Reviews Reviews

Closed Review

Review Tools
Pro-tools MODEL 3K Bead Roller Kit
Published by KeithXtreme
04-27-2007

In the past couple of months, there has been a huge interest in bead rollers here on the OFN. Everyone customizing them, wanting to learn about them and so on. Since I am a Pro-tools dealer, I contacted my salesman Jim Ward over there and had him send me the Model 3K kit out. I chose the kit, because everyone here on the OFN is more about building most things than just buying them. Also because it is the electric kit and I did not want to make bead rolling into a two man job by using the manual one.

Pro-tools offers a wide range of Bead Rollers, not just in kit form. Here are their offerings:
Model 2 - 24" MANUAL BEAD ROLLER, COMPLETELY ASSEMBLED, PAINTED, WITH ONE SET OF ROUND ROLLS READY TO USE. $295

Click image for larger version

Name:	model2.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	2205

Model 2K - SAME BEAD ROLLER AS THE MODEL 2 BUT IN KIT FORM. ALL MACHINE WORK IS COMPLETE, INCLUDES ONE SET OF ROUND ROLLS AND DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS $195

Name:	model2k.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	2206

Model 3 - ELECTRIC BEAD ROLLER, COMPLETE, ASSEMBLED, PAINTED, INCLUDING POWER DRIVE, WITH FORWARD/REVERSE SWITCH, VARIABLE SPEED FOOT CONTROL AND ONE SET OF BEAD ROLLS. $495

Name:	model3.jpg
Views:	2797
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	2207

Model3K - SAME BEAD ROLLER AS THE MODEL 3 BUT IN KIT FORM. INCLUDES ALL THE ELECTRIC POWER DRIVE SYSTEM WITH FOOT CONTROL, SWITCHES, MISC. NUTS, BOLTS, ELECTRICAL CONNECTORS, GEAR GUARDS AND ONE SET OF ROUND ROLLS AND DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS $395

Name:	model3kit.jpg
Views:	1221
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	2211

All Pro-tools Bead Roller capacity: ROLLS 18ga. MILD STEEL & 16ga. ALUMINUM

Pro-tools also offers around 35 different roll sets to chose from. Ranging in price from $50 to $139. One of these set I am particularly interested in, is the 1.5" Tube Edge Roll Set. This Roll Set was designed specially for wrapping the edge of your aluminum around a roll bar. Here is a link: http://www.pro-tools.com/m3_prolls_3.htm

On to the assembly.

Chopworx.com
Contents

<< <    Next Page: Kit Contents (Page 1 of 8)    >  >>
By ScooteK on 04-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Excellent write up Keith. Great looking roller. Do your casters lock? I put mine
on wheels and it trys to get away from me when in use.

That roller looks like a great tool. It looks like you get what you pay for as
well. Definetly worth the extra dollars for the extra features. If I end up using
this kinda tool often I will prob. upgrade to something like this. The 2 man
opperation is well... the other guys fault!

Look forward to more tips and stuff from you and everyone else interested.
By KeithXtreme on 04-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Yes, they are locking casters....that was probably the most expensive part of the stand at $7 ea.....I got them though because they are the single bolt screw in type and I can level the stand with them....All four lock and with the weight of the roller it does not go anywhere, I tried some 18ga mild steel doing a bead around the whole outside edge and it did not go anywhere....

After building it and using it so far.....I would put it up against any of the $1500 units out there....as soon as I get the 1/8" step I will try some designs...But I most definitely want the 1 1/2 " Tubing Edge Roll Set it will give a whole new look to body panels on the rigs and would be great for tube fenders

Thanks for the props, I wish you lived out here you would be a blast to work with....Keith
By sapper on 05-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Great write up I guess I will have to start counting pennies to add this to my ever growing list of tools. It is something I have wanted for a VERY long time. I didn't even know that there was a die for doing that but I am very glad you pointed it out. Do you know if they make one for doing the same thing but for 2" tubing?
By KeithXtreme on 05-02-2007, 08:51 AM
I dont know about the 2", but the 1.5" will also tap over a 1 5/8" or 1 3/4"
By troutbum on 01-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Keith, do you have the motor upgrade in stock?? running this by myself is more a PITA than I expected?
Closed Review