Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Software Tech/Questions

Software Tech/Questions Do you use CAD? Curious about it? It can be a great tool to have in the shop. This is the place to talk about it!

Software Tech/Questions Do you use CAD? Curious about it? It can be a great tool to have in the shop. This is the place to talk about it!

Old 10-18-2006, 05:58 PM

Solidworks ?: Creating a dimple/flared hole in sheetmetal

I am drawing up preliminary plans for a new roof rack for my Explorer. I am planning to use my dimple die set on the sheetmetal "uprights" that connect the top and bottom of the rack. I did a little looking around on the net last night to find how to do it but I am still running into a problem I cant figure out.

I created the sheetmetal part and then used the countersink emboss forming tool to make the flared hole but I cant change the size or for some reason constrain the placement of where the hole is located on the object. Has anyone done this before and know how to do this?

Here is a screenshot of what it looks like and the forming tool I used from the design library. It was pretty nice just to drag and drop it where I wanted the hole but I cant figure out how to modify the size. Using Solidworks 2005.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solidworks-dimple-screenshot.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1026  
Old 10-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Junior Fabricator

Brian1,

I'm a little behind on the times.....still using Solidworks 2003.

But, I've played around trying to make dimpled / flared holes in Solidworks and I found one way... though it may not be the best way.

For the part picture I've included below I made my rectangle sketch then went to Insert, Sheet Metal, Base Flange then specified material thickness ex .0625".

Next added a couple circles with the dimension of the start dimple/flare from flat then cut extruded the holes.

Then go to either the side or top profile of your hole and draw a centerline so that the following features will be located on the inside edge of your circle and not "floating" on the top or right side plane. A tangent arc can be drawn as your radius and the a line for the flat raised part of the dimple.

This is a quick dimple die without accurate dimensions just to get the idea across.

Next I made a centerline to revolve around.

Exited sketch then went to Insert, Surface, Revolve then specified 360 degrees.

Here's a close-up of the dimpled sheet.

Good luck with your roof rack, I'll have to keep an eye out for it here on OFN.

Last edited by BMXplorer; 10-22-2006 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:01 PM
OFN Member

Those look good......Cannot wait to see the whole rack.....I need one for my X...

Chopworx.com
Old 10-22-2006, 07:49 PM

thanks BMXplorer, I might try that. I should only have to do it 2x and then coppy/mirror them around the whole rack.

Here is a sneak peek for you guys. I still have some more work to do and the dimensions are all guesstimates right now but you get the idea. My sheet metal brake comes tomorrow to make the uprights and then I need to order a 1" die from you Keith sometime in the next few months. It probably wont be untill the first of next year when I get started on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sneak peek xplor rack.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1043  

Last edited by Brian1; 10-22-2006 at 07:53 PM.