Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Benders and Bending

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Old 03-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Master Fabricator

My Simple Little Bender

Here Are Some Pics Of All The Pcs Of The Bender I've Been Workin On. Not Quite As Elaborate As Some Of The Others On This Site. I've Done Everything On My Lunch Breaks At Work So Far. Just Gotta Machine The Surfaces In My Radius Dies, Weld Er Up And Bolt On A 12 Ton Bottle Jack. I Plan On Finishing Them This Week Then I'll Slap Some Paint On Her And Post Up Some New Pics. I Already Have Plans To Build A Full On, Superfandango Hydraulic Bender Soon. Thanks To All The Inspiration Here At Ofn. GRAND TOTAL SO FAR...$0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BP1.gif
Views:	460
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	3109   Click image for larger version

Name:	BP2.gif
Views:	289
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	3110   Click image for larger version

Name:	BP3.gif
Views:	293
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	3111  

Name:	BP4.gif
Views:	274
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	3112   Click image for larger version

Name:	BP5.gif
Views:	252
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	3113   Click image for larger version

Name:	BP6.gif
Views:	265
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	3114  

Old 03-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Master Fabricator

Looks cool,what style is it gonna be? Vertical,horizontal?
Later,Brian
Old 03-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Master Fabricator

A Little Vertical. I Just Have A 2 1/2 Car Garage So I Need To Be Able To Stash It Outta The Way. I'm Gonna Try It For A While And Learn Some More About Tube Here At Ofn Then Prolly Build A Nice Horizontal Hydro. I Want To Design My Own Based Off Of A Good Proven Design. Plus A Hydro Will Cost Me Some Money One Way Or Another. This One's Free Other Than The Bottle Jack I Need To Buy.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Master Fabricator

Yeah that's cool, I have a build up on here of a vertical bender that I built from drawings that Pro Tools gave me...HMP 200 I built this one over some of the others so I could kinda just move it over out of the way ya know.
Can't wait to see more of your stuff!
Brian
Old 04-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Master Fabricator

Almost There

WELL, I WAS WONDERIN IF I WOULD BE ABLE TO FINISH THEM THIS WEEK. WE WERE KINDA SLOW LAST NIGHT AT WORK AND THE BOSS WAS OUT SOOOO AS YOU KNOW... WHEN THE CATS AWAY THE MICE WILL PLAY. I FINISHED ALL THREE RADIUS DIES OVER ON THE SIDE WHILE I WAS RUNNING A JOB IN ANOTHER MACHINE. SWEETNESS! HE PROLLY WOULDN'T CARE BUT WHY POKE A STICK AT HIM? BESIDES HE'LL JUST FIND OUT ANYWAY THEN HE'LL TAKE SOME JOBS WITH BENDS AND I'LL BE TOTEING IT BACK AND FORTH. HE HE. NOW I JUST GOTTA WELD ER UP AND BEND SOMETHIN... ANYTHING! BUT I WAS PRETTY BUSHED LAST NIGHT WHEN I FINALLY GOT IN SO I'LL SAVE THAT FOR ANOTHER DAY. I HAD A SMOKE IN THE BASEMENT AND SOON IT WAS TIME TO RELAX. AHHH...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BP7.gif
Views:	433
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	3129   Click image for larger version

Name:	BP8.gif
Views:	328
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	3130   Click image for larger version

Name:	BP9.gif
Views:	311
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	3131  

Name:	BP10.gif
Views:	316
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	3132   Click image for larger version

Name:	BP11.gif
Views:	385
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	3133  
Old 04-01-2008, 02:57 PM
The MoFab Man

Very nice work man. I cant wait to see it finished
Old 04-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Master Fabricator

will your dies allow you to bend 180*?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Master Fabricator

UM... NOT IN ONE MOTION. PROLLY IF YOU WANNA DO 2 90'S. I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE YET. I'LL LET YA KNOW WHEN I FINISH HER UP. THE ONLY OTHER LIMITATION IS THE BEND RADIUS IS LIMITED TO 6". SHOULD WORK FINE FOR MY SIMPLE NEEDS FOR NOW. I'LL HAVE TO MAKE A SET OF THE 180* TYPE DIES FOR THE HYDRO I WANT TO MAKE NEXT. I'M JUST GOING TO FINISH THIS ONE FIRST AND MAKE A NOTCHER SO BRIAN (MOORE WELDING FAB) AND I CAN GET BUSY ON OUR BUGGIES. IT'S GETTIN WARM OUT, I NEED TO GET BUSY. HE'S ABOUT DONE AND I'M JUST GETTING STARTED. I'LL START A NEW, IN-DEPTH BUILD THREAD WHEN I START THE HYDRO BENDER. COMPLETE WITH DIMENSIONAL INFO ABOUT THE DIE SETS, MATERIAL COSTS, TOOLING REQUIREMENTS, MACHINING FILES AND INFO. STAY TUNED............
Old 04-02-2008, 02:57 AM
Master Fabricator

