Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Old 01-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Master Fabricator

They are a Fab Four light kit. Cant remember the price on them. They come with the bezels, brackets, lights and wiring! He came back for a 30" Rigid LED light bar. Started on his rear bumper today that will have a swing out tire carrier and Rigid diffuser back up lights.

Last edited by IRIDEKTM; 01-29-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Master Fabricator

Got the rear bumper done. Came out pretty good. Not a huge fan of the tire carrier but that is what he wanted so thats what he got! Its offset for the backup camera to still work where its at.

Day at work in my thinking chair

About 4 hours later

Tire carrier

Back from Line-X

Made a prerunner style bumper for a Tacoma the other week

Been working on the shops Ultra 4 buggy in between everything and finally got some time to get some work done on my own project

Last edited by IRIDEKTM; 02-06-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Master Fabricator

You sir, do great work.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:10 AM
Master Fabricator

+1
Old 02-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Junior Fabricator

+2.... and wish i had that shop area for a work space!!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks guys! Yea the shop space is pretty awesome. Definitely an upgrade from my 2 car garage I was working out of for a while. Best part is all the new trucks that come in to the shop that I never would of had the chance to build things for at home. And working on the owners Ultra 4 buggy is a pretty awesome perk.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 AM
Junior Fabricator

you do some pretty amazing work! would you be intersted in making a tube bumper for a 2000 explorer? i can send you some pics? if interested email me at bdersch@live.com

thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Junior Fabricator

That is one awesome bumper!
Excellent fab work!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Junior Fabricator

Been a minute since this thread was active, but this may fall on an ear opposite the wire.

Was that CNC cut/ laser? I'm a huge advocate of only going by hand, but pics like these are quite convincing.

Last edited by 4WheelFabrication; 03-06-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Junior Fabricator

what size and brand joint is that?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Master Fabricator

No it was all handcut, measured and layed out. Started with a chair, cardboard and scissors. I cut it out with my Hypertherm 45 and cleaned up all the edges with a flap wheel. Thanks for the comments! My hand still isn't quite as steady as a CNC!

Ah I can't remember exactly, but I think that hinge package came from Wide Open Fab or Sniper Fab really can't recall though. You can find them on a ton of fab websites and they come in tire carrier hinge packages.

Dersch: Im sorry I didn't get back to you, I would be willing to make one for you it will be a little while however, I am in between places right now and have no where to fab except inside my head for the moment.

Thanks again for all the kind words!
Old 07-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Master Fabricator

http://www.atozfabrication.com/store...roductid=16138

This is the exact one ^^

Edit:

If you are referring to the one link joint it is a EMF Frankenheim "small" joint.
It is HUGE!

http://www.emfrodends.com/product-p/efs.htm

Last edited by IRIDEKTM; 07-26-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:20 PM
Master Fabricator

Here's the latest on the my truck

Old 07-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Fabricator

IRIDEKTM, ..... I would like to say that you've dona a great job building those bumpers and I'm sure that the owner is proud of how his truck now looks, You did an excellent job of fabricating. The tire carrier also looks great and does add to the truck.

Before I go any further, I want to say that I'm also a fabricator and have built many bumpers, trailers and other items for friends and people that wanted something different than the stock look. I am not, in any way, trying to degrade your work. I just want to point out that the tire carrier may have a flaw that could cause a BIG problem, in the future. I say this because it happened on my sons Jeep Wrangler.

He's also a welder and he made a rear bumper out of 2"x4" rectangle tubing with 1/4" wall thickness, so it was pretty stout for a bumper. The carrier was made out of 1-1/4" square tube, so it was built pretty stout also, that looked almost like the one you built except that when the tire was locked down the tire was centered instead of off to one side like yours. The lockdown was a spring loaded pin, so all you had to do was push the carrier and it would swing around and lock itself. Both the main hinge and the lockdown pin were located on the bumper, just as yours are. The tire and carrier sat above the hinge and lockdown. His spare tire was one of those 10" or 12" wide by 34" or 36" tall swamppers, so it was a pretty big tire. From the looks of the one pictured in your pictures, I'd have to say that tire looks to be about the same as the ones my son runs. When he made the main hinge pin he had it machined out of some cold rolled round stock and the pin was 1" in dia. and he also put a bushing in the carrier to act as a bearing on the pin. Looking at your pictures, it looks like you used a bolt for the hinge pin, but I can't tell what size it is.

It worked great for about a year and then one day he called me and told me that the spare tire and carrier had broke off from the bumper while he was going down the road. Thank goodness there wasn't anybody behind him when this happened. I looked at the hinge pin and it had broke right at the lower part of the hinge, right where it connected to the bumper.

