Go Back OFN Forums > General Discussion > The Lounge

The Lounge Its 5:00 somewhere... This is the area where, after a hard days work, you sit back, relax, and unwind...

The Lounge Its 5:00 somewhere... This is the area where, after a hard days work, you sit back, relax, and unwind...

Old 01-09-2018, 02:08 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Smile My New Years Resolution: Drawing Cars

I like to attempt new things and learn skills, so this year's resolution is to learn how to draw/render cars in pencil. I wasn't really looking for new hobby but my wife has been going on a crafting binge lately and I wanted a way to spend time with her in her craft room while feeding my own interests. I got started by watching a few YouTube videos and I picked up some pencil sets for Christmas. I made my first honest attempt at a decent shaded sketch...nothing real fancy, just the basics of dark and light and trying to get a feel for how to use colored pencils.

I learned there are all kinds of tools and skills for doing this kind of thing, but they are considerably less expensive than the tools I usually buy plus they are available at the craft stores my wife always drags me to. So after that first sketch I picked up a few little things and got to work on my second sketch. I decided to tackle a friend's Nova because if I screwed it up at least it wasn't mine!

I learned a bunch doing that drawing. I glossed over a few things, but I'm happy with how most of it turned out so I decided I'm ready to try screwing up my own car. Here's where I'm at with it so far. I need to correct a few things (headlight mismatch needs some help lol) before I add interior, wheels, tires, etc but it's getting there.

My aspiration is to do photo-real pencil art. I also want to learn markers and do rendering and cartoon drawings, but for now I'm learning how to work the pencils and having a great time.

Anybody else learning something new for 2018?
Old 01-09-2018, 07:59 PM
Junior Fabricator

Nice work!
Finally something I can help with
Send me a PM, I was a car designer for a long time and I might be able to help you out
Old 01-09-2018, 08:08 PM
Designer & Builder

I used to dabble in charcoal when I was a teenager, really enjoyed it. Now its Solidworks and CorelDraw that I use as creative tools.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:41 AM
Master Fabricator

Your a quick learner! That looks great!

My favorites are these cartoon off road trucks By Rory Ward.

http://www.racersonly.com/Artwork-Gallery.html
Old 01-10-2018, 01:25 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice work, Clint!

I'm a big fan of Steve Stanford, Thom Taylor, and Jimmy Smith. Stanford and Jimmy Smith have Instagram pages with a lot of their work on them.

Rory's style is very similar to Dave "Big" Deal. Also very cool stuff!
Old 01-10-2018, 05:26 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Thanks for the kind comments and references. I like all the cartoon and stylized art too. I kinda started down this road after looking back on the "Cartoonz" series of art by George Trosley. I found he does commission work and one of the things he makes is magazine cover-like art. My close friend recently was a victim of the Sonoma fires. He lost his home and his vintage '66 Mustang fastback, a car he built in high school (just as I've had my Nova for as long). I contacted Mr. Trosley to commission something special to commemorate his car and our friendship (which started as a Ford vs Chevy debate in college). Ultimately I decided I should send my friend money instead, but it didn't stop me from making my own magazine cover "art" featuring a couple of very skewed car doodles colored in like a kids coloring book.

So I guess it is a white lie that the first sketch in this post is truly my first ever sketch, but it is the first time I've attempted to actually learn how to shade in color and make an honest concerted effort to learn how to draw. I did that magazine cover using my kids set of Crayola pencils and a few Sharpie markers in a fit of wanting something, ANYTHING to do to make my friend feel better, and accidentally stumbled on a new hobby.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:41 PM
Master Fabricator

That is great! Great idea and well done.

I recently had a garage fire and lost the engine and parts to my 86 t-type (and proto trak and 25 yrs worth of machinist tools!) that I've had for 20 yrs. I cant imagine what those folks are going through out there.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:39 PM
Master Fabricator

Great work. Looking forward to seeing more sketches from you