Go Back OFN Forums > Badland Buggy Group > Suspension

Suspension Badland Buggy Suspension

Suspension Badland Buggy Suspension

Old 07-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Master Fabricator

3 link vs. 4 link

As the title describes. I'm looking for pro's and con's of both. I have a very general knowledge of each but am looking at all options. Not to mention help me (and maybe some of you?) learn a little more about suspension. I know a full tube buggy is in my future so I'm getting the learning out of the way now so that when the time come's I can make a edjucated design and move from theory to practical aplication... w/ further hands on learning of course.

Paul G.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Master Fabricator

well - there's many many threads out there on this topic.

fwiw, a 3link has the upper hand in packaging options, overall flexibility, and performance. i like the visual symmetry of the four and the fact that it tracks true through it's cycle. but, seat of the pants and all considered, get in some rigs blind folded and run'em and you'll find other factors will/can supersede suspension design characteristics. some stuff looks like death but runs like butter - the whole approach has come along way, but i think theres some key factors that we still dont fully understand it.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Master Fabricator

Performance wise it boils down to the numbers (roll center height, anti-squat/dive, roll axis angle) not the number of links, some times the 4 is easyer to get certain numbers and for others the 3 link
Fitment wise the 3 link works well in the front for linkage steering as the pan hard swings the axle in a similar radius as the drag link (limiting bump steer) it is also easyier to fit around things as it normally only has one upper link that is mounted straight
It is easy to set the height of the roll center as it is based off the height of the panhard bar, but can be hard sometimes getting the link mounts out on the axle for strength and still getting good roll axis angle (understeer or oversteer)

the four link as it is known to 4wd'ers dosnt' have a panhard bar, relies on the triangulation of the links....this means it dosn't swing the axle out to the side under drop meaning less "rear steer" (when setup right lol) so lends itself to use in rear suspensions where space is available
Tends to be easyier to adjust the roll axis angle, but requires high link mounts on the axle to get a high roll center height and this with the converging links takes space

now for the disclaimer lol this is suspension talk so there will be alot of different opinions on this subject, just go look on pirate lol the above is just my impressions from playing over time

Cheers Reece
Old 07-12-2009, 03:33 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Ranged View Post

the four link as it is known to 4wd'ers dosnt' have a panhard bar, relies on the triangulation of the links....this means it dosn't swing the axle out to the side under drop meaning less "rear steer" (when setup right lol) so lends itself to use in rear suspensions where space is available
You mean a triangulated 4 link right? Because certain 4 links do have a panhard/trackbar. (TJ's and JK's come to mind)

I've read a lot of technical information on 3link and 4 link. I've got a pretty good theoretical hold on differences and a basic understanding of how they work. I have no practical experience with these systems other then comparing the ride of my lifted YJ to my lifted TJ. I've also read some of the threads on pirate but in all honesty.... I can't stand pirate... too many people with nothing better to do but flame other people, plagiarize, complain, and be all around d!cks. That's why I posted here in the first place. 5 minutes after reading through any build thread here you can see that there's a conversation going on with a little playful bantering every now and then but plenty more useful information... And no flaming other people's designs, concepts, or ideas. (sorry for the rant) Back on track...

Paul G.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:09 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbd85hilux View Post
You mean a triangulated 4 link right? Because certain 4 links do have a panhard/trackbar. (TJ's and JK's come to mind)
Paul G.
lol I was going to say something about that... depending on what books you read that is a "4 link with panhard" or "parrallel 4 link"
the reason I say to 4wd'ers is becouse of Triaged calculators not long after he made them people on the forums started refering to triangulated and dual triangulated 4 links as just 4 links and every thing else as 3 link becouse his 3 link calculator is the only one that can deal with a panhard bar lol

lol and yes I think most of us here have a similar veiw of pirate but that said there is alot of good information there if you have time to sift through it lol

Cheers Reece
Old 12-31-2011, 12:07 AM
Junior Fabricator

I'm no expert, but, I'm running a "3 link" on the front of my '88 XJ. Of all the guys I run with, I'm the only one running "3 link". I am also the only one NOT locked in the front. What I have found, is that with the extra articulation I gain, it keeps both tires on the ground longer, providing the traction I need to keep up with the rest of them. I haven't had to turn around or take a by-pass yet. 2 of the guys I run with are running long-arm "4 link" and had to go to lockers in the front just because they didn't get the travel I do, and were spinning out due to a tire lifting.
Just my experience.

I realize this is an old post, but, it never really went anywhere. Just thought I'd put my 2cents for the "newbies" (like me) who read this. lol

Last edited by Lil Warlock; 12-31-2011 at 12:15 AM.