Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication


Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Ian from Xtreme's Avatar
Ian from Xtreme Ian from Xtreme is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 225
Xtreme 4x4's low budget pimpin buggy

Hey Guys,

Don't know how many of you are familiar with Jeremy (Rock Apes) buggy build over on Pirate, I always liked the idea as well as the size and the budget aspect of his build. I met up with him at Off Road Expo in Pomona last year and after some chatting he agreed to hook me up with his Bend Tech file so I could build a similar version of this buggy.

These are some behind the scenes pics of this crawler.





Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Bonehead's Avatar
Bonehead Bonehead is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,008
Looks like it is almost done. Have you got in and made motor noises yet?

How are you going to gear it? I'll be watching for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Ian from Xtreme's Avatar
Ian from Xtreme Ian from Xtreme is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 225
Oh no it is a long way off from running....... gearing will be 5.29's in high pinion 3rds with detroits. It is sitting at full stuff right now, and it will be running the 42" Pitbulls.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-19-2009, 11:31 PM
JaysinSpaceman's Avatar
JaysinSpaceman JaysinSpaceman is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Skull County, Ca
Posts: 1,377
I've been keeping my eyes on all the little cheap buggy builds like this on the OFN. Seems like a great way to have fun for very little cash outlay. I'll be watching this one too.

Thanx for posting it up.
Jaysin
__________________
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right. Henry Ford

SHADOW WERX

4" x 4" gussets by Shadow Werx
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Bonehead's Avatar
Bonehead Bonehead is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian from Xtreme View Post
Oh no it is a long way off from running....... .

Yeah, I was messin with you. But the cage looks great, and I like where you are going with it. I recognized the Pit bulls, I have heard great things about them. By the way, your gussets look like cheap cardboard,
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Ian from Xtreme's Avatar
Ian from Xtreme Ian from Xtreme is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
Yeah, I was messin with you. But the cage looks great, and I like where you are going with it. I recognized the Pit bulls, I have heard great things about them. By the way, your gussets look like cheap cardboard,
That way they are lighter weight, and easier to cut
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-20-2009, 10:46 AM
BAILEIGH INC's Avatar
BAILEIGH INC BAILEIGH INC is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manitowoc, WI
Posts: 1,307
Lookin good Ian
__________________
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial Inc.
shenderson@baileighindustrial.com
www.baileighindustrial.com
920-482-3220

Quality Metal Fabrication Equipment
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-20-2009, 11:16 AM
entropy's Avatar
entropy entropy is offline
This space for rent.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ~40Miles from the center of Oregon
Posts: 7,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian from Xtreme View Post
That way they are lighter weight, and easier to cut
Man I've given up on that I just can't seem to get the welding process to work!

I'll be watching.
__________________
“No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world.” RW
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-20-2009, 11:29 AM
fabcam's Avatar
fabcam fabcam is offline
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 4,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Man I've given up on that I just can't seem to get the welding process to work!

I'll be watching.
It helps to put the hole and flare in before the weld.
__________________
The Designers of Bend-Tech Products
www.2020ssi.com
bend-tech support forum:
http://www.2020softwaresolutions.com/cmps_index.php

Cris
Phone: 651-257-8715
support@bend-tech.com


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-20-2009, 11:31 AM
baxter's Avatar
baxter baxter is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rockford,OH
Posts: 752
What Honda engine are you planning on running?I'm in the process of building one now with a 2.4 and 5spd out of a Neon.I've takin some heat over the 5sp. but I wanted an adjustable stall for the slick rock we play on around hear!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Sarcastro's Avatar
Sarcastro Sarcastro is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 504
subscribed! I wonder how in the world you weld the diff on the honda?
are you going to do the wiring for the efi system yourself? I know that rock ape had a ricer kid do his wiring, is there some sort of vendor that will chop up your wiring to work out of a ammo can?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Draco's Avatar
Draco Draco is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Decatur, Al.
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian from Xtreme View Post
it will be running the 42" Pitbulls.
I'm gonna have to give those a try....Keep hearing good things about them
__________________
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.
There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-20-2009, 03:07 PM
smw's Avatar
smw smw is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: clever,mo
Posts: 134
Awesome looks good, glad you posted here looks like it will be a lot of fun. I have a straight axled 4runner just begging for the axles to be taken off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastro View Post
subscribed! I wonder how in the world you weld the diff on the honda?
are you going to do the wiring for the efi system yourself? I know that rock ape had a ricer kid do his wiring, is there some sort of vendor that will chop up your wiring to work out of a ammo can?
If you get the right computer p28 or something it can be flashed, there is a free program out thats called chrome it can be used to tune the ecu. Need to get one with some v-tec .

