Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 06-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Master Fabricator

31 Chevy 4 door Sedan...Yeah, So?

Well I was approached the other day with an offer to buy a really straight 1931 Chevy Body. I wasn't really in the market at this time but I had a vision of turning one into a Sedan Delivery sometime back. Thought this would make a great start for the project. I will probably do the body mods and sell it to some one who has the time to finish it.

Plans are to loose the back doors and C pillar. fill in the side windows with a sheet of 18 Ga. sheet metal. Cut in a big Ambulance type rear door. A tasteful chop, firewall, and floor.

Would like it to end up something like this only fender-less and slammed.

Last edited by METAL TWISTER; 06-09-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Master Fabricator

I've got a 31 Chevy 2 door sedan that will one day turn into a hot rod. I occasionally tinker with bits of it, fixing rust in the doors fixing trim, etc... I have just not started on the big stuff or the fun stuff. I look forward to seeing what you do with the body that you have.

Are you going to go back with a wood body structure or build a new structure out of steel?

Jaysin
Old 06-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Seems like a shame to lose the side doors. I think they're awesome with the barnyard door opening (rear suicides). What about leaving the rear doors but paneling them in?

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysinSpaceman View Post
I've got a 31 Chevy 2 door sedan that will one day turn into a hot rod. I occasionally tinker with bits of it, fixing rust in the doors fixing trim, etc... I have just not started on the big stuff or the fun stuff. I look forward to seeing what you do with the body that you have.

Are you going to go back with a wood body structure or build a new structure out of steel?

Jaysin
All steel will be installed. Ive done several Model A Sedans with the steel and it just makes more since than the wood.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Seems like a shame to lose the side doors. I think they're awesome with the barnyard door opening (rear suicides). What about leaving the rear doors but paneling them in?
Actually if I get the body where I like it I will use it for a parts chaser for the shop. Big door in the back will come in handy and no need to haul folks around so panel it is. The world still has plenty of 4 doors... not enough Sedan Delivery's though. I have a 30 Ford coupe and folks would rather jump in the rumble seat anyway if I want to drag friends along. Usually ends up ladies in back.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:55 AM
Master Fabricator

Had a guy on the HAMB forum do some Photoshop mods for me. Thinking I'm On the right track here?

Hey Jaysin, Is your Chevy easy to get to? I need a measurement across the body about mid way back. The wood floor is totally gone and the side can flex about 3 to 4 inches and the doors still look to fit pretty close. Before I make a floor for it I need to get the right width or at least close. Bet the Tudor is the same width. Maybe across the floor from the rear of the front door to door? Or where ever its easy for you? I've tried to get measurements from a few different places with out luck so far.

Last edited by METAL TWISTER; 06-09-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Master Fabricator

MT,

I will get a measurement for you at the back of the doors and maybe across right at the front of the wheel wells but it will take a day or two because it is still sitting at my folk's place (the cold storage area) and I wont be down there right away.

Jaysin
Old 06-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Master Fabricator

Appreciated Jaysin NO hurry at all whenever its easy for you. I will quit asking around then. I was thinking that it might be eaiser just taking a measurement across the body at the back of your door windows. I can guess how long the two doors are and make it match that width. If the floor is accessible that would be better though. Beggars cant be choosers. thanks

Last edited by METAL TWISTER; 06-11-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Master Fabricator

So I was able to get some measurements for you this weekend. At the bottom of the B pillar (rear of door opening) at floor level the width at the step for the door lap of the body (recessed about a 1/4-3/8" from the body outer skin) is 46 3/4". The door opening length on the 2 door body is 34 1/4". From the fire wall to the front of the door opening is 16 1/2" and the width at this point seems to be 39" from post to post on the inside measurement.

I would have liked to take a few pictures for you but as it was I came down with a bad head cold this weekend and didn't have the energy to get you more. If you would like I will get some pictures with tape measure scales in the next while.

I hope this helps. Sorry they're not more accurate measurements.

Jaysin
Old 06-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
So I was able to get some measurements for you this weekend. At the bottom of the B pillar (rear of door opening) at floor level the width at the step for the door lap of the body (recessed about a 1/4-3/8" from the body outer skin) is 46 3/4". The door opening length on the 2 door body is 34 1/4". From the fire wall to the front of the door opening is 16 1/2" and the width at this point seems to be 39" from post to post on the inside measurement.

I would have liked to take a few pictures for you but as it was I came down with a bad head cold this weekend and didn't have the energy to get you more. If you would like I will get some pictures with tape measure scales in the next while.

I hope this helps. Sorry they're not more accurate measurements.

Jaysin
No more needed... Think this will get me in the ball park close enough. Thanks again Jayson and take care of that cold. I really appreciate the time and effort on this!
Bob
Old 06-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Master Fabricator

I'm glad that'll do it for you. But if you do need or want more measurements feel free to ask.

Jaysin
Old 06-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
I'm glad that'll do it for you. But if you do need or want more measurements feel free to ask.

Jaysin
Thanks again!