Reviews Reviews

Closed Review

Review Tools
JD2 Model3, Pro-tools 105, and JMR Benders Compared
JD2 Model3, Pro-tools 105, and JMR Benders Compared
Published by KeithXtreme
02-28-2007
Arrow JD2 Model3, Pro-tools 105, and JMR Benders Compared

Welcome to what just may be the first unbiased comparison of the JD2 Model3, Pro-tools 105, and JMR Benders. There is a lot of the old Ford vs Chevy mentality towards these companies. Owners of these benders have a loyal appreciation of these products with due reasons. These are arguably the most popular benders under $1000.

I personally with the OFN have had many requests to compare these products. Tons of questions flow in each day about these products and until now has never been answered in a clear and concise manner on the Internet. This is a huge responsibility and I tread into it with some trepidation.

You may ask, “How can you be unbiased, when you have sold Pro-tools for 4 years? that is a good question. I have indeed been a dealer of Pro-tools products for almost 4 years and recently was approached by JD2 inquiring about Xtreme Crawlers possibly selling their products. Which is how this all started, I knew a little about the Model3 bender but not enough to make any educated statements about it. You can see this in my responses to users on this very site.

JD2 offered to send me a package consisting of their Model3 Bender, Degree Ring, Handle, all hardware, and 3 Dies. Then JMR heard about the comparison and wanted to get in on it. So they sent me a complete mechanical bender package, along with a full Hydraulic Conversion kit.

So with that said, I am in the unique situation to have all three benders and the ability to take measurements and use them. I will at no time throughout this comparison offer any personal opinions or remarks. I am simply the source by which to deliver the specs to you the user.

I fully encourage the manufacturers to participate in this comparison, by posting up their remarks and knowledge. I also encourage all the users to post up their experiences, customer service issues, concerns, and questions. Etc. But at no time will this become a bashing of any companies products, a flaming war, or vehicle to repeat hearsay. This review/comparison is designed for you the user or customer to ask or make informed decisions about your bender or the purchase of a bender.

Lets begin, this comparison will be based upon the JD2 Model3, JMR Mechanical Bender w/hydro conversion and the Pro-tools 105 w/hydro conversion.

What we will cover in this comparison will be the specs of the main arms, swing arms, pins, stop and degree, and dies. More specifically the 1.75 die, which is the most popular and any crossover parts and accessories. There will be two parts; Part 1 will cover the main arms, swing arms, pins, stop and degrees, and Dies. Part 2 will cover actually bending tubing.

Note: To view the photos in this comparison and get the most out of the comparison, you need to register on the OFN.
http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/register.php

Chopworx.com
Contents

<< <    Next Page: Main Arms (Page 1 of 8)    >  >>
By KeithXtreme on 02-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Be sure to post up in this Review it is open to everyone!
By Captainfab on 03-01-2007, 01:31 AM
Member reviews
Content
100%100%100%
Photos
100%100%100%
Educational
100%100%100%
Entertaining
20%20%20%
Average 80%
Keith, good job with this review so far, I'm looking forward to the rest.

At some point in this review could you demonstrate the proper use of the adjustable stop on the PT105STD? I haven't taken much time to figure mine out, but then again I haven't asked anyone either. I'm pretty sure I know how it works, but I haven't used it yet. I just thought it might be nice to show so everyone can see. Thanks for taking the time to do this review.
By KeithXtreme on 03-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Its back up and ready for everyone.....
By fabcam on 03-27-2007, 07:06 PM
all 3 side by side

First time I have heard of someone getting a chance to break down the nuts and bolts of each bender and seeing what they look like side by side.

Thanks for the review.

NOTE: For guests who are not members..... Sign up and be a member, the pictures are much easier to see.

By TheBandit on 03-27-2007, 07:44 PM
That's a nice set of photos outlining the few differences among the benders. One thing that's been rumored is that the JMR and Pro Tools dies are interchangeable. Is this true?
By fabcam on 03-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
One thing that's been rumored is that the JMR and Pro Tools dies are interchangeable. Is this true?
Yes

Quoted from the reveiw:
Backing block pin holes on the Pro-tools 105 and JMR Benders are .125” apart and .375” apart on the Model3, combine this with different drive pin locations on the dies and this means that dies are not interchangeable between JD and either Pro-Tools or JMR. But the dies from Pro-tools and JMR are interchangeable.
By Rock4XFab on 03-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Keith the write up is very informative. I do have one question. Every die I have purchaced (all 240 for Pro-Tools) have had the tension block already welded to it. When I purchaced new follow dies They sent me ones with no block welded so I enquired. They Pro-Tools told me that on the 240 deg you get the block pre-welded, but it was not used on the 120 deg units although they are the same follow die, and if I had speified which die I had the new ones would have come with them. 2 days later the parts showed up for me to weld on. Great customer service..
By KeithXtreme on 03-28-2007, 12:33 AM
That is news to me, Jim my sales person there had always told me they do not put them on unless 4130 was specified as a material you would be bending.

