Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Bought a mill at auction

Thanks to a lot of help from friends, I brought home a couple thousand pounds of machinery this Friday. The loot: a single phase 1-ton milling machine complete with a second horizontal spindle, power feed, and coolant pump. Also got a really nice Kurt vise, a wide assortment of endmills and cutters, clamping sets, an edge finder, some indicators, and a coax. This all came from a local machine shop that was closing down. I got the stuff at fire-sale pricing.

The machine is a Lunan brand, chinese import model with a 31.5inx9in table and 15.75inx9in travel. The dials are marked in 0.001in increments, but an indicator tells me the machine actually uses metric leads. The giveaway was a dial with a total 1.600in per revolution, which was close enough to 4mm for me to get suspicious. Since the leads are actually metric, I will have to be careful when traversing longer distances until I can get a digital readout.

Moving this thing was a monumental task. A friend loaned me a machine moving prybar and some skates and I spent most of Friday afternoon wedging, pulling, shoving, dragging, and sometimes tipping the thing on and off a lift-gate flatbed to get it from the shop to my home. We left a little dent in the facia board above the garage door, but nothing a little touchup paint won’t fix!

A little tip for anybody moving one of these, I would never again use a lift gate for this job. It's too jerky and off level for safely moving a machine like this. Next time I will rent a drop deck trailer instead. They lower flat to the ground and you can pull your load right onto them without any real lifting. Ideally you would have a forklift at both the shipping and receiving locations, but in this case I had nothing at either end - just manpower, leverage, wheels, and gravity!

I should also mention I have perhaps the most awesome wife imagineable. She already can't wait for me to show her how to use it!

Point of the thread - there is no point, I'm just excited and wanted to show off my new toy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7708.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	5154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7713.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	5155   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7717.JPG
Views:	480
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	5156  

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:47 AM

Great Score man...

http://rock4xfabrication.com
1-847-672-9653
1-847-544-1823
Old 07-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Master Fabricator

Congrats Bandit! Now you can do more of your great machine work at home. I will be looking forward to seeing what bits you (and your wife) come up with next.

Jaysin
Old 07-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Master Fabricator

X2, the mill & the wife!
Old 07-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Master Fabricator

nice find , looks like a decent machine , and nice deal on the vice one of my favorites i have several fixtures i mount off the KURT vice when doing jobs

easiest way to move a mill like that is with a small forklift , done it lots of times and it makes the job a breeze

Last edited by mikefrombc; 07-27-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Master Fabricator

Having moved several hundred of these things... Safety first!
A car trailer and a rented forklift to load and unload.
2" Nylon straps to tie down.
I never set my machines on the floor rather I set them up just the right amount... To get a 5000# Pallet Jack under them. Them skates are great and all but for something small like that a pallet Jack and away we go!
I also set my machines up because it is so much easier to clean the shop if you can get an air nozzle under the machine!

Which reminds me I have to pick-up a new Pallet Jack and make up some new risers...

Your machine looks right at home!

Pick up an inexpensive 2" Travel indicator/magbase (they are going to be in harms way so junk is fine) and hang an angle iron flag odd the front of the table and another for the Y-axis... presto a $139 DRO: (Dial Read Out)
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...AKA=SR319-3549

Old 07-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Having moved several hundred of these things... Safety first!
A car trailer and a rented forklift to load and unload.
2" Nylon straps to tie down.
I never set my machines on the floor rather I set them up just the right amount... To get a 5000# Pallet Jack under them. Them skates are great and all but for something small like that a pallet Jack and away we go!
I also set my machines up because it is so much easier to clean the shop if you can get an air nozzle under the machine!

Which reminds me I have to pick-up a new Pallet Jack and make up some new risers...

Your machine looks right at home!

Pick up an inexpensive 2" Travel indicator/magbase (they are going to be in harms way so junk is fine) and hang an angle iron flag odd the front of the table and another for the Y-axis... presto a $139 DRO: (Dial Read Out)
SEVERAL HUNDRED MACHINES ??? WTF you own a machine sales business ?? i don,t think my buddy in the biz has moved that many LOL
Old 07-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefrombc View Post
SEVERAL HUNDRED MACHINES ??? WTF you own a machine sales business ?? i don,t think my buddy in the biz has moved that many LOL
In 30+years I have moved several shops including my own.
Moved many machines around in various shops.
Re-worked shops into Production Cells etc, etc...

Old 07-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Master Fabricator

Good luck with the new machine Bandit! I too am looking forward to what you come up with
Old 07-27-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysinSpaceman View Post
Congrats Bandit! Now you can do more of your great machine work at home. I will be looking forward to seeing what bits you (and your wife) come up with next.
Thanks Jaysin. If you only knew what tricks I've got up my sleeve This mill will definitely get used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefrombc View Post
nice find , looks like a decent machine , and nice deal on the vice one of my favorites i have several fixtures i mount off the KURT vice when doing jobs
Yeah I got a great deal on the vise: $60. But if I had waited for a later lot, I coulda gotten two for that price. I've been to other auctions and seen these go for $200-250. This one is in great shape too.

