Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 05-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Master Fabricator

VW Double Cab ~ Porsche IRS

I swapped out the stock trailing arm setup in a '67 VW Double Cab Bus, for a torsion tube and IRS control arm setup out of a 90's Porsche 944. He will also be using the 944 transaxle, and putting a 3.2L Porsche 6 cylinder true mid engine, under the rear passengers bench seat.

First shot is the stock torsion tube that needs to be removed. Second shot is the Porsche 944 torsion tube. Third shot is the stock tube removed. I cut as closely to the tube as possible, but not much was left.

Next the Porsche Torsion tube is hung inside some new filler plates that wrap all the way around the tube.

Some shots of the arms on and the tube fully welded.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Master Fabricator

as usual, awesome work, I always look forward to your posts you and scootek and tehstainless are truly craftsmen :) keep up the great work I am certain your business will bloom, even in this economy
Old 05-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Master Fabricator

Very cool, man. As posted above, I LOVE reading your posts, and am amazed with your capabilities... keep it up
Old 05-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Master Fabricator

Cool project! Now a-arm the front of that baby.

Zancat
Old 05-29-2009, 01:20 AM
Master Fabricator

^ I wish. The project is semi budget minded, and he is doing most of it himself, aside from the more moderate to heavy fab like this. If I understand correctly, he has updated spindles on it already, with balljoints instead of kingpins, and it's running older Porsche brakes up front. But it sounds like he has some new spindles that run newer matching Porsche brakes from the same car.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Junior Fabricator

Do you have a link to a build up? I have always wanted a split windshield DC, maybe when I finish the oval rag I bought in 1992.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Master Fabricator

I know he is a member on the Samba, but I am unsure if there is a build thread. He's owned it for 6-7 years, and it was mostly a daily driver up until a few months ago.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:15 AM
Master Fabricator

Pictures of it outside. The rear wheels are on the front, because the Porsche axle is a bit wider than stock, and they didn't clear. He said he can get some more rear wheels with another +10mm offset to suck them in enough to clear.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Master Fabricator

very nice work

i wish we could get the D-cabs in the states love that thing
Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Master Fabricator

I wonder what something like that would drive like. I always felt disconnected from the road the few times I drove a standard kombi.
There's a mob in Canada do a Subaru 3litre turbo six conversion too. That would be an interesting comparison.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDirt View Post
very nice work

i wish we could get the D-cabs in the states love that thing
I am in California, not Canada, in case that's what you thought. So this is in the states.

A while ago Stephen brought in some blue prints to build a subframe that will replace some of the stock frame under the truck and make room for the engine to mount in the center of the vehicle. I built it to his specs and he brought it back home for a while. It's 2x6 and 2x4 .120 wall.

Last week he brought me two bell housings. One was the 911 transaxle bell housing, the other the 944 torque tube bell housing. He had them machined to fit together. I welded in a piece of 1/2" 6061 angle, that was then milled again before the 944 end was indexed and welded into place carefully. He took this all back home and mocked it up. He brought some blue prints back today to have the motor mounts built on the sub frame.

After the motor mounts, he wants to bring the Double Cab back to have the rockers replaced, and then the subframe installed so the motor can go in. It will probably come back some time after that to get a new torque tube built, then he will work on getting it running and driving again.

There is also a chance it will get a cage. O: He asked me to order a stick of 1.75" .120 DOM so that a single hoop could be added at the time that the floor gets cut to make room for the motor. But he called back and asked to go for 1.5" as that is all that his race class would specify, and he says 1.75" may look too big.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:48 AM
Master Fabricator

Here is the start of the front motor mounts. More tomorrow.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Master Fabricator

Motor mounts are finished up. He is going to drill the holes on the rear mounts once the front is bolted up. He gave me pictures of the motor mocked up at his shop, but they are on the shop computer. I need to bring my USB drive so I can bring them home and show you guys what it looks like in the sub frame. It's really cool.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:28 AM
Junior Fabricator

killer work seth.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:07 AM
Master Fabricator

These are Stephen's mock up pictures of the motor in the sub frame, before I built the motor mounts.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:25 AM
Master Fabricator

That's gonna be a bad ride!!!

I love double cabs, I just wish they weren't so expensive.

Killer work Seth.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:11 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks.

Here are some new pictures.

I modified an RCI fuel cell to fit low and offset to the PS and over the new torque-tube tunnel (need to take pics of that, forgot). Would have been easier to start new, he had me add internal baffles while I had it apart, and add a side fill to line up with the stock filler location.

Here is some shots of the cage. It's finished for now, until he comes back for what he calls three.point.oh or the third visit. Then it will get the front half. The top bar in this first picture looks crooked (it is in comparison to the rail below it, depends on what's important) but the B pillar hoop is 3/4" taller than the C pillar because the roof is higher in the center. And that bar intersects with the welded joint to add some support to it.

This was a bitch.

I took pictures of every weld, and those are the only shots that aren't blurry. I'm looking into a nicer camera.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice work, man! I really like the Idea of a mid-engine double cab, maybe it will handle a wee bit better then the top heavy beast that it was.

Nice work,
Jaysin
Old 12-31-2009, 01:15 PM
Master Fabricator

It should be fun. The Porsche motor puts out like 3 times what the stock motor did too. Eventually he wants to do an A-arm conversion for the front too.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Junior Fabricator

It's hard to tell from the pictures but is there still going to be room for a rear seat in the setup? Work looks great as always and from the way it's going it looks like your friend will end up with a real drivable DC instead of a slug.