Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:51 PM
Fabricator

JD2 Model 3 - Full Hydro Conversion

Looking to ditch my HF Air over Hydro on the tube bender and go full hydro.

I have a handful of elcetric motors, I believe they're Baldor .75HP / 1HP / 1.5HP and maybe a 2HP. Going to guess the hydro pump will dictate which one I need to use, and that leads to my question... and likely speed.

What hydraulic pump everyone is using, and will not bend way too fast.

I want it to be faster than the air over hydro FOR SURE just not OMG there goes 30*

The plan is going to be to make this eventually have quick connects so I can use it for shop press too

If I need to get a bigger motor then I get a bigger motor :)

2.5" x 24" RAM or what to hit 90* with the model 3 without re-pinning?

Would like to be able to bend 2.00 x .250 DOM if I needed too (can go slow, and I know is risky busting the bender itself) but NEVER regularly. Most of the tube will be 1.75 x .120 and some 2.0 x .120 DOM, might do some 1.5 x .250 rarely too.

EDIT: Just noticed a BENDING forum, this can be moved :)

Last edited by ToddW; 12-14-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:50 PM
Designer & Builder

I want to do the same someday. I am not a hydraulics expert and would probably buy a hyd power unit ready to attach hoses to. I do know flow rate of the pump will govern speed as well as pressure of the system will pertain to bending capabilities. My HF air/hyd is just not long enough to do a 90 so add a few inches to that.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:52 AM
Master Fabricator

Here is a link to my upgrade of a model 32
http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11268

The specifications are.
2.0cc pump
1.1kw 240v motor
200bar max pressure.

50mm diameter ram x 800mm stroke
Maximum bend of approx 120 degrees

I made additional brackets to add some length to the arms,
It will touch the tube on bigger radius bends, I'm using a 2" 6.5" clr die and it would touch the tube when approx at 115 degrees,

Adam
Old 12-16-2016, 12:32 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

If you get a standard directional control valve, you will be able to throttle the speed down, so I would go with the largest motor and flow rate pump that will meet your torque needs. A faster system will let you quickly get through the first part of the bend, then you can throttle down the speed as you approach the desired angle.

The size of the pump needed will depend on your desired bending capacity/torque, how you have your cylinder attached to the bender, the diameter of the cylinder, the rotation speed of the motor, and any gearing/pulleys you put in between. How much of this information do you know? Or are you starting from scratch?

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:11 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
If you get a standard directional control valve, you will be able to throttle the speed down, so I would go with the largest motor and flow rate pump that will meet your torque needs. A faster system will let you quickly get through the first part of the bend, then you can throttle down the speed as you approach the desired angle.

The size of the pump needed will depend on your desired bending capacity/torque, how you have your cylinder attached to the bender, the diameter of the cylinder, the rotation speed of the motor, and any gearing/pulleys you put in between. How much of this information do you know? Or are you starting from scratch?
I'm starting from scratch going to full-hydro.

I was hoping to be able to re-use a motor I currently have to save money. Current bender setup is a HF Air over Hydro I did about 10 years ago.

For the odd project here or there works fine, but now I'm starting an entire chassis so I'd like something a bit quicker, and capable of doing 2" . .250" rarely.

Currently setup like this:

Can re-mount/design stand, have material on hand :)

@TheBandit what parts would you go with? I need all related to hydro.

cylinder/valve/pump/hoses/(maybe motor)

Valve with auto return/detent would be nice I believe too.