Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Fabricator

shop press air hydraulic jack conversion?

Now that I have some dimple dies, pumping the bottle jack on the shop press is getting pretty tiresome. I was wondering about using a air hydraulic bottle jack.

Something like this thing ($70 from harbor freight)

Has anyone done this conversion?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Master Fabricator

Never tried it but seems like a great idea! Only problem I can foresee is when you really need ot crank down on the jack using all your strength, I don't know that air-over can force that much.

J. J.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Junior Fabricator

I've got this same jack on my press at the shop. I've been very pleased sofar. I busted the old hand pump one and went to get another on a sunday afternoon. This was right beside the replacement, so I snagged it instead.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Master Fabricator

Just noticed .... i looks liek you can still use it with the handle anyway???

J. J.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Master Fabricator

Yes you can still use the hand pump.

But you'd be surprised how much pressure the air over hydraulics can put out. They do just as much as you can with much less effort. I used to rebuild these things for a living.

They don't want you to know this, but there is a cap you can remove and adjust the screw under it to get more power out of these. Most jacks are set below what they are rated. When I used to rebuild them I would turn them up to what the manufacturer actually rated them at, then put a new cap on so no one else could adjust it. You really need a gauge though, because its possible to turn it up too much, and overload the jack.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Junior Fabricator

so where's this cap you speak of? I'm not at the shop, or I'd investigate myself.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Master Fabricator

O.K. You can't just leave us hangin'!!

What cap and what adjustment screw???

More info on this please!
Old 02-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Master Fabricator

I wll investigate on one of my HF bottle jacks and see if I can find you guys a specific location or a picture.

I never rebuilt any HF jacks, so I can't gaurantee they have them. We mostly did Lincoln, Hein Werner, and other misc. rebadged American made jacks. I have all 3 of my 1 1/2 ton Hein Werner O-Boys set up to lift about 2 tons. But when I would do an air over hydraulic unit, usually aroudn 50 tons, they onyl put otu around 40 and we would bump them up.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Master Fabricator

I am planning on putting a power team cyl on my press... It'll be the same as the bender, but shorter stroke. they make a cool mounting base for them. Then can use same pump and quick connect as the bender's air / hydro.

Zancat
Old 02-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Fabricator

those power team cyl. look great but they are a LOT more expensive than the air/hydro bottle jacks.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Junior Fabricator

Bottle jack conversion

Maybe somebody out there has done this. I have 4 motorcycle scissor jacks rated at 300 pounds each, I am using them to raise and lower a platform. They have a small bottle jack attached to the scissor assembly. How do I hook all 4 bottle jacks together to operate at the same time and convert the jacks to work with an external hydraulic pump? I think that I may need a resevoir as well. Any help is appreciated...
Old 06-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Master Fabricator

I wouldn't worry at all about putting one of those on your press, unless you really like pulling the handle.

I have 2 40 ton Big Red jacks in my service truck and the hand pump pistons are locked up from lack of use, given the choice, squeeze the valve or jack that some bitch off, I am squeezing all day.

As to the underpowered question, we have blown up a 40 ton jack (pulled the threads out of the top cap) using 175 psi air, just a thought.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRig View Post
Now that I have some dimple dies, pumping the bottle jack on the shop press is getting pretty tiresome. I was wondering about using a air hydraulic bottle jack.

Something like this thing ($70 from harbor freight)

Has anyone done this conversion?
I upgraded a while ago and finally used it today. I gotta say it sure beats the hand pump... Dimpled 1/8" quickly and without the normal distortion of the plate.

Three thumbs up for the upgrade with the 20% coupon
Old 06-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Master Fabricator

I recently did the same and I have to say that the saved effort was well worth way more than the $70 I paid for mine, too. The locking loop on the trigger of that thing is downright dangerous though! It wanted to slip into the locked position whiel I was using it and then I would let off the trigger and it would keep going! I removed it after about 5 minutes of use.

J. J.

Last edited by patooyee; 06-28-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
The locking loop on the trigger of that thing is downright dangerous though! It wanted to slip into the locked position whiel I was using it and then I would let off the trigger and it would keep going! I removed it after about 5 minutes of use.

J. J.
I hated the hand trigger on the HF ram conversion on the bender so i upgraded to a foot control, i set it up with quick couplings and can use on the press as well