Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 05-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Fabricator

Corvette Drive line into Austin 10 with Aussie 8

Being an Aussie I rarely get to see a new vet to sort out there drive lines. I'm tinkering with a 1945 Austin Ten, fitting an Aussie V8 to it, with a 460le and orginally a 9" on a four link.

But space in the foot well is very limited, so have been thinking of bolting a corvette C6 differential to the 460le and sit it in the rear with IRS, I hear thats as simple as removing the out put housing and slipping on the Diff. Now, I have questions, does the torque covnerter stay bolted to the flex plate of the engine, or does is run a drive shaft down to the torque converter ?

Any info on setting this up would be great.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Master Fabricator

I can help you with this a little bit, having worked on a few Corvettes and rear transaxle builds.

The Corvette keeps the clutch or TQ up front on the engine, and uses a driveline/torque tube to transfer power to the transaxle.

The only issue I see with mounting the Corvette transaxle right to the rear of the engine, is that they put their differential at the rear of the bell housing, so it makes for an awkwardly long setup for a rear engine type of car. I think the distance from the bell housing to the axle centerline would be somewhere around 30".

A possibly better option would be adapting a Porsche 944 or Audi V8 (same transaxle) to the engine. There are a few companies that make an adapter plate, and it puts your axle center line 8" behind the back of the engine/bell housing mating surface. They can be built to hold some power, at least the manual versions. I don't know much about the automatics.

Then there is always a Mendeola.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Fabricator

I still wish to keep the engine up the nose like a regular Rod.

This is the same as what its being fitted to, but using a GM Holden V8. With the little Austin there is bugger all room in the foot well for a decent trany, so was toying with this idea to improve that and balance of the vechile. Still in the planning stages on the rear end, but the look, front end and mid sections have had there planning sorted. Interior will come about once I have a good feel for the groove of the car.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

This is what the C6 Corvette drivetrain looks like:

The engine is up front and the entire transmission & diff are in the rear. On the manual, i think the clutch is up front. On the auto, I think the stall converter is out back like this:

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Master Fabricator

I just want a Vette drivetrain like that sitting in my driveway. I'll find something to put the whole thing into. Something light weight and unsuspecting and then go harass everyone on the road (and likely get thrown in jail which is why I can't have a Vette drivetrain sitting in my driveway).

HAHA,
Jaysin

P.S. Tappet Head, I am sure that it can be done to stick the Vette stuff in that little Austin 10 but I would guess that there will be a enormous amount of fab to either narrow the Vette stuff or widen the Austin body, I've only seen a few Austins but all were much shorter and narrower then a Vette.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Fabricator

Shortening is the biggest task, the Guards are getting flared a few inches to take the front end I'm fitting, the rear end will either end up with a four link setup, or an IRS like so. It will all depend on what comes about and whatI can get my hands on, plus what the endineer agrees to.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Master Fabricator

Shortening a torque tube is not as bad as you would think. Lengthening one however, that is a whole different ball game.