Ian if you need any info at all on the engine let me know as Ive worked (do work for) for a couple guys that know these things inside and out. Im sure youve got it handled .
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-21-2009, 01:53 AM
woodworkingnw's Avatar
woodworkingnw woodworkingnw is offline
Fabricator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 49
exactly what is the estimated budegt on a projrct like this?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-21-2009, 10:22 PM
turbo_bully's Avatar
turbo_bully turbo_bully is offline
Junior Fabricator
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4
Looks awsome!

I used to toy around with turbo hondas and yes, there are share ware programs such as Crome (spelling with no "H") that will allow you to delete most all of the OE sensors.

If you want to spend money on something more sophistocated you can look at EcTune or Neptune. It gives you lots more control.

It looks like you got yourself a 1.8 LS motor there, you could also look into the CRV motor which is a 2.0 and that'll give you more torque to play with, and its fully compatible with the LS tranny.

As far as the tranny, most people have had good luck with the OBX helical diff or you could just spool or lock it.

I hope to build something like this in the near future, make sure to keep us updated. I'll definately be checking back for updates.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-22-2009, 12:51 AM
pertneer's Avatar
pertneer pertneer is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 274
Subscribed! This build looks somewhat over budget for my budget, but I watching.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-22-2009, 01:41 AM
FrogDog's Avatar
FrogDog FrogDog is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maple Ridge, B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by pertneer View Post
Subscribed! This build looks somewhat over budget for my budget, but I watching.
LOL.. Don't mind Ian.. the word budget is just a slogan.. Really means 'Shortened' .. But I 2 am keepin an eye on this one..

Bloody awesome project...

Thanx Ian..'rz Bro.........
Dog...
__________________
'Dog' is Never Wrong, Only Mistakin'
FrogDog FabWorx
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-23-2009, 11:32 PM
ScooteK's Avatar
ScooteK ScooteK is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Placentia Ca.
Posts: 1,288
Do you have any screen shots of this in Bend-Tech?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-24-2009, 03:38 AM
rockape's Avatar
rockape rockape is offline
Fabricator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: nv
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by smw View Post
Awesome looks good, glad you posted here looks like it will be a lot of fun. I have a straight axled 4runner just begging for the axles to be taken off.



If you get the right computer p28 or something it can be flashed, there is a free program out thats called chrome it can be used to tune the ecu. Need to get one with some v-tec .

Ian if you need any info at all on the engine let me know as Ive worked (do work for) for a couple guys that know these things inside and out. Im sure youve got it handled .
His set-up is OBD0.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_bully View Post
Looks awsome!

I used to toy around with turbo hondas and yes, there are share ware programs such as Crome (spelling with no "H") that will allow you to delete most all of the OE sensors.

If you want to spend money on something more sophistocated you can look at EcTune or Neptune. It gives you lots more control.

It looks like you got yourself a 1.8 LS motor there, you could also look into the CRV motor which is a 2.0 and that'll give you more torque to play with, and its fully compatible with the LS tranny.

As far as the tranny, most people have had good luck with the OBX helical diff or you could just spool or lock it.

I hope to build something like this in the near future, make sure to keep us updated. I'll definately be checking back for updates.
That motor is actually a d16a from an integra 88-89,essentailly the same as a ZC just a different front mount....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootek View Post
Do you have any screen shots of this in Bend-Tech?
Im almost positive he has atleast one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastro View Post
subscribed! I wonder how in the world you weld the diff on the honda?
are you going to do the wiring for the efi system yourself? I know that rock ape had a ricer kid do his wiring, is there some sort of vendor that will chop up your wiring to work out of a ammo can?
The honda diff gets welded just like a toyota,two plates(one on each side) that tie side gears and spiders together,then weld....takes longer to take it apart!!!





He will be getting a harness from my guy,but his makes mine look like a prototype in a battery box.....the one Xtreme gets is very thinned out in compairason

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Sarcastro's Avatar
Sarcastro Sarcastro is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 504
He will be getting a harness from my guy,but his makes mine look like a prototype in a battery box.....the one Xtreme gets is very thinned out in compairason

[/quote]


is you're guy interested in making a few more? I'm assuming he needs both the dash and engine harness?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Template-Modifications by TMS
Copyright ©2012, Offroad Fabrication Network