Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Welders and Welding

Welders and Welding Which welder is best and the best way's to use them.

Welders and Welding Which welder is best and the best way's to use them.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:23 AM
Junior Fabricator

diy portable spoolgun questions.

i have been looking into buying a ready welder for a long time now and the more i look into them gets me to thinking why cant i just build my own.
i have found a wide variety of spoolguns being sold dirt cheap and i can probably build the whole thing for less than $100 so has anyone around here tried doing it?
i plan to run it on 24v so i guess the most important part is what voltages does the drive motors operate at?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:20 AM
Master Fabricator

Red face

Most all spool guns run at 24VAC just like most wire feeders.

Because they all connect via the same control cables from the different manufactures .

If you could supply your 24 VAC then your 24VDC welding voltage you would have a sweet spot where it would weld.

The spool gun needs the control circuits either in the power source or in a external device like a WC-24 in A Miller made set up.

then to do the welding
Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Junior Fabricator

Ok so sounds like the ac drive motor is going to be an issue wish I had a spool gun in front of me I could possibly swap in a dc motor or some type of power supply to convert it.
I'm dead set on doing this if I can round up the right parts.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:16 AM
Junior Fabricator

does anybody know if stey use 540 size motors like a rc car?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming9 View Post
If you could supply your 24 VAC then your 24VDC welding voltage you would have a sweet spot where it would weld.
24VAC... how many amps?

Old 01-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Junior Fabricator

Unfortunatly it would be like a ready welder as were you just pull the trigger and run with it.
I'm thinking around 200 amps.
And before that topic becomes an issue let me say this welder will be used for trail repairs.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by novacayne75 View Post
Unfortunatly it would be like a ready welder as were you just pull the trigger and run with it.
I'm thinking around 200 amps.
And before that topic becomes an issue let me say this welder will be used for trail repairs.
Yes the welding amperage could be 100+ but I'm thinking that part of the 24VAC is control and spool drive motor power.
I'm only here because you have a good idea and I could used a trail repair option. As I have said before I am not a e'Lectrical people but I try.
We can weld with some cables, batteries, and a stick; but a Spool gun would be cooler and if the price can come down to something I could justify having never needed to weld anything on my junk on the trail in 3+decades
E

Old 01-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Junior Fabricator

I
A member in the club has a ready welder and it has saved our tails many times. And me being one of a few fab guys in the group I get called on to do trail repairs often.
Having an onboard welder doesn't really help when the rig being welded on is 100 yds up the trail ahead of me so I have to have battery power.
I googled diy spoolgun welder and found a link where sombody ghetto hacked one together and it works.
So ill figure it out.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by novacayne75 View Post
I
A member in the club has a ready welder and it has saved our tails many times. And me being one of a few fab guys in the group I get called on to do trail repairs often.
Having an onboard welder doesn't really help when the rig being welded on is 100 yds up the trail ahead of me so I have to have battery power.
I googled diy spoolgun welder and found a link where sombody ghetto hacked one together and it works.
So ill figure it out.
I'd love to see what you come up with. Like I said I'm interested.

E

Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Junior Fabricator

Well then help me out here.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:29 AM
Master Fabricator

I wonder, a ready welder is only 599... if you buy the spool gun and cables.. what's that? like 350? and you've got to reverse engineer all the resto of it.. minus the safety.. I'm following the thread but I just think. "why not save up the extra couple hunny " and go with the already developed. if having the device is the objective.

if the engineering and the fun factor of doing it yourself is it. then have at it.. but that's my .02
Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastro View Post
I wonder, a ready welder is only 599... if you buy the spool gun and cables.. what's that? like 350? and you've got to reverse engineer all the resto of it.. minus the safety.. I'm following the thread but I just think. "why not save up the extra couple hunny " and go with the already developed. if having the device is the objective.

if the engineering and the fun factor of doing it yourself is it. then have at it.. but that's my .02
In my case when compared to stacking batteryz, a dedicated set of cables and a few sticks of 6013 (my choice), being generous costs maybe $100 and will make any structural repair I could ever want on the trail. I've looked at the Ready welder et-al for years and I still don't own one, this is more the build it might shave the price down to something I can justify...
Too many other toys I want that rate higher.

