Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Fabrication 101

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Junior Fabricator

Making Drawers?

Hi All,

I have been thinking about making a new cart to hold my MIG and plasma cutter. I've searched through some of the designs on this site... and there are some pretty good ones.

However, I think I might want to add some drawers to the one I build. That way I can throw in my spare parts, clamps, gloves, etc. However, I'm not sure what the best way to do that might be. I don't have a ton of fancy metal working tools (like benders, brakes, etc). I'm just wondering if anyone has done this before and how you have done it.

I guess I can always make the cart with enough room to add the drawer later. I'm guessng I might need to buy/make a brake before tackling this one.

Thanks,
Cartman
Old 04-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Master Fabricator

You can build the drawers in pieces and weld them together instead of using a brake. Get good quality ball bearing type sliders. I build metal furniture for a living, and have built lots of drawers. it is a great idea for a cart.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Fabricator

Sliders

I have also been looking to build a set of drawers and haven't found a good source for heavy duty slides. Any good vendors out there?
Old 04-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Master Fabricator

The depot sells drawer slides. They are not ultra heavy duty but will work fine. If you are only building one drawer here is how i would do it. Im assuming you have a grinder of some sort. I use a square to mark out the bend lines with a sharpie. Then score the line with the cut off wheel. I usually make 2 passes. About 1/4 the thickness of the material. Then bend by hand and add several tack welds on the inside. That will give it the strength back. Try it you'll be surprised how "clean" the bend comes out.
Here is one i did the other day. Compare to the straight edge.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12husky View Post
I have also been looking to build a set of drawers and haven't found a good source for heavy duty slides. Any good vendors out there?
This is a woodworking supply place but they have a great hardware selection.

http://www.leevalley.com/

Go to the HARDWARE tab and then look under SLIDES.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Master Fabricator

This was my solution to the same idea you have. Not quite as crafty as fabbing your own drawers but it works well. I just bought a cheap 3 drawer tool box from Sears and removed the top lid. First time I tried a 10 bend piece (main frame). Bend Tech Pro got it right on the money.

This cart is not complete yet as I ran out of material. I am going to add some hangers for the cables and torch lines and really need larger capacity wheels for the rear of the cart. The ones on there are some I had in the attic from a project my son built years ago in Cub Scouts and are not cutting it. Sorry about the blurry pic. I didn't have my glasses on when I took it and I'm half blind without them. It's hell getting old.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:43 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonk View Post
This was my solution to the same idea you have. Not quite as crafty as fabbing your own drawers but it works well. I just bought a cheap 3 drawer tool box from Sears and removed the top lid. First time I tried a 10 bend piece (main frame). Bend Tech Pro got it right on the money.

This cart is not complete yet as I ran out of material. I am going to add some hangers for the cables and torch lines and really need larger capacity wheels for the rear of the cart. The ones on there are some I had in the attic from a project my son built years ago in Cub Scouts and are not cutting it. Sorry about the blurry pic. I didn't have my glasses on when I took it and I'm half blind without them. It's hell getting old.
Sweet cart! I need to make a lil square one like that for my oxy/acet bottles, and an extra spot or two for nitrogen / c02 :)

I`m not to sure I want to make it big enough for a storage shelf and a small/110 MIG but that may be nifty for 25 wire for sheet metal work Great idea.
I need some small projects to learn to TIG better :)