But over the years, Jim had just grown accustomed to adding it to all my die orders. So that is good info to have and just goes to show you the great customer service they have. I could not have the kind of customer service I have unless they backed me the way that they do.

I also try to keep a few of those tabs in stock for just such occasions.....
By KeithXtreme on 03-28-2007, 01:51 PM
I just got off the phone with Jim, the owner of JMR and there are a few corrections to some of the statements in the comparison. I have changed them in the comparison, but I also wanted to post them here for a quick reference.

I originally said the dies from JMR where Steel Billet, they are in fact made from Cold Rolled Alloy Bar Stock and CNC Machined.

The finish of the JMR bender was quoted as being Hard Anodized, they are in fact Black Zinc Hard Coated.

I had a few questions today on those issues and JMR cleared them up for me.
By Corban_White on 06-07-2007, 08:08 PM
so how's part two comming?
By DevinSixtySeven on 06-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Member reviews
Content
100%100%100%
Photos
80%80%80%
Educational
100%100%100%
Entertaining
20%20%20%
Average 75%
Excellent writeup! Definately makes it easier for first-time buyers.

The only question I have relates to the listed capacities...they're stated as max OD, but not material or wall thickness. It appears from just the listed specs that the JMR can handle a 2.5" OD round tube, but is that HREW, DOM, 4130, and in what wall thickness?

Thanks very much,
Sean

**Found it with some web wheeling...JMR states 0.25 wall 4130, I'm having trouble finding a max capacity for the 105HD...anyone know offhand? Thanks!
Last edited by DevinSixtySeven; 06-07-2007 at 09:09 PM..
By KeithXtreme on 06-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinSixtySeven View Post
Excellent writeup! Definately makes it easier for first-time buyers.

The only question I have relates to the listed capacities...they're stated as max OD, but not material or wall thickness. It appears from just the listed specs that the JMR can handle a 2.5" OD round tube, but is that HREW, DOM, 4130, and in what wall thickness?

Thanks very much,
Sean
I could not get any specs on the JD stuff for tubing, they always say call.....Pro-tools is .134 4130 and The JMR is .250 wall 4130 because it has the heat treated backing block......
By DevinSixtySeven on 06-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Member reviews
Content
100%100%100%
Photos
80%80%80%
Educational
100%100%100%
Entertaining
20%20%20%
Average 75%
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithXtreme View Post
I could not get any specs on the JD stuff for tubing, they always say call.....Pro-tools is .134 4130 and The JMR is .250 wall 4130 because it has the heat treated backing block......
So if I get this right (new at this stuff!), the difference in capacity is the die set, not the arms or pins, correct? So the 105HD could do a 2.0 OD .134 4130 if it were running hydro, or I had a herd of gorillas handy?

Thanks,
Sean
Last edited by DevinSixtySeven; 06-07-2007 at 09:13 PM..
By KeithXtreme on 06-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Its a combination of both....you need nice thick arms to do 2" and the benders have to be made with enough clearance to fit a two inch die....

But yes you could do 2" on the 105hd .134 4130 with the breaker par they sell...it is not easy but you can do it....
By KeithXtreme on 10-02-2007, 04:47 PM
The Pro-tools and JMR are very easy to bend manually with, because the swing arms are longer than the JD arms. As far as bend quality, they are all about the same, which is inherent on proper setup and the use lube....

What I wanted to test was the claims of .250 wall bending and just have not got to it.....As soon as I can get to it I will, thanks for your patience....Keith
By shokid13 on 01-16-2008, 01:49 AM
Send them to me and I'll do the test!
By TUBETEK on 02-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Whoa I just found out that I bought the (according to this article) best bender on the market. Wheww, I'm glad I did one thing right when I was just stareting out. Now I finally know that the grand I dropped on the bender and all the differant dies was woth it.
By KeithXtreme on 02-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Which one did you buy? for the record.....
By TUBETEK on 02-09-2008, 10:57 AM
I bought the m-tech bender, but I think its a knock off of the others. No special tooling on the pins, no laser on the degree wheel just a plain old bender that works everytime I use it.
Closed Review