Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Master Fabricator

Contact Wheels for Stationary Belt Sander

Hey all,
Have been researching ideas for building my own stationary belt sander. I really need one, and think I am just gonna have to buckle down and ge the project off the back burner.
Im wondering where to get them, and how much I can expect to pay for contact wheels? Also, I see the different styles...some all aluminum, and some that have a rubber outer skin on them. Which do I need?
Anyone on here wanna machine some wheels for me by chance? :) Ill be happy to pay someone to do so.
Any and all input is appreciated!
Thanks!
Kyle
Old 08-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Master Fabricator

I won't even tell you how long my belt grinder has been on the back burner
I have done quite a bit of research on them in the past, so I'll try and pass some of this along.

There is a MSN group called "Home or Shop Built Grinders" that has a lot of info available from all around the world.....very good resource!
http://groups.msn.com/HomeorshopmadeGrinders

You will find that the majority of the info found on the internet is geared towards the knife making hobby/business.

Grizly sells a 10" contact wheel for one of their belt grinders that some people like to use. The pic shows the belt grinder, but the page and part # is for the wheel only.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/g9242

Beaumont wetal works makes high quality belt grinders and sells parts for the DIY as well. Kind of a one stop site for all you need.
http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/

In doing searching for info you might want to checkout "KMG Clone" That is pretty popular, especially on the MSN Group site.

Let me know if you need any more help

There was a member on here that built two belt grinders and posted pics not too long ago....I just can't remember who it was
Old 08-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Master Fabricator

Yeah Ive been doing quie a bit of research as well. www.usaknifemaker.com is a good resource as well. A little cheaper than most others on the wheels.
I think I am going to go with a simple 2 wheel vertical type sander. It should do fine for me, and I wont be using it to notch tubing or anything.
My question is, how big of a motor do I need? Im thinking about just going with a 2 HP, just so I dont have to worry about it bogging down. With only 2 wheels, I just need a drive wheel which would go on the motor, and then an idler/tracking wheel for the top correct?
Heres my idea:

Buy motor and drive wheels. Figure out where the wheels need to be mounted, how far apart, etc etc. I want to buy a piece of like 6"x1/2" aluminum flat bar, and make it mount to the side of the motor, and then have the wheels attach to it. So basically, just a piece of flat aluminum standing straight up, with the motor shaft going through a hole near the bottom, the drive pulley attached, and then the idler/tracking wheel mounted on the top.
Im still trying to figure out a tensioning mechanism to put/keep tension the belts. Something similar to this one, build by another OFN member (the one on the right in the picture).

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...t=belt+grinder

Question is...how is it attached to the motor? Do electric motors have tapped holes on the driveshaft side, to attach a flat piece of plate to??
Thanks in advance!
Kyle
Old 08-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Master Fabricator

The belt grinder that I started making is a 2 wheel design. I basically patterned it after one we had where I used to work. I was planning on using a 2hp motor also.....I think it should be enough. I don't think 1/2 x 6" aluminum flat bar will be quite wide enough or stiff enough, unless you bolt or weld a stiffener to it. I am using 3" x 3" x 3/16" steel square tube for mine. A tension and tracking mechanism is pretty simple......don't know how well I can describe it though. What you need is say a piece of 1/2" x 3 flat maybe about 9" long ( I'm just using these sizes for reference ) Drill a pivot hole in the center. On one end do whatever you like to connect a entension spring. On the other end drill a hole for your idler wheel. About half way between the idler wheel and the pivot cut the 1/2" x 3" bar and fab a pivot of your choice at the top edge so that it is perpendicular to the other pivot. You will need to have a threaded adjustment rod and knob to adjust the tracking.I hope that wasn't too confusing.

From the sounds of it you are looking for a C-frame motor. These have a machined face on the shaft end of the motor with a threaded hole pattern.

Yeah that link is the two belt grinders I was thinking of.....nice work there.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:54 AM
Master Fabricator

Here is some things I found during may search...
Here is a cad model:

detail of the tensioner from the cad model:

a couple of a complete unit from the cad model:

here is another variation, used the same parts from the model with a different motor/drive set up..

Now here are some drawings for the parts in the CAD model:

Hope this helps, I think that I will be doing one of these soon as I figure out the drive wheel/tension wheels and what size they are...
Old 08-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Master Fabricator

Karl,

Thanks for posting that!! Is there any way to get the CAD files (step, parasolids, igs)?

Thanks,

Zancat
Pro-Tools Dealer
Old 08-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Master Fabricator

X2 for posting.. thats about as simple as ya can get, I like the model thats mounted right on the motor , cool. I f I didn't have one all ready I 'd build one like that. They are handi, I use mine allot.!
Old 08-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Master Fabricator

Zancat, If I had the files you would be welcome to them, but all I have was the .jpg file I copied of the net...I might take these and turn them into AutoCAD R14 files, just don't have the time right now. Sorry...
Old 08-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Master Fabricator

Yes thanks Karl!
Now if one of the CAD experts here could put that into the proper file....
Old 08-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuenemann View Post
Zancat, If I had the files you would be welcome to them, but all I have was the .jpg file I copied of the net...I might take these and turn them into AutoCAD R14 files, just don't have the time right now. Sorry...
No worries, I can do it quick enough from the .jpg drawings. Man if I had the wheels, this thing could be built in an afternoon! What a slick design!

Any idea what size wheels to buy for the dimensioned drawings?

Zancat
Pro-Tools Dealer
Old 08-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Master Fabricator

got most of it..., not sure what formats I can write out to. Definitly step and igs. Let me know if you want it.

Zancat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	belt sander.JPG
Views:	473
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	3947  
Pro-Tools Dealer
Old 08-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zancat View Post
No worries, I can do it quick enough from the .jpg drawings. Man if I had the wheels, this thing could be built in an afternoon! What a slick design!

Any idea what size wheels to buy for the dimensioned drawings?

Zancat
Just by looking at the pics of the first one (direct drive) I'd say ~ 3.5" & 6"

A little FYI, I've read that it is preferable to have a crowned idler wheel.....easier to control tracking IIRC
Old 08-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Master Fabricator

I was doing some more searching the other day on belt grinders/sanders and found this thread over on ww. It covers a fairly simple build with a couple supplier links, and a link to another build with plans.
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=9065
Old 08-28-2008, 05:39 PM

Found this pic on another site.. GUy in Canada made it..

http://rock4xfabrication.com
1-847-672-9653
1-847-544-1823