Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.


In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 01-13-2011, 04:08 PM
entropy's Avatar
entropy entropy is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 95-miles from the center of Oregon.
Posts: 8,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
I really don't have a good answer for that one. I have not gotten into gib adjustments on any of my machines, so I'm not 100% sure of the relationship between the locks and the gibs.

The only thing I can think of is that the lock bears on one point, and if there's slop in the ways, it may allow the table/saddle to rotate about that point.

The other thing that may be going on is slop in the nut/lead screw...but I would think the table lock would take care of that.
Gib adjustment will help but do not be surprised if you settle for a split; tight on the ends and lose in the center.
If this is slipping as described I would see if you can adjust the lead screw nut. Most are split allowing for taking out most of the slack...
__________________
When did empirical knowledge get replaced by a theoretical education?

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-23-2011, 06:42 PM
TheBandit's Avatar
TheBandit TheBandit is offline
Instagram @chevyhotrodder
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ventura County CA
Posts: 4,328
I tightened up the gibs a bit today and it made a big difference. The gib adjustment on this mill is a bit weird - there is just one screw on one end and nothing on the other end to keep it in place. I'm sure it will work its way loose again in the future, but for now it's pretty good. Thanks for the ideas.
__________________
Clint

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-05-2012, 03:58 PM
TheBandit's Avatar
TheBandit TheBandit is offline
Instagram @chevyhotrodder
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ventura County CA
Posts: 4,328
This thing is collecting dust lately. I've been thinking about selling it to pay for engine related expenses, but what a shame it would be to lose that capability. I just honestly haven't had any time to play with it and I have about a million projects in que that don't need a mill.

What do you think this machine is worth?
__________________
Clint

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-05-2012, 05:35 PM
ZTFab's Avatar
ZTFab ZTFab is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 452
PM sent.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-05-2012, 05:43 PM
bullnerd's Avatar
bullnerd bullnerd is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jersey
Posts: 728
Cover it up and keep it.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-24-2012, 05:56 PM
CarterKraft's Avatar
CarterKraft CarterKraft is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 876
I think a lathe is far more handy if you can only have one. Sure you can do the same jobs with either machine but the setup time is killer.
I say dump the mill, finish the ride and buy a small lathe down the road.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-24-2012, 06:57 PM
entropy's Avatar
entropy entropy is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 95-miles from the center of Oregon.
Posts: 8,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
I think a lathe is far more handy if you can only have one. Sure you can do the same jobs with either machine but the setup time is killer.
I say dump the mill, finish the ride and buy a small lathe down the road.

After way to long in the buisness I completely disagree
__________________
When did empirical knowledge get replaced by a theoretical education?

Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-25-2012, 02:24 AM
Shox Dr's Avatar
Shox Dr Shox Dr is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Yorkshire, England
Posts: 149
In times such as this I rely on these words:

Tis better to have and not need, than to need and not have!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:20 AM
CarterKraft's Avatar
CarterKraft CarterKraft is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
After way to long in the buisness I completely disagree
while that may be true in the "business" but in the 2 car garage, wife and kid/s, this thing is never gonna get done world i say pick your battles.

i cant drive my mill or lathe to take the family for ice cream, but i could take the hot rod (if it ran).
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:52 AM
entropy's Avatar
entropy entropy is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 95-miles from the center of Oregon.
Posts: 8,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shox Dr View Post
In times such as this I rely on these words:

Tis better to have and not need, than to need and not have!
A sayer of sooth's and truth. All hail!
__________________
When did empirical knowledge get replaced by a theoretical education?

Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:54 AM
entropy's Avatar
entropy entropy is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 95-miles from the center of Oregon.
Posts: 8,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
while that may be true in the "business" but in the 2 car garage, wife and kid/s, this thing is never gonna get done world i say pick your battles.

i cant drive my mill or lathe to take the family for ice cream, but i could take the hot rod (if it ran).
My two car garage had 2 large table mills and all my fab junk and a full size Bronco and I still got things done.
__________________
When did empirical knowledge get replaced by a theoretical education?

Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-25-2012, 11:07 AM
TheBandit's Avatar
TheBandit TheBandit is offline
Instagram @chevyhotrodder
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ventura County CA
Posts: 4,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
in the 2 car garage, wife and kid/s, this thing is never gonna get done world i say pick your battles.

i cant drive my mill or lathe to take the family for ice cream, but i could take the hot rod (if it ran).
Nailed it! LOL.