Nevermind all that. I just found out that kind of information is really frowned upon thru another thread. Sorry again everybody. I won't post any critical info. I'm goin back to the garage where i can't offend anyone or get into trouble.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Master Fabricator

I don't know who told you sharing that kind of information is frowned upon but this whole site is about sharing information. There are tons of threads with specs about anything and everything that people have built. I can understand that jusst ripping off someone elses design and posting it up as your own would be uncool but, posting up your own work is encouraged. I just clicked on a link for one of your threads a minute ago only to find it had been deleted. If you want CAD drawings for bender arms, there are plenty of people out there who have them. Check out pirate 4x4 and do a search for benders there. In fact, anyone building a hydro bender should check out this thread http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185940
Old 04-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badman14 View Post
I just clicked on a link for one of your threads a minute ago only to find it had been deleted.
I deleted it, only because it turned into a bitching thread, when it was meant to be tech. It didn't have any content yet, so I didn't feel bad.

Now here is the skinny.....

Keith and I work very hard to keep this board going. I own the Bend-Tech software company and Keith owns Xtreme Crawlers (who sell and support PRO-TOOLS benders). Many, many users on this board own their own productions shops that manufacture products. With that said, I will not allow direct conversation on copying the design of any product that is in any form of production or pre-production.

The 4x4 industry is full of companies stealing each others ideas and products and I will not allow that on these boards. I am not in the position to determine (nor will I put myself into this position) if one is making it for just himself or has the desire to go into production. With that said, I am going to protect the intellectual property of myself, my dealers and my customers.

If you are making your own bender, that is great. That is what we are all about. If you want a CAD file or dimensioned prints of off-the-shelf benders, this is where we struggle.

I didn't see that happening on the other thread, nor do I see it happening here yet. So at this point we don't have any problems.

Please start your question thread over with the following:
1) Use more precise questions. You said that you were making a hydraulic bender and needed some dimensions. This is way too broad and needs some interpretation. Personally I don't know how you are going to get any dimensions of anything if you don't yet know what style of bender you are going to make.

2) If you are looking for dimensions or cad files of a popular bender such as a Pro-Tools 105 or JD2 model 3 and so on, you probably won't get that information here.

3) Don't get defensive. We have had very few situations where users need to get defensive and I would like to keep it that way.

Cris
http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 04-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Master Fabricator

I'M SORRY FOR CAUSING ALL THIS TROUBLE. I GUESS I MESSED UP BY BEING TOO BROAD, BUT I WANTED A BROAD RESPONSE. AS I SAID I'VE NOT YET DECIDED ON A STYLE. THATS WHY I WANTED THE BROAD INPUT. I DON'T WANT TO DULPICATE BENDERS I COULD BUY OR ID JUST BORROW ONE AND COPY IT. MAINLY I JUST WANTED TO KNOW STUFF LIKE OAL, OAW, LENGTH FROM ONE PIVOT POINT TO THE OTHER AND SO ON. THIS IS GONNA BE MY BENDER MADE THE WAY I WANT IT. THE MOST VALUABLE TO ME WOULD HAVE BEEN FIRST HAND ACCOUNTS OF BENDERS PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY MADE FOR THEMSELVES. SUGGESTIONS ON THICKNESS, BUSHINGS, OPERATING HEIGHT, DIE CLEARANCE, DISTANCE BETWEEN RATCHET TEETH, WHAT WORKED & WHAT DIDN'T. MAINLY JUST SUGGESTIONS FOR THINGS I WOULD NOT HAVE FORSEEN UNTIL ASSEMBLY. BUT AGAIN... I'M SORRY. I CROSSED THE LINE. IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN. IL STICK TO WATCHING AND READING THREADS. THE POSTING JUST AIN'T FOR ME. (STUPID CAD COMMENT! ) WHY IS MY CAPS LOCK NOT CORRECTED WHEN I POST ANYMORE?
Old 04-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabcam View Post
I......I didn't see that happening on the other thread, nor do I see it happening here yet. So at this point we don't have any problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN CNC View Post
.......I'M SORRY. I CROSSED THE LINE. IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN. IL STICK TO WATCHING AND READING THREADS. THE POSTING JUST AIN'T FOR ME. .......

