaned it to a friend to try and he busted it all to. I still think that is is a great idea but I never got the bugs worked out.
I like Frog like to get stuff out where I can get to it.

E
Old 06-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Master Fabricator

Just take a old welding helmet and take the lens out and position it where ya need to with your free hand. I have had to do that several times in tight spots.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Fabricator

Dang, I was hoping for something a little lower profile, kind of like a face sheild if not closer.

I dont really want to do take the lens out of an old helmet, because I dont want the square tan lines on the face
Old 07-02-2009, 01:41 AM
Junior Fabricator

You can buy a leather helmet (more like a hood) with a lens holder in it and put a small auto darkening lens in it. The one I have actually has a flip down lens setup off a regular helmet.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:41 AM
Master Fabricator

Talking

I have gone the leather hood route . It is hot as hell for me anytime.

I used to have to weld on the inside part of the door jamb on Mack troks the only way to get at them is by taking the floor out . Then sticking your head down into the opening and looking back toward yourself.

What I did was take a pair of burning goggles put in a #9 small lens and I was good to go.

Now I would not recommend this for welding several hours a day but for those tight spots it is just great

then to do the welding
Old 07-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Junior Fabricator

I only use the leather one for tight spots, my Speedglas 9002x gets me into most places.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Junior Fabricator

We had a Lincoln WeldPak that came with a handheld face shield that was perfect for that sort of thing. I loved the shade on the lens too. Don't know what happened to it, but I kind of miss it.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Junior Fabricator

me too xj42.
i have several hoods that i use for different things. my old fiberglass jackson that dont get used much cuz it's so damn heavy lol
one of them skull looking plastic jobs with a fixed shade auto darkening lense and a variable shade hood from northern tool ( on sale) and a couple hand held shields from lincoln
Old 11-26-2009, 12:22 AM
Junior Fabricator

i use a miller but i use to work part time @ fastlane race cars,but the owner cut the bottom side of his 9001 speedglas so when he got into tight spots he could bend his neck and the helmet wolud never move.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:27 AM
Junior Fabricator

some times you almost have to be a contortionist to get were you need to be to weld some things!
Old 11-26-2009, 01:51 AM
Fabricator

Pipe Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
You can buy a leather helmet (more like a hood) with a lens holder in it and put a small auto darkening lens in it. The one I have actually has a flip down lens setup off a regular helmet.
Up here we call this a "pipe hood". Definitely hot over the long haul...but irreplaceable for tight spots. I wouldn't want it to be my only hood.

I also run a Huntsman VXL 4X4, but that is a fairly large helmet. Before the pipe hood, I borrowed my friends Hornell Speedglas for tight spots. It has a very narrow chin and runs real close to my big (potato) head. If you go this route I warn you, the consumables are proprietary (more expensive) and not available everywhere.

Just my .02

Cheers
Old 11-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Junior Fabricator

ive even thought about using one of the lincoln handheld shields and old magnetic dial indicator base with a small clamp fixed to it.
you'd be able to place it wherever you wanted it..

that sounds like a good idea for today, if i get a chance i'll see what i can come up with