Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Torches and Torch

Torches and Torch Plasma? Oxy? Which one? How do you use them?

Torches and Torch Plasma? Oxy? Which one? How do you use them?

Old 06-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Fabricator

Tig Thumb Controls

I have learned (not mastered) to Tig weld and I look forward to using it for alot of my projects. I learned on a foot control and the machine I am using at home has a food control as well which is great...but. I spend alot of time welding on the floor and climbing underneath a jeep chassis. A foot control is a pain when you are using your knee or you are upside down trying to tig some tubing. I've heard about hand controls and I'd like to find one for a lincoln tig machine. I looked at a few of them but there wasn't much description and they seemed to be around $200. Does anybody have any recommendations as to which ones are better than others and what are the best prices to find them for?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Master Fabricator

Search the following site..I can't seem to find it right now, but these are the parts we always used for TIGs. I personally always used the hand controls...always used the index finger for it. The ones we used were 2-way..push down one way it was a regular trigger.... and the other side would click and stay down. We used to take these switches and wire them to migs also..to set the gun up in a fixture (for welding with positioners).I'm not familiar with your TIG torch...but on the ones we used the switches were replaceable..separate from the torch itself. If you can keep your torch and only use a switch ..I don't see it costing $200.00....should be alot cheaper...

http://www.thermadyne.com/index.php

Hope this helps a little..
Brian

Last edited by Mopars 4 Life; 06-24-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Master Fabricator

Here is a better link to the thermal arc site..hope this helps..these are the best welding/cutting parts available..IMHO
ThermaDyne..Tweco..Thermal Dynamics...all this stuff..
Brian

https://www.mythermadyne.com/thc/en/...atDisplayStyle

ARGGGHHH..seems I couldn't get a direct hit for torches....sorry...

Last edited by Mopars 4 Life; 06-24-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:34 AM
Master Fabricator

After using foot pedals learning tig and using it in the workplace. I cant stand hand controls. Im used to using my toe, knee, board on top of the pedal with me a foot or two away. You know the most uncomfortable position imaginable and be there all day. One time I was on my back on a flat bed trailer(had to crawl 20 feet from an opening on the trailer) and have someone hand me the pedal and torch and helmet. I had my arms above me(past my head) and grinding the scale off a name plate bracket, then had to hold the name plate and tack it to the bracket while controlling the foot pedal. All because someone was in a rush to get the pressure vessel(did I mention this thing was 14 feet in diameter and weighed a WHOLE hell of a lot?) on the trailer to get it to the sand blast and paint place.

Ive got all sorts of stories but I wont bore you when you just asked a question.

I know that controls/on off/pedal/etc. Are sometimes called REMOTE's OR Amptrol
All the ones Ive seen on lincoln wire feeders and miller tigs are just a few of the 20 or so pin holes.
Ive seen ones that are a roller(side to side) some like a tank track(up and down). Ive heard the tank ones are easier.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lincoln-Welding-...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by B-Rad; 06-25-2008 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:53 AM
Master Fabricator

I have a hand control that I bought as part of my TIG machine package, and have used it exactly one time since I have become proficient at TIG welding. Mine is a Lincoln, which clips onto the torch, and has a slider to control the current. It has a detent in the off position, and IMO, it is too stiff to move out of the off position, and slides too hard to be of much use.

I always find a way to use the foot pedal, even when I was welding the front clip of a supermodified and managed to get stuck inside the thing for a few minutes. The Lincoln pedal that came with my machine is pretty small and light, which allows me to use it between my knees, etc. I have thought about adding some velcro straps to it so I could wear the thing like a sandal and press against any convenient surface...
Old 06-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Master Fabricator

I, too, was going to buy a hand control unit, but instead just use my foot control. My biggest beef if the charlie horses I get in my ass from using my knee!! Once those set in, I end up asking for a helper which is always a last resort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Master Fabricator

The dreaded ass cramps. Now that sucks.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Master Fabricator

I bought a hand control when I bought my TIG... quickly replaced it with a foot control. I found that I had enough to worry about with controling the torch and the movement of my thumb was throwing off the overall control of the hand.

I could probably do ok with it today but really like my foot control.

Hadn't thought of the board foot extension... good idea!
Old 06-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Fabricator

Wow, I guess before I buy one I really ought to use my instructors hand control for his Tig and see if I like it. I wasn't a drummer so it was odd to get used to using the foot control when i was first learning Tig, but now its getting close to being second nature. There is definately an advantage I beleive if I can learn to use a hand control. My instructor and a couple of volunteers at the school I go to swear by the hand control. In fact the instructor who runs a full time fab shop has not foot controls in his shop and kinda felt out of place using a foot control. So I'll have to see how I like it. Until then....anybody wanna sell those unused Lincoln thumb controls
Old 06-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Fabricating Mo' Fo'

If you had a miller I'd sell you mine. Can't stand them. Maybe I'm just uncoardinated.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Master Fabricator

Smile

Just remember some of the older lincolns have a different plug.

By using the code number and the serial number you should be good to go..

To all who read this the cost is so high because the board in the thumb control list price is like$160.00
Old 08-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Master Fabricator

I don't understand the big deal..you use your POINTER finger and it is easy as cake..plus you can wire them to your mig machine for a remote trigger....