E

Old 01-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastro View Post

i have found a few used spool guns for less than $100. so i guess thats one reason its worth trying.
i think its worth trying if i can do it for couple hundred bucks and then put that extra money into something that i cant fab.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Master Fabricator

There needs to be a trigger power that will drive the spool-gun and fire a contactor that would be powered but (portable) by two deep cycle (or) Batteries. It makes sense that the voltage be 24VDC But...
The basic layout is in the attached and it uses 110/120VAC
One way to get around that would be to use an Inverter which can be had for a few coins, depending on the amperage needed to drive the spool motor and controls.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o190753l_mil.pdf

E

Old 04-19-2013, 12:17 AM
Master Fabricator

I know this is an older thread, but did anything ever come out of this project?
A friend of mine got the ready welder and we were actually using it to build a shelter on a rec site (volunteer thing by the Four Wheel Drive Association of BC) and we had to do a fair bit of welding. We had 6 batteries with us, and 2 trucks, couple of jumper cables and were running it 36V. It welded great for about 15 minutes on and off, great by trail standards not shop standards. You can tell instantly when the amperage in the batteries is dropping because the welding is getting worse. We went through the batteries quickly and were constantly charging them up. Granted, if this was a trail repair, it would not have been that demanding and required that much welding.
As for a home made spool gun, if you get motors that can run 24VDC or 36VDC, or get a step down transformer to run them at 24 or even 12. You need a voltage control to control the wire speed, the rest is pretty much like battery arc welding, only with a wire feed. I don't think they have any real isolators for the batteries in them.
It should work.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Junior Fabricator

I ended up getting a deal on a ready welder with all the extras but I'm not happy with it so when I have a little extra time I'm still gong to make a portable spool gun because I feel as if the ready welder is a compromise
Old 06-02-2013, 02:17 AM
Junior Fabricator

Post #1 :)

Planning on converting this spool gun for trail use. 030 flux core steel wire is the plan. Just have to make an LM317 IC the variable voltage
source for the wire feed controller. Preliminary tests indicate this wire feed motor operates well in
the range of 3~9 volts dc and draws 160 milli-amps.

Last edited by gearinstalls.com; 06-02-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Junior Fabricator

Looks like I have myself a $120 trail wirefeed welder :) The 24 volts is just fine for 1/8" to 1/4" mild steel. In the interests of simplicity, instead of the LM317 voltage chip for the wirefeed control, I chose to experimemnt with small AA batteries.... 4.5volt is too low.......6.0 volt is just about right.....7.5v is too fast....and this is for 030 flux core.

Wire is loaded up.

I've had this 1/2 spool for 10 years now so it's time to use some of it.

This is fluxcore so positive ground.

the negative lead goes to the brass end.

Right side is the red attached to +......left side is the black negative of the battery cable jumper attached to -........middle is a jumper.

Got these online. 20 amp/hours is a long ways from car batteries but 3 times better than the old Harborfreight Century 131B portable welder with the 2 tiny internal batteries....if anyone knows what I am talking about.

I cut off the black interface jack and will solder on my own alligator clips in the near future.

Red and white are plus and minus for the wirefeed motor....yellow and green come from the trigger. Connecting up my 6 volts as shown lets me use the trigger to start/stop the wire. Picture is hard to see but 6v positve goes to the red wire....negative goes to the YELLOW.....green and white just get twisted together. This is how you can use the trigger to interrupt the voltage to the wirefeed motor. Very easy. I really like the KISS principle.

Here's my way under-powered wirefeed battery juice set-up....Wire feed rate might speed up/slow down based on how much of a birds nest my 4 pound spool is. Imagine the smoother feed with a BIG 6 volt battery similar to the two 12 volters. Here, I am using 5 re-chargeables....5 time 1.2volts....or I could use 4 alkalines.....4 times 1.5volts...same effect.

Here, I am going to run a up to down vertical weld.

wow, sure has a nice quiet hissy sound unlike the BUZZZZ of a 120vac garage unit. I'm not doing a steady vertical feed....I'm weaving it back and forth similar to C's. Feels real good.

Here, I am doing a horizontal weld.....doing C's.

Here's the un-retouched vertical weld....flux-core leaves a light coating of slag like stick. Sure looks ugly here with all that yellow/brown burn smokey crap.

Here's the horizontal weld....ugly as hell untouched.

Vertical weld cleaned up........

horiz weld cleaned up. This "spoolgun" is going in my trucks toolbox for those trail rides ...... :)

Last edited by gearinstalls.com; 06-09-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Master Fabricator

Red face

Took me a while to figure out the name.

welcome to OFN

then to do the welding
Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice Work!

I set myself up a set of cables with battery terminals and stinger/ground clamp for trail repairs. It has saved myself and many others on the trail over the years.