After talking to one of the engineers at work I found out what the problem was. You have the carrier and tire mounted above the hinge, so the hinge and lock down act as pivot points for any stress that is generated when the tire and carrier shake from movement while driving down the road. Even though the tire is mounted in a vertical position there is still going to be movement, due to different road conditions with all that weight being supported by only one hinge. If you figure in the leverage factor, the higher up you raise the tire on the carrier the more stress will be generated on that pivot point. The only way to solve this stress factor is to add another hinge at the top, or just above the top of the carrier. This way the carrier and tire are evenly supported, both top and bottom, and then all backward and froward movement is eliminated and there's really no stress on the lower hinge, except for the weight of the of the tire and carrier pushing down on the lower hinge. Example: take a piece of pipe say 1/2" or 3/4" diameter and put one end in a vise. Then starting at the vise, grab the pipe and try to bend it. As you move up higher and higher above the the vise it starts to get easier to bend the pipe. At some point above the vise you'll be able to bend the pipe with just one hand. Almost all the stress of bending the pipe is generated at the point where the pipe is clamped in the vise. If you add another secured clamp anywhere above the point, at which you are trying to bend the pipe, you would not be able to bend the pipe. This is exactly the same stresses that, just the weight of that tire, are being applied to that single lower hinge on the bumper. I know that this isn't something that you might want to do, because it would require bolting a plate to the upper part of the fender and adding another hinge. Even the car companys, when they were building the full size 4x4's such as the Ford Bronco and the Dodge Ramchargers with rear mounted swing away tire carriers, they all had hinges mounted at the top and bottom of the carriers. YES I know, none of the factory built stuff was the best or strongest, but that was the reasoning for the 2 hinges.

I know you probably didn't want to hear this, but I thought I'd pass this along. We fixed the problem by adding a upper hinge bolted to the fender and it hasn't given him any problems since. That was 6 years ago and he does quite a bit of 4 wheeling and off road driving.

I do hope I've explained correctly, this potential problem, that could arise. Again I will say, I'm not trying to take anything away from your work, I'm just saying that this is what I've seen happen, with my son and he first built his carrier with only a lower hinge that connected to the bumper.

Welders, best arc makers since Noah.

A government large enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take everything you have.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Fabricator

I just looked at the web site that you posted about the carrier kit and my son built his setup just about exactly like that kit is made, but instead of bearings he used a bushing.

Where the lower bearing seats on the shaft, when the shaft is standing vertical, is where his broke off. That point is where all the stress, of the weight of the tire and carrier, is being generated.

I do want to say that in my previous reply I stated that it looked there was a bolt instead of a shaft used to secure the carrier to the bumper. I hadn't looked at that web site, before I stated that.

I'm sure that the company that sells this kit has engineered all factors in, before putting this product on the market.

I'm just explaining a flaw that we encountered with pretty much the same setup that my son had built for his jeep and how the engineer explained the stress point to me.

A government large enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take everything you have.

Last edited by Diverbill45; 07-27-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Master Fabricator

No offense taken at all! I appreciate the insight and that information and experience will help others out and hopefully help avoid a dangerous situation.

The swing out is on a shaft that the bearings ride on. The shaft goes through the top of the bumper and is welded on top and inside. It's also welded about 4" down the inside plate of the bumper and a gusset on the top that braces it in the opened position. When it's closed some of the stress is taken off by the screw in latch and it seemed very very secure and stable through a few tests. Hopefully she holds up for a lifetime!

Thanks for the input hopefully that information will help others as well!
Old 07-31-2013, 01:27 AM
Fabricator

IRIDEKTM, ..... Read your reeply and the difference between your setup and my sons is that the latching point is located lots closer to the hinge than the one my son built. His spring loaded latch is completly over on the left side of his bumper and the hinge is located on the far right side of the bumper. His hinge pin also runs all the way through his bumper and is welded on the top and bottom of the bumper, like yours.

With your screw in latch being located so close to the hinge, ...... that would definitly take quite a bit of stress off of the hinge pin.

I will pass the word on to him.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Fabricator

Wow...

Thats a Kick Ass bumper. This Tundra looks awesome :)

Very nice job man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIDEKTM View Post
Its been a while since I posted on here so figured I'd throw up a couple pictures up of some bumpers I have been making on the side amongst other things.

Enough said, here's some pictures.

99-02 with 3" body lift

After some time with the plasma and flap wheel

03-07 Silverado

2012 Tundra front. Making the rear next week

I really enjoy fabricating and a lot of what I have learned has come from this forum. There's a wealth of knowledge and tips on OFN that has been extremely helpful in developing my fabrication skills. Thanks to all those who have helped!
Old 02-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Fabricator

Nice Bumpers
Old 02-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Junior Fabricator

Very nice! May I ask you sir or anybody here. Did you push or pull those super great welds!!!