Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Welders and Welding

Welders and Welding Which welder is best and the best way's to use them.

Welders and Welding Which welder is best and the best way's to use them.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Junior Fabricator

60 Amp Receptacle???

Hey all, I'm getting ready to wire in my new-to-me Lincoln PM255 and in the literature it stated that it requires a 60 amp circuit. I looked in the usual Box stores, the local weld shop and even contacted Lincoln's support. All I can find is 50 amp receptacles. Lincoln sent me a diagram of the one normally supplied with the unit and I saw it was rated for 50 amps. Can anyone tell me if this is OK? Am I just being overly cautious?

Also, I love the site. I've been lurking for a while and learned so much. Thank you to everyone that makes this board so great. Wow that sounded queer....
Old 09-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Master Fabricator

Where you going to find a 60 amp breaker? Use the 50 amp recep that it mates to.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Master Fabricator

I dont think i have seen a 60 amp 220 plug. I would stick with the 50 you should be fine.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Master Fabricator

So far as I know there is no such thing as a 60 amp plug or recep.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Master Fabricator

I have that same 50 amp plug/receptacle on all my machines. Some of my machines are on a circuit that has a 70 amp breaker even though the machines will draw more than that at full power. I've just been too cheap to upgrade the wireing and breaker. I've tripped the breaker a few times with no visable damage to the plugs or receptacles. I believe with machines that draw over 50 amps the manufacturers intend for the machine to be hard wired to the building.

If you tend to plug in and unplug your welder very often I would recommend checking the wire connections on both ends every so often. I seem to be always switching machines around and once in a while the wires will work loose causing arcing, sparking....and sometimes scaring the crap outta me
Old 09-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Master Fabricator

I'm sure you're okay with the 50A receptacle, because of the duty cycle of the machine. The receptacle and plug are rated for 50A continuous (100%) duty with a factor of safety. Your machine is most likely 60A at 40% duty cycle. The NEC also allows you to run smaller extension cord than would normally be allowed for that circuit for the same reason.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Junior Fabricator

Thanks for the help guys. I'll just grab the one I saw at Lowes.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Master Fabricator

fyi ,SO FAR AS i KNOW ALL PLUGS ARE AMP SPECIFIC.sO THE SHORT ANSWER IS THAT IF THE PLUG ON THE MACHINE PLUGS INTO THE RECEP YOU HAVE YOU CANNOT GO WRONG. dAMN CAPS LOCK! lol!!
Old 10-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Junior Fabricator

60 amp Circuit Breaker, Not Recepticle

Your unit is calling for a 60 amp "circuit breaker" due to the current draw when operating at the higher end of your welder. If you put in a 50 amp "breaker" you may find that you will be tripping the circuit when you operate at high current draws. The "plug" needs to mate up with the appropriate "receptacle". Your wiring also needs to meet code, for instance if you are going to use a 60 amp circuit breaker you will need to wire the circuit with #2 wire, (pretty heavy duty).