Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 09-11-2011, 02:12 AM
Fabricator

Campbell's Postal Jeep

Well Blind Studio's Jeep was so cool that I had to get my own

So heres the Jeep:

The plans are about the same as Blind Studios, lowered, chopped, V8, make a rat rod look out of it. I don't plan to have a roll cage though and I'll be going a little bit of a different route on how to get the jeep lowered.

I planned on using a small block chevy for the V8 swap with a 700r4. How it turns out is that if I was to swap in the sbc I would have height clearance issues between the axle or the hood.

I wanted to keep the wheel base the same so to make all my clearances happy I decided to build a drop axle to accommodate the V8 while still having enough room for suspension travel. The drop axle has about 5" of drop to it. I will also be using leaf springs I could have gone a different way but that would call for more money.

For making the drop axle I cut off the original spindles and machined out the existing axle to fit onto the new drop axle. The drop axle was made with 2.5 x .250 tubing and miter cut it out to give the 5" drop.

The neat thing about machining the spindles on was that I didn't have to worry much about a camber change and that I could change the caster. I built in 4 degrees of caster then welded everything in place. Then came building the perches.

This is about as far as I've gotten so far. After the axle is done I will be step notching the frame for the suspension travel on the front and the rear. Lowering the rear shouldn't be as "messy" as the front.

What do you guys think so far? More to come! - Chris
Old 09-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Master Fabricator

Good start though I would have had the axle tube bent, just my preference.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Master Fabricator

SWEET.

Off to a good start, Campbell.

The front axle looks good, can't wait to see it in place.

-Jeff
Old 09-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Fabricator

Thanks for the comments guys. E I would have liked to have seen it bent too but I didn't have anyway of doing it so I went with cutting it. More work should be done tomorrow. If you guys have any ideas, thoughts, etc. feel free to dish them out, this is my first major project and tips from the veterans would be helpful.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Fabricator

Hey guys got more work done on the postal jeep

I got the drop axle welded up

Then moved on to the rear axle to weld up new perches

Threw the axle back in and checked out ride height and any clearance issues

Turns out I had 1.5" of clearance on the rear and 2" on the front. With that much instead of making a step notch I went with just c-notching the frame. I'm figuring everyday driver leaf springed cars have about 3.5" of suspension travel so the C-notch will be fine. If not then I will make some adjustments with the leaf springs.

I went with a 4" C-notch since the rear axle was 2.75". Before I cut everything I boxed in the frame and will most likely add braces just for extra support.

Hopefully tomorrow I will get everything welded up and then start C-notching the front and make some modifications to the steering knuckle due to the new ride height. What do you guys think?

- Chris
Old 09-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Master Fabricator

Any idea on the ground clearance to the bottom of the front U-bolt plates to the ground??

What do you have in mind as far as wheels and tires??

Looking good

Keep up the good work.

-Jeff
Old 09-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Any plans to stretch the wheelbase? Great work so far!

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Fabricator

Thanks for the comments

Blind - I'll have to get back with you on the clearances once I get everything fitting up again. I'm not sure what I will do with wheels and tires. For now I plan to keep the stock steelies on there and maybe throw baby moon hubcaps on them. Later on I want to narrow the rear axle and fit some wider wheels

Bandit- I'm keeping the wheelbase the same

Today I got the left side C-notch cut and welded up. I took quite awhile to get everything perfect with it be a 45 degree C-notch. I also got the rear c-notches completed, braced, and threw the rear axle back in. Its starting to look like a vehicle again! I will post some pictures up in a little bit

I'm hoping to have everything done by next Wednesday, Wish me luck

- Chris
Old 09-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Fabricator

Heres some pictures

Fitting up the rear C-notch plate

Welding

And then braced

Heres my front c-notch that is 1" up on the inside part of the frame and 3" on the outside part of the frame giving it it's 45 degree c-notch. I made a template, cut out the metal, and still had to break out the oxy/ace for heat and do a little blacksmithing. But I was finally able to get it in nicely and weld it in.

Hopefully I'll have more updates later on during the week!

- Chris
Old 09-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell45 View Post
Well Blind Studio's Jeep was so cool that I had to get my own
Damn straight, I amazed we haven't caused the hot rod community to start hoarding PJ's. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell45 View Post

Heres my front c-notch that is 1" up on the inside part of the frame and 3" on the outside part of the frame giving it it's 45 degree c-notch. I made a template, cut out the metal, and still had to break out the oxy/ace for heat and do a little blacksmithing. But I was finally able to get it in nicely and weld it in.

Hopefully I'll have more updates later on during the week!

- Chris
I was wondering if you were going to have enough width to clear the frame rails.

What are you thinking as far as steering??

With that much height difference it could be interesting.....

Mini hi-jack......

I see your's has the short rear fender wells. I've been trying to figure out why the variation in the heights. In my PJ the rear fender wells are within about 4-5" of the bottom of the rear windows, and in your's they appear to be much lower. I thought the difference was between AMC and AM General built PJ's, as all of the PJ's I've seen with the AM General rear door have the shorter rear fender wells. But I see that your's has the short wells and the Jeep rear door.