This is pretty much the argument for selling it. I'm in an odd situation because I earn a good income, have plenty of savings and on paper could easily afford to build or buy a monster LSx for the Nova. But my wife, well, she lives in a different world. Everything in our home is second hand. Our kids clothes and toys she's gotten for free or very cheap. She cringes at the idea of paying for someone to do work we could do ourselves, even if they would yield better results. In her mind I've already spent thousands on this engine and any more is too much more. So the idea of selling the mill is really more as a token to her to say "hey, look, I'm sacrificing and pulling the money from elsewhere" so she doesn't feel like we're spending money, but merely trading one for the other.

I haven't brought the idea up with her and I don't think I will because I really want to keep it. It's just a card I may play if things get bad.

There's a word for my situations. Cashtration.
__________________
Clint

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 PM
entropy's Avatar
entropy entropy is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 95-miles from the center of Oregon.
Posts: 8,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Nailed it! LOL.

This is pretty much the argument for selling it. I'm in an odd situation because I earn a good income, have plenty of savings and on paper could easily afford to build or buy a monster LSx for the Nova. But my wife, well, she lives in a different world. Everything in our home is second hand. Our kids clothes and toys she's gotten for free or very cheap. She cringes at the idea of paying for someone to do work we could do ourselves, even if they would yield better results. In her mind I've already spent thousands on this engine and any more is too much more. So the idea of selling the mill is really more as a token to her to say "hey, look, I'm sacrificing and pulling the money from elsewhere" so she doesn't feel like we're spending money, but merely trading one for the other.

I haven't brought the idea up with her and I don't think I will because I really want to keep it. It's just a card I may play if things get bad.

There's a word for my situations. Cashtration.
The logic is fatally flawed!
You can not make a dime on your toy (Hot Rod to 4x4).
Even if you do not drive it, they cost you!
The mill, you can make a comfortable living with, you can easily make enough to pay for the fuel required to drive to the ice cream stand AND the Ice Cream!
Thus logically and financially the thing to get rid of is the toys!!!!

Mr. B I have been in your shoes and you can ask my wife, or children they will agree all my toys have made me money and paid for my rides and I consider my mills to be toys as much as my 4x4's, street machines, welders etc! I have been forced to sell, and I dumped the rides; and I would dump the nova long before I would dump a tool
__________________
When did empirical knowledge get replaced by a theoretical education?

Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-25-2012, 01:02 PM
TheBandit's Avatar
TheBandit TheBandit is offline
Instagram @chevyhotrodder
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ventura County CA
Posts: 4,328
In my life priorities, the mill goes way before the Nova. Both for sentimental and financial reasons. But neither of them need to go anywhere at the moment. I'm keeping both of them until the wife threatens divorce - once that happens, I may have an opportunity to upgrade lol.
__________________
Clint

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Shox Dr's Avatar
Shox Dr Shox Dr is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Yorkshire, England
Posts: 149
Keep the mill and trade the wife in.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-25-2012, 01:18 PM
entropy's Avatar
entropy entropy is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 95-miles from the center of Oregon.
Posts: 8,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
In my life priorities, the mill goes way before the Nova. Both for sentimental and financial reasons. But neither of them need to go anywhere at the moment. I'm keeping both of them until the wife threatens divorce - once that happens, I may have an opportunity to upgrade lol.

A ride is just a machine I attach not sentimental value to machines.
If a machine goes so be it, I make that choice based on ROI alone.
Machines can be easily replaced and 9 out of 10 times with better.
__________________
When did empirical knowledge get replaced by a theoretical education?

Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Graham08's Avatar
Graham08 Graham08 is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denver, NC
Posts: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
this some good banter...

I just turned 32 and I have realized I dont want to have to come home to more work to sorta pay for the shit I do want to do when I'm off work.

I would like to be fabbing, machining etc my shit not somebody elses.
I have somewhat realized the same thing. I have also realized that not everyone is my buddy, and I don't need to try to give them a deal. Working on other people's stuff is fun when it is something interesting, and I'm getting paid appropriately for my time or it is for a good friend. Otherwise it turns into a weight that drags me down.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-27-2012, 11:41 AM
entropy's Avatar
entropy entropy is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 95-miles from the center of Oregon.
Posts: 8,319
Just in case I missed it.
What do this have to do with a mill?
__________________
When did empirical knowledge get replaced by a theoretical education?

Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-27-2012, 01:59 PM
CarterKraft's Avatar
CarterKraft CarterKraft is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 876
fixed
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-27-2012, 02:20 PM
TheBandit's Avatar
TheBandit TheBandit is offline
Instagram @chevyhotrodder
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ventura County CA
Posts: 4,328
Did you delete your post?

I think this banter has everything to do with everything. Tools, toys, wives, kids, time, money... they're all intermixed in life! If this were a tech thread, that'd be one thing, but I am fine with getting off topic.
__________________
Clint

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Template-Modifications by TMS
Copyright 2012, Offroad Fabrication Network