Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 10-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Junior Fabricator

i have not found a good drill bit in a long time i like to use the titanium bits with good cutting oil but it goes dull almost in a snap

what are you using ??? maybe a name brand
Old 10-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Fabricator

I only use colbalt bits. they are a bit more money but I have never had one dull on me and I have only broke 2 ever and I use them a lot. the maker doesn't seam to matter from what I have noticed.

Scott
Old 10-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Master Fabricator

14 bolt cover

I've got a hodge podge of all sorts of various quality that I've collected over the years. No bit exists that won't dull or break, it's just a matter of how fast it's gonna happen. I always just sharpened by hand and did fine for the most part, though sometimes they gave me fits. Then I found a Drill Doctor 750 on sale for $99 at Sears last year in the "After Christmas" sale. Figured, what the heck. Well, to get to the point, I love that thing. Sharpens faster and more consistently than I EVER could have managed, AND it does split points on the bigger stuff. It's so easy and fast, I actually sat down one evening and in something like 45 minutes, resharpened every single bit I had, including some broken bits. 10 out of 10 for that purchase...
Old 10-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Master Fabricator

I'll second what Baddog said. Awesome purchase. One problem I have had however, is I dropped the smaller chuck and that misaligned something and I have not been able to sharpen bits 1/8" and under. Other than that, I am very pleased!!