The deals at this auction were unbelieveable! I paid $600 for the mill. I saw an older CNC Bridgeport syle machine go for only $900. And they sold a really nice Hardinge lathe for only $1500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
entropy, I've seen that done before and it's not a bad way to go. If I had seen indicators like that at the auction, I would have picked them up for sure. There was a nice Hardinge lathe with a similar type of setup, but it went with the lathe. I've got my heart set on a digital readout. The company that makes the mill has a 3 axis setup ready to go for only $350. I know it won't be a high quality unit, but I'm not planning on doing production work on this; it's just a home/hobby machine.

Can anyone recommend something for cleaning up all the ways and lubing things? I remember using some spray from LPS for the machines at school, but I can't remember which one it was.

Last edited by TheBandit; 07-27-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Master Fabricator

Man that is an awesome score Bandit

I just never seem to find deals like that......they always want new price for a pile o' crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Thanks Jaysin. If you only knew what tricks I've got up my sleeve This mill will definitely get used.
I can only imagine......
Old 07-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Can anyone recommend something for cleaning up all the ways and lubing things? I remember using some spray from LPS for the machines at school, but I can't remember which one it was.
WD-40 is a great cleaner. 'Bout all it is good for!
Simple green or= for the paint then when clean give it about 4 coats of wax... On the paint!
Brakeclean applied to a soft cloth will also work on the paint and remove the oil-crud just be sure to get way oil back in everything where appropriate. Oh and make sure that all the oil lines are flowing...

Old 07-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Master Fabricator

Very nice score Clint!

The horizontal spindle is a bonus.

What was the name of the auction company running the auction???

Helluva deal for all the machines you listed.

This is one of those examples of being in the right place at the right time! :-)

Grant
Old 07-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Master Fabricator

I really look forward to seeing the things you make with it. Have fun and be safe.

Darrin
Old 07-29-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
The horizontal spindle is a bonus.
Yeah, now if I can only figure out how to use it . I'll have to snap some pictures of the things the mill came with. There are some shafts with tapers on the ends that fit into that horizontal spindle and there's a bearing structure that supports the other end of the shaft from the head. I can't figure out how you would use the shaft exactly, but I have it!

What I'd like to do is put some kind of chuck on it so I can use the mill as a lathe (if it's possible?) or at least as a horizontal mill.

Quote:
What was the name of the auction company running the auction???
Boy, I'm not really sure. They didn't seem like a very legitimate/professional company, but I think they had a website and I'll try to find it for you tonight.

Quote:
This is one of those examples of being in the right place at the right time! :-)
No kidding!

Old 07-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Yeah, now if I can only figure out how to use it . I'll have to snap some pictures of the things the mill came with. There are some shafts with tapers on the ends that fit into that horizontal spindle and there's a bearing structure that supports the other end of the shaft from the head. I can't figure out how you would use the shaft exactly, but I have it!
To use the mill in horizontal mode you mount the tail spindle to the Ram after extending the ram out. You then turn the horz spindle so that it is facing the column and indicate it in.
Mount the cutter to the arbor then the arbor to the 90-head and tail spindle and cut.

Quote:
What I'd like to do is put some kind of chuck on it so I can use the mill as a lathe (if it's possible?) or at least as a horizontal mill.
To use the mill as a lathe do not use the 90-head! Hang the part out of the spindle and work vertically. use the vise as your tool holder.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:50 PM

entropy, thank you for the reply. I think I understood at least part of what you said. I will try to mock it up tonight and snap a picture; maybe you can tell me if I have it right.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:57 PM

I did some MS Paint here to help ID the parts. As far as I can tell, item 1 & item 2 are both the same thing and either one of them will fit into the horizontal spindle (item 3). entropy, are you referring to item 1 & 2 as the arbor?

There is a tail spindle, item 4 which is shown sitting upside-down on my garage floor in this picture. As I understand it, item 5 is the head which can be cranked toward the operator so the tail spindle (item 4) can be held onto the dovetail in the head item 5. The tail spindle item 4 supports the arbor item 1&2.

Do I have this right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7713_ID.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	5160  

Old 07-29-2009, 06:23 PM

I found this picture on the Grizzly website showing the horizontal spindle in action. Makes sense now! Also my mill looks strinkingly similar... might be the same thing with a different paint job as is often the case with imported machines.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Master Fabricator

Good deal.I used that machine in the vert mode. It worked very well, you'll be happy. Now go make chips and be happy.