I have already stated you have not crossed a line.

(edit / added) I must say you are the first one I have seen that has fabricated his own die sets before you built or even designed your bender.

Cris Merry
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 04-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Master Fabricator

Cris(Fabcam) is not indicating you crossed the line and only is trying to explain WHY he did what he did. It is very difficult to read something without taking it the wrong way. I am sure if you had spoken with Cris, he would tell you in a joking and light-hearted manner as that is how he is.

Let's move on and keep the pics and content coming. I appreciate nice work when I see it and this is, indeed, nice.

BTW, Readers, alone provide nothing to the board ;-) It needs people such as yourself to post up! Keep up the good work.--Grant
Old 04-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Master Fabricator

Clint don't stress on it, I saw the other thread you didn't step over any lines all Fabcam was doing was stating one of the rules of this site
And to be honest mate it was a lame thread your scratch building your own design from the dies back you will understand that the gear you have will dictate the design.... your rams (volume, stroke, presure rating), pump (presure rating, flow) etc all effect the design, then theres the brief.. how fast, how big, how heavy etc ... not to mention whats avalible in your shop to build it.... whats the piont of someone elses designs your just gona have to change them to suit you anyway

that said if you still want cad profiles I can supply them for my bender, but I'll warn ya they won't be any good to you... my pump and rams are from a small digger and I will be modifing the stroke on the rams ontop of that my plans are for my own diesets, the setup is a dual action cantilever design take a look at a bucket cantilever setup on a digger add another ram and I should be able to get 180 deg from one side of the die...
oh and the reason my cad files arn't any good to ya... I only cad what I need burned at the CNC'ers rest of my designs are paper I still find it so much easyer to **** with paper than cad, keep your eyes open on here you'll pick up alot, heres a build thats changed my plans recently
Tig Artist's Bender
Now as jackalope said
Quote:
Let's move on and keep the pics and content coming. I appreciate nice work when I see it and this is, indeed, nice.

BTW, Readers, alone provide nothing to the board ;-) It needs people such as yourself to post up! Keep up the good work.--Grant

Cheers Reece
De Ranged Engineering
Old 04-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Fabricator

Yes, that is nice looking work. Sure should be better than my brake rotor and torch.
That Harbor Freight tube bender might be re-incarnated as a shop press. It'll ruin a piece of steel that costs more than the tool.
Bending tubing will be a new art for me, I'm looking forward to learning it . It'll bring alot more ideas to reallity.

I dont think I'd call my thing a buggy, tho. It will be a nice practice platform for techniques and new applications--like 4 link- another off road upgrade I'd like to try.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Master Fabricator

Captain CNC please continue posting your work, I really enjoy seeing what you're doing. Your work is great and I'm envious of what you can do with your abilities and equipment.

As was already stated, you haven't crossed any lines, so don't be afraid to post. What you're doing is your own design and not copying someone else's and there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Master Fabricator

Here's how i made my straps. Just slobbed some bend fixtures together outta some scrap at work then heated the 5/16" flatbar and stuck it in the press. I still gotta do the other 2 for 1 3/4 and 2" dia's. Seems like it should work ok. Can someone elaborate on what the position of the block has to do with how far the die has to rotate to begin bending the tube?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BP20.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	3229   Click image for larger version

Name:	BP21.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	3230  
Old 04-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN CNC View Post
Can someone elaborate on what the position of the block has to do with how far the die has to rotate to begin bending the tube?
Just imagine placing the block one more hole down the arm and then bending the part.

Cris Merry
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 04-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Master Fabricator

Here's the plans i've come up with for my bender. I had some plans i got online but just used it for the basic overall layout (length width and height). I've changed almost everything to handle larger tube, beefed up all the material reqs, and used 3/4" dowels in place of 1/2" rod for all the pivot points and 1" O-1 thru the main die. It's kinda cluttered up cause of all the construction lines but you can see how i made the dies out of 3 pcs rather than one as thats all we had in the rack at work. The clearance between the dies can be adjusted somewhat by changing the shim thickness under the linear die (follower). It's kinda hard to read but you get the idea. I resized the image so you could all see better but when i post it it's small again. If someone could tell me how to post it larger i'll do that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BENDER.gif
Views:	723
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	3238   Click image for larger version

Name:	bender2.gif
Views:	353
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	3239