Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Metal Forming Tools

Metal Forming Tools Air Shaping and Planishing Hammers, English Wheels, Shrinking/Stretching Machine, Metal Formers, Bead Forming Machines, Sheet Metal Brakes

Metal Forming Tools Air Shaping and Planishing Hammers, English Wheels, Shrinking/Stretching Machine, Metal Formers, Bead Forming Machines, Sheet Metal Brakes

Old 04-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Fabricator

Motor for bead roller? Pics added!!

Looking for a good source for a motor to add to my modified Woodward fab bead roller, I've gotten it to the point where it does not flex, now I want to use it by myself.

Looking for a good reversable electric motor with enough torque to pull the metal through. Any suggestions?

Last edited by murfman; 04-28-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Master Fabricator

The motors that I've seen used on some of the powered bead rollers is a Dayton gear motor. I just looked them up on http://www.grainger.com and I see that they are closing them out to make way for another model which is a bit more expensive. The only one they appear to have left is a 4rpm model 1L486 for $74.38 (the superceding models are $200). I have one of these that was taken off of an old project, and I can say that it has plenty of torque for a bead roller....and they are reversable, and variable speed capable too.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Fabricator

Belated thanks, Grainger was already sold out, but I found this:
DAYTON AC/DC GEARMOTORE MODEL # 2Z797C

Volt - 115 AC/DC
HZ - 50/60
AMPS - 1.3
Ratio - 1787:1
HP - 1/15
RPM - 2.8 F/L 9.0 N/L
Torque - 250 In.Lb

On Ebay for about the same price.. Installed it today, and made some practice beads, Works Great!! I was using a sheet of 16ga Stainless, worked it like Butta!! My bender isint flexing either!! Better not, it must weigh >85 Lbs
I have to break it all down for powdercoating, but I will get some pics up ASAP//
Old 04-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Master Fabricator

Glad you found a gearmotor that works for you. I'd like to see some pics of the mods you did to your bead roller to be able to bead 16ga stainless.....gotta be hell for stout!
Old 04-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Glad you found a gearmotor that works for you. I'd like to see some pics of the mods you did to your bead roller to be able to bead 16ga stainless.....gotta be hell for stout!
I'll get some "Naked" photos today, before I strip it down for powder coating. I am VERY happy with how it turned out.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Fabricator

Cost breakdown
Bead Roller 120.00
Foot Switch 10.00 (Ebay)
Gearmotor 75.00 (Ebay)
Steel Free scrap I had laying around
Wheel Free (from a Hopper car acess hole, I found it years ago, finally found something to use it on)
Reverse switch Free had in my junkpile

So 205.00 total, and Ive rolled 16 Ga Stainless so far with no deflection.

There is a 12" long 2 x 2 x 1/4" box leg coming off the bottom to mount in a hitch reciever I am going to add to the side of my work bench. All that is left is tearing it apart for Powder Caoting.

Shaft Coupler Detail

Motor Mounting

Foot Switch

Front side

Back side

End

16Ga Stainless
Old 04-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Master Fabricator

that isone stout bead roller. what are you rolling with it? 1/2" plate?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmod39 View Post
that isone stout bead roller. what are you rolling with it? 1/2" plate?
It's overkill, but I found the 1/2" x 5" plate for free, and there was about 2" left over when I laid it out, so I figured it was a sign
Old 04-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Fabricator

I stripped it down today to sandblast it for Powdercoating, any suggestions for color? I want someting easy to keep clean, but bright.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Master Fabricator

The hammertone powders are very durable and a little easier to clean, there are a few different colors including blue and green. Most any medium to high gloss powder, if done properly, should be easy enough to clean.

The bead roller looks good.....looks like it does a good job as well.

Last edited by Captainfab; 04-30-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Fabricator

So far I'm pretty happy with it, Those are the first beads I ever rolled..
Old 05-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Fabricator

I ended up painting it silvert "Hammertone" from Rustoleum.
I figure I'm never done tinkeringwith my creations, and this way I can repaint it when I mod it some more.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Junior Fabricator

Now that's one nice TOOL !! What did you start out with for a bead roller? Did you by a build your own "kit" or mod one? That's MINT !
Old 05-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemintcaddy View Post
Now that's one nice TOOL !! What did you start out with for a bead roller? Did you by a build your own "kit" or mod one? That's MINT !

It was a Woodward Fab bead roller My wife bought it for me for christmas. It works very good now. you cant really se it in the pictures, but there is a piece of 2x2 x 1/4" wall Box tube running down from the center. I am going to add a trailer hitch receiver to the side of my Fab table so I can mount it there when needed, also mounting my 6" vise and sheetmetal brake on the same mounts, so I do not lose workbench space. The ony problem is the weight of the bead roller, good thing I'm a strong guy
Old 08-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Fabricator

Hi, New on here,Awesome site!!! I have just finished strengthing up my bead roller, but I am having trouble finding a supplier for the motor,any ideas where I can get a 240 volt one who will ship to the UK?
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
Hi, New on here,Awesome site!!! I have just finished strengthing up my bead roller, but I am having trouble finding a supplier for the motor,any ideas where I can get a 240 volt one who will ship to the UK?
Thanks in advance!
Watch E-bay looking for gearmotor, the one I used is a Dayton brand, IIRC some can be rewired for different voltages. You may also check with Grainger, but they may be a bit pricey.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Fabricator

THANKS! Whats a good RPM to look for?
Old 08-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Fabricator

mine is rated @ 9 RPM no load. It slows down under load, which is fine for me, as it feeds the material a bit slower and (for me) makes it easier to follow my pattern layout. If I were doing production work, I'd probably look for something ~ 20 RPM no load, but for my use its perfect. I ended up with the 9 rpm by dumb luck, I was not sure how fast it would pull the material, I did the math, and tried to visualize how fast it would be, but was not sure until I fired it up for the first time.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Faster Mabricator

Could I have a bit more spam with my morning coffee. Could you make it anymore conspicuous, call yourself forkliftaccess001 and then plug your forkliftaccessories.com website like you ordered tool there. What a bunch of crap.

As for motors for bead rollers. If you are the type that likes to scrounge and design and built things there are lots of motors out there to use. I used a treadmill variable speed DC motor and controller for my bead roller. I connected it to a 16:1 right angle gearbox with a 3:1 chain drive and it gives me anywhere from about 4 rpm to 30 rpm. Because of the type of speed control that treadmills have it gives almost full torque no matter what speed the motor is running. I do have to all though that you need to be careful around DC power supplies though as it can be more dangerous then AC power.

It might save someone a bit of money to do it this way if all you want to do is power up your bead roller, but there definitely aren't many cheaper ways to get variable speed motors for bead rollers. Treadmills can usually be found ultra cheap or free as no one really wants to run or exercise these days.

There's my $.02
Jaysin

SHADOW WERX

4" x 4" gussets by Shadow Werx
Old 01-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Master Fabricator

I guess if there is one +ve to these spammers is that they can bring an old thread with some interesting info back to life.

Richard