Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > UTV/Buggy Fabrication

UTV/Buggy Fabrication For all those doing your own fabrication on the Yamaha Rhino and other UTV's

UTV/Buggy Fabrication For all those doing your own fabrication on the Yamaha Rhino and other UTV's

Old 10-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Master Fabricator

UTV plans/ salvaged utv

Been eye ballin a rhino for a while, and notice a build up of one with a R1 drive train and thought about how much fun it would be.
To go one further, I have a Hayabusa drive train I've been hanging on to for a chopper, or buggy build, however a side x side would be fun

So decision is to build a side x side from scratch, or buy a salvage side x side and modify it.

anyone have any ideas where to find plans, or wrecked UTV's?
Old 10-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Master Fabricator

Yoshi on here is prototyping a busa powered utv. Look for the thread, I can't remember what it is called.

I would start from scratch if you have the ability. Myself, I would go cromoly tube frame, aftermarket rhino skins, busa powered, or something similar.
The price of buying a rhino (or whichever you choose) and then tearing it apart and only using a couple of parts, would be much more expensive than just starting from scratch. Unless you count on getting good $ from the unused parts.

I would love to do something like this, and have dreamed about it. I don't have the funds or spare time though.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Junior Fabricator

i would not buy a damaged UTV. you will throw away more stuff than you will use.

i have a Rhino and a RZR and heavily modded both. the price of long travel suspension is 4k-6k, you could build a badasss suspension for that on your custom frame. Rhino plastics go for $150 used, and easy to find. everything else you would have to replace.

just do it and save yourself some some hard earnned money.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Junior Fabricator

I have a completely bare Rhino frame that I bought used for $175. It was wrecked on it's first ride and shoved a front a-arm mount in and bent the frame. I bought it to use as a jig to build cages, bumpers, etc. The rest of the frame itself is in excellent shape. I thought about doing what you are talking about with it, but it would probably be easier to start from scratch. Because if you look at the bare frame, it's basically junk.

If you're looking for parts there are a couple good forums. rhinotalk.net is pretty good. And Craigslist in Phoenix always has a lot of Rhino parts for sale.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandaltered View Post
I have a completely bare Rhino frame that I bought used for $175. It was wrecked on it's first ride and shoved a front a-arm mount in and bent the frame. I bought it to use as a jig to build cages, bumpers, etc. The rest of the frame itself is in excellent shape. I thought about doing what you are talking about with it, but it would probably be easier to start from scratch. Because if you look at the bare frame, it's basically junk.

If you're looking for parts there are a couple good forums. rhinotalk.net is pretty good. And Craigslist in Phoenix always has a lot of Rhino parts for sale.
I need a base platform (frame) or blueprint to go from.
I have several different sets of buggy plans that I can reference, but I'm sure there are side x side considerations I am not aware of.
I'm thinking I want to build a long travel "Rhino" that just happens to have a busa motor
that way I can take a freind, or go solo
Old 10-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Junior Fabricator

Well, I'm only 30 miles up the road from you (across the highway from the Honda plant). I have a complete Rhino and the bare frame. You're more than welcome to stop by and take measurements.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Well, I'm only 30 miles up the road from you (across the highway from the Honda plant). I have a complete Rhino and the bare frame. You're more than welcome to stop by and take measurements.
THANKS!
I may just take you up on that, if I cant find a frame first
Old 10-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Master Fabricator

You planning on keeping it 4x4 or turning it into a dunner?Most of these rocket motor builds are 2wheelers. Because if there was a way to get back to the shaft drive, the factory diffs won't hold it.Most of the ones I've seen have a reduction box in the place of the factory diff driven by chain and have the CV outputs on them.RPM makes one and I've seen another one but can't recall it off hand. Just curious.Awsome idea.I'd just love to come across a CANAM 800 motor for my rhino that someone don't want my left arm and nutz for.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Master Fabricator

def 2wd
leaning toward a custom build, from scratch.
I have badland plans for a 2 seater, but I like the rhino style, over a buggy look.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Master Fabricator

http://www.rhinoforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=24 Maybe this will give you some ideas. It's not finished but well under way to get ideas.There is a few R1 rhinos,CanAm 800 build,RC51,and I think a Dukati 9somthing.The one listed is more of a build thread like here on OFN the rest just before and after they handed there wallet to a complete stranger.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Junior Fabricator

So I think I posted this before in another thread, but this is one of the coolest custom built sidexside's I've seen.

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/...owtopic=104718
Old 10-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
So I think I posted this before in another thread, but this is one of the coolest custom built sidexside's I've seen.

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/...owtopic=104718
I saw that one.... thinking thats the direction I'm heading.
alot of youtube videos of simular vehicle's, mostly 1000cc motors.
looks like fun
Old 10-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Master Fabricator

btt
Old 09-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Junior Fabricator

I don't know if this has been posted. I think this used to be the Sand-Bullet.
They have several different versions turnkey and plans. Utilizing 1000cc + motors and gearbox.

http://prosandbox.com/
Old 09-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Junior Fabricator

I stand corrected, Sand Bullet is still out there.

http://www.sandbullet.com/