Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:21 PM
Master Fabricator

115pc drill index that wont break the bank?

Looking for a new 115pc number / fractional / letter set to replace my 10+ year old set that has seen better days. Its also missing a lot of sizes.

Keep in mind Im not a shop, just a weeknight / weekend warrior.

Anyone have a recommendation for say under $150? Or can I only expect crap for that price these days? I swear the set I have now was under $100 and has been good enough.

Dan
Old 06-22-2017, 01:41 PM
Master Fabricator

??Why not just replace the bits that you need??

I have 4 sets (yes, that is well over $2500 in just drill bits) like you describe and the fact is I reach for a basic 14 piece index that has just the basic sizes I use 99% of the time. I pick them up at the Hm-Dep on sale, for around $12. After that I generally go for a Metric or SAE drill and tap block, nothing but quality in that kit!
I buy quality bits in the standard sizes that I use most often, in small quantityz depending on size.
For what I do this is by far the most economical way to go.

E

Old 06-22-2017, 01:50 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Someone posted about this color-coded setup a while back.

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/vie...dproduct=50453

I would like to copy that idea because a lot of my bits end up floating around in a drawer someplace. The color coding would make it easy to sort them. But that set is probably a bit too expensive for the bits it contains.

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:43 PM
Master Fabricator

E - the whole set is pretty beat up. I tend to grab random bits for pilot holes instead of having a few set sizes for them.

But it may make more sense to do like you said and get a handful of really good bits in the sizes that I tap the most and a more simple index for daily use.

I would like a new complete set though, for those times that I need a bit now.

Dan
Old 06-22-2017, 02:51 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post
E - the whole set is pretty beat up. I tend to grab random bits for pilot holes instead of having a few set sizes for them.

But it may make more sense to do like you said and get a handful of really good bits in the sizes that I tap the most and a more simple index for daily use.

I would like a new complete set though, for those times that I need a bit now.

Dan
I prefer Precision Twist Drill in black ox. for my general purpose bits.
A set like you want is somewhere about $500 and if used correctly you will hand them down to the kids in a few decades.
I generally avoid all of the consumer grade coated stuff, if it takes a Titanium coating, you should have used a better grade base steel to make the tool!

Yes I know not what you asked for

E

Old 06-22-2017, 09:43 PM
Master Fabricator

I'm with E on this one. Just get what you need. McMaster-Carr is great for getting individual quality drills.

I've been spending the extra couple bucks on cobalt recently. I also like the maintenance length drills, which are between the jobber and stub length size. They tend to wander less than a jobber drill (and give you more daylight under the chuck) but have more depth available than a stub length drill.

I have separate indexes for fractional (by 64ths), number, and letter drills...I think the giant 115 piece index is more of a PITA than it's worth. The only full one is the fractional. My number and letter drills are all sizes that I use with taps, reamers, or rivets.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:10 PM
Master Fabricator

I lucked out on a kijiji ad for a machinist tool box. I paid $100.00 and the Kennedy base cabinet and upper chest were full of new and used machinist tools. There was fractional, number, and letter in individual boxes. So.....don't forget to check craigslist and kijiji.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:21 AM
Master Fabricator

Great advise guys. I think Ill just start adding a couple bits to every mcmaster order. Itll be less painful and I can collect a nice set of bits that I use a lot. In fact, I forgot that I had added a handful of 1/8 and 1/4" bits to my order that showed up yesterday! haha

Dan
Old 06-27-2017, 01:15 AM
Junior Fabricator

Are the bits shot or just dull? Cutting edge dull or the flutes themselves dull from trying to enlarge holes by wobbling back and forth? If just the tip then I'll suggest truing up the grinding wheel and learn the fine art of sharpening drill bits :) not to difficult and I'm sure youtube has videos. Or if you're lucky you can find a drill doctor for cheap (got a 750xp for $21 on Amazon instead of $150, not sure what it was but it was in my cart and I seen that the price dropped so I bought it right away)
Old 06-29-2017, 05:03 AM
Master Fabricator

Red face

Anymore I just buy the Bits I use the Most.

Drill bits for the Tap sizes I use .

6,8,10,12 MM

1/8 3/16 1/4 5/16 3/8 1/2 5/8

Any serious holes I use the annular cutters

then to do the welding
Old 07-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Engineer, and Shop Monkey

I bought just the drill index from fast camp and was able to sort out several old boxes and drawers of bits, and now it is easy to reach for the ones I want. It is not a full index set but works really nice in the shop. Also, harbor freight has several carded sets of the smaller drill bits for a good price. I get those on trips I make there. Most often the really small bits do not last very long and they are too small for the drill Dr.

HF used to have a full set of bits in all sizes and the price was not too bad, but they are not the best bits. But do OK.

Carl
Old 08-29-2017, 08:11 AM
Fabricator

The Harbor Freight 115 Cobalt Set is alright, the bits don't LAST but you have the index and can replace sizes by attrition with better stuff....
Old 08-29-2017, 10:49 AM
Master Fabricator

The Norseman bits I have bought seem decent.

115 PC HIGH SPEED NORSEMAN DRILL BIT SET $180
Old 08-29-2017, 11:35 AM
Designer & Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I prefer Precision Twist Drill in black ox. for my general purpose bits.
A set like you want is somewhere about $500 and if used correctly you will hand them down to the kids in a few decades.
I generally avoid all of the consumer grade coated stuff, if it takes a Titanium coating, you should have used a better grade base steel to make the tool!

Yes I know not what you asked for

E
I am pretty sure mine (115pc set) are the Precision Twist brand. No complaints. I buy singles as needed for my CNC but the set is there for everything else in the shop.