Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Master Fabricator

Chassis Jig

After looking at several different jigs I came up with this design. Any suggestions before I fab it up?

I haven't decided weather to go 8' or 10' for the length and I haven't decided on a good height - maybe 2'?
And what about the width between the rails?

Main rails - 2" x 6" C-channel
Legs - 4" x 2"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jig1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1183  
Old 12-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Fabricator

Chassis Jig

In my opinion you should go with the longest jig you can build. If you went with the shorter one, sure enough you will be saying " damn I wish I built this thing a little longer". As far as width, I built mine at 3.5 feet. I notice you have what looks like movable cross members, I used this exact concept, thats why I made the jig a little narrower, the cross members can make up any width issues. I set my height at 24" and it is perfect, (I'm over 6' tall however). Except for the main rails, I used 3x4 1/4 wall tube, you jig has the same basic design as the one I built and I have had no real problems with the layout.

Hope this helps
Corey
CoMax Racing
Old 12-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Master Fabricator

I made my jig 26" wide out side to out side. I will measure it tomarrow but I believe it is close to 20 feet. I know that I can put an entire car on it. I would not make it any shorter than 120" or 10ft. I like having mine longer becouse I make extra brackets to hold other things like the body and such in place while building the rest. Mine is nothing fancy much like everything esle in my shop. I make a lot of my own tools and such. 99% of the time they are made from scaps. My jig is made from 2x3 tubing. The legs are just 1 3/4 tubing with ajusters and the bottoms to level it up. I have found simpler is most of the time better.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:36 AM
laser whore!

I'd use what you've got drawn but find a local shop to either bend up channels with holes precut or somebody that can cut you precision holes in the beams.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:06 AM
Junior Fabricator

I made my Jig / Fab table out of 4 inch wide flange beam .250" thick. Its 48 inches wide 120 inches long and 24 inches tall. I would definitely go as long as possible. I used 4 inch square tubing for the legs .250 inch thick wall. I made plates for the bottoms of the legs out of .500 inch plate and welded a 1 inch fine thread nut onto the plate (I drilled a hole in the plate so a bolt can go through). I used a bolt in the bottoms of all 4 legs so I could adjust the jig so it was level.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Master Fabricator

Lets see some of these tables. I have one that is in storage right now while I am building my new 40x80 shop and when thats done I want to build a new chassis table, something more user friendly. This one will have some big metal casters so I can move it with out my frontend loader

JOSH
Old 01-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Junior Fabricator

Hate to be a dink about this but did you design and draw yourself??? That looks like the one i was going to buy from a shop....
Old 04-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Fabricator

table

There are a few really awesome manufactured tables out there. Unfortunatley you will have to give up all your limbs to get them. We get really good prices on steel due to the trailer business so it wasn't too bad.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Master Fabricator

Try
Old 04-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Master Fabricator

jack it

Try using leg jacks to level table this will make things alot easier in the long run. Make sure they are sturdy.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Junior Fabricator

i would make it with an open center for those hard to reach places. also make it wide enough to have your wheels and tires mounted for any additional measurements such as ride heights and for other fab work such as body mounting for checking the ground to bottom of body heights.