Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 05-30-2017, 01:45 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I also want to share a major fail from the day. Just after I pulled in, a bright orange '07 Lamborghini Gallardo pulled up behind me. I've always been a major fan of Lamborghinis. I even toured the factory in Italy a number of years ago. So before we moved to the grid, I snapped a few photos, including this one of my rear wheel with the front of the Lamborghini in the background. At the time I took the photo I thought it was just a cool juxtaposition of muscle vs. exotic, but it sort of foreshadowed what was to come.

As the Lamborghini was about half way through it's second or third run, heading toward the grid of cars waiting for their next run, the front driver wheel suffered catastrophic failure. The 5 spokes broke off at the center and the car slammed to the ground on it's rotor. As it skidded to a stop, the wheel and tire rolled off at speed, flying toward the grid of waiting cars. By stroke of luck, it veered around, rolling full speed past the crowd of onlookers and eventually slamming into an aircraft hanger a few hundred yards from where it launched.

Thankfully no one was hurt. It could have been so much worse if this happened on a canyon road or highway or if that tire had decided to follow just a slightly different path into people or other cars.

I took a look at the failed wheel and while "Lamborghini" was cast into the back side, I can only guess this was a China knock off. You can buy these black chrome wheels on eBay for around $1k each. Buyer beware!!!

Last edited by TheBandit; 05-30-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:12 PM
Designer & Builder

You are at where I call the 90% build phase zone. Everything is fully functional, you proved it out this last weekend. Now you spend the rest of your life making changes in the 10% area, there will always be something else. You can never get to 100% done unless you sell it. That's not gonna happen. Going from the classis straight line stance and to a more balanced suspension package will be a whole new build. The current stance reminds me of all the kids in the mid-80's with Nova's cruising the streets. I was rolling in a 1970 Challenger, setup the same way, fats in the back and skinnies in the front.
Carry on.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:06 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Rory, you've pretty well hit the nail on the head, both in terms of project stage and the stance of the car. I am gearing up for some changes that will re-situate it, but it's going to be a few weeks before I have anything to show.