Anyone up on AMC/AM General history????

Anyways, looks like your moving right along.

Keep up the good work.

-Jeff
Old 09-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Fabricator

Blind - My front axle is 2.5" wide and the C-notch it 4" wide so I'm thinking I will have enough space for suspension travel. I need new springs as well so I'm thinking new ones will raise the PJ a little bit so I will have even more clearance. I dont know much history on Postal Jeeps but I do know that mine is a 77' AM General DJ5. The tires do get pretty close to the fender wells I may have to make some adjustments if I hear any odd noises going of bumps

With my steering I plan to cut off the steering bracket on the knuckle and welding it back on lower. I will eventually need to worry about shock mounts as well.

More later

- Chris
Old 10-08-2011, 12:56 AM
Fabricator

Hey guys sorry for the late update alot of stuff going on

Anyway where I left off I was about to start on the steering. Its hard for me to explain but basically I hacked off part of the steering knuckle and welded it back on lower for clearance. Heres some pictures of the steering

Those last two pictures are just mock ups to see how much clearance I have from the tire

Then welded in with a brace

After all that I cut down my tie rod and rethreaded the tie rod end. Put it all back together and sat it on the ground...only to see that my camber was way postive! luckily though with a little bit of heat cycles with a torch and the camber was fixed. And now for the end result pictures!

It drives pretty well! I need to find some shorter shocks and raise the fender wells a little for suspension travel but all in all I'm very happy with it and it gets a lot of attention already

So what do you guys think!? Up next is to chop the top, sheet metal repair, paint, and engine swap. Cant wait to show this baby off

Blind - I now wish I had a roll cage haha maybe someday down the road
Old 10-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Master Fabricator

I LIKE IT!!

I was thinking at first that it didn't look all that low, but then I started looking at the fender clearances and the sill height.

It's down there.

Until you said, "Up next is to chop the top" I was thinking that it had already been done.

How much are you planning on chopping??

Let me know if I can answer any questions. I chopped not only the body on mine, but the rear door and sliding doors as well.

On mine, I simple cut out the desired amount (5") of the top lowered it back down, cut it vertically over the door openings, and brought the front section forward to match the A pillars and then filled in the opening with sheet metal chopped from the rear corners.

Makes for pretty short windows. Not a problem in the back, but interesting for the front windshield. The solution suggested to me after the fact was to cut out about an inch outside of the windshield opening (so as to get to flat sheet metal), removing it at it's stock size, chop the top, and then re-cut the opening for the windshield to allow the cut out piece to fit back in.

This gives you the chop without the need to find/buy/make a custom windshield.

I must say I'm a little jealous that you can drive your's already....

Keep up the good work.

-Jeff
Old 10-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Master Fabricator

Just like any other project....is this thing ever going to be done?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Fabricator

Hey guys I'm back at it!

This time chopping the top

Heres some prelim pics of the jeep gutted and seeing how bad rust really is

After looking through it all it looked like the rockers and structural support to the floors were good but the floor is...well bondo and patches. So with some bracing the cut process begins! First taping up the cut lines...

With the slanted windshield once the chop is made I will need to lengthen the roof a bit. No problemo though. Now lets cut!

After the cuts were made and with the roof off next up is putting sleeves back into the body with some plug welds. Once the top goes back on itll be buttwelded and looking goooood. Also forgot to mention critical info...the chop is 4"

Well thats all I've got for now more posts later. Enjoy!
Old 12-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Master Fabricator

Looks good Campbell!!

I like the idea of the sleeves inside the pillars. I definitely should have done that on mine.

(but seeing as my cage is tied across the cuts now...... )

Glad to see your PJ back for some more mods.

Have you been driving it much???

And what's up with the turbo on the rear wheel well, in the second to last pic??

Looking forward to seeing the top back on.

-Jeff
Old 12-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Fabricator

Okay guys heres an update!

I got the top back on after tacking the sleeves in. I cut the rest of the roof and split it off for now. After getting the back half of the roof on I put the front on and tacked it all up. Its on jack stands right now and I'm about a head taller and I'm 5'8 haha. Getting pretty excited. Once its all welded though that when we will really see what it looks like. Heres some pics!

Thanks for the comments blind, the turbo is just sitting there for now. I'm still not sure if I wanna use it. but its nothing special just an old turbo from an eclipse

more later!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Fabricator

Hey guys here is another update.

Did a lot of tedious work today. tacked in the strip for the roof which took forever but had to make sure everything flowed right and dimensions were in check. Also put the jeep on the ground to see how it really looks. Will be welding it all up and then work on the doors. Enjoy

Old 03-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Master Fabricator

Looking good , Im hoping to do something like this one day.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Junior Fabricator

I got to say that your doing such a great job. I just bought a '71 DJ and found this thread in a search. Keep showing us what your doing, your showing the rest of us how to chop one the right way. I like the referance tape you used in the windows. Please post the door chop also. I want to chop mine about 2" ( I'm taller) and put a Mustang II front end and a 4 bar set up under it.