Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Master Fabricator

I know this is the shop thread but that pool looks awesome! Very clean, which seems to be your trademark.

Man am I sorry for having to Tig all that, I did a similar job on some coffee and night tables before I had my MIG and man did it suck, great practice but slow going. Looks stellar though, if anyone is smart enough to notice they might appreciate it.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Master Fabricator

Ya, it really wasnt THAT bad. A few were a pain, but mostly I could sit in a stool or stand. I think it took longer to get the damn thing level before I started welding than to weld it. Heh.

Dan
Old 09-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Master Fabricator

Great job on all the projects!

Bench is going to be sweet.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:38 AM
Master Fabricator

I like the bench. Something like this is in my future.

My only welder is a TIG, so stuff like this can be a little tedious. It's not that bad, though, and keeps me in practice. I do have a stick stinger that gets hooked up for really nasty stuff.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Master Fabricator

That shop is AWESOME! Great job all around!
Old 09-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks!!

Nearly done with the rolling tool box for the right section of the bench. The space is fairly wide at just shy of 7' so I thought it might be nice to be able to move the box to access it depending on what I was working on, and where I wanted to sit etc. Im sure Ill end up just parking it at one end or the other, but its something I thought would be fun to do and completely unnecessary, right up my alley.

I still need to do some final tweaks like replacing the 4 bolts for the bearings with some threaded rod, and making guides to be sure the box stays centered on the track. Otherwise just a little weld clean up and paint

Roller assembly with brake.

Used an old super long bolt I salvaged from an old table, welded a nut to the end, and a quick mod to the clamp for the actuator rod assembly (removed the pressed in pin for a 10-32 bolt).

Mounted to the top of the 18" HF box. I added supports on either side of the clamp as it wasnt very stable laterally otherwise.

Clamp lever and actuator rod fit nicely above the top drawer.

Actuator knob in unlocked position. Pushes in flush with the box to lock.

I can park the box anywhere along the whole end section.

Video of it in action (not sure how to embed it)

http://www.clubhousecustoms.com/gall...19dc15d778e45d

Still have a couple little things to weld to the bench, but Im planning to paint it saturday am with my little helper.

Dan
Old 09-15-2014, 10:06 PM
Master Fabricator

Painted. Next Ill probably paint the OSB behind the bench.

Dan
Old 09-15-2014, 11:15 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Very cool Dan. Fun to do and unnecessary? PERFECT! You are almost ready to be an engineer. We are very good at "solving" problems we never had to begin with, creating plenty more in the process. Unfortunately it seems you've created too many useful things to be qualified.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Very cool Dan. Fun to do and unnecessary? PERFECT! You are almost ready to be an engineer. We are very good at "solving" problems we never had to begin with, creating plenty more in the process. Unfortunately it seems you've created too many useful things to be qualified.
haha yup. Funny at work (Im an electrical engineer) I try really hard to use KISS and not do anything unnecessary. So must be it spills out at home.

Dan
Old 09-16-2014, 01:15 PM

I guess I didn't know or forgot you were an EE. What type of work do you do?
Old 09-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post
(Im an electrical engineer)
You know you can't spell "geek" without "EE", right?

(Mechanical engineer, here. )
Old 09-16-2014, 02:41 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
I guess I didn't know or forgot you were an EE. What type of work do you do?
I sustain a line of automatic impedance matching networks used in the semiconductor industry. Our products ultimately end up at Intel, Motorola, Toshiba etc semiconductor fabs. I also sustain several MRI amplifiers, mainly for Phillips medical. So ya, if you get an MRI on a Phillips machine its likely to be our RF amplifier thats lining up your hydrogen atoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
You know you can't spell "geek" without "EE", right?

(Mechanical engineer, here. )
Exactly. lol

Dan
Old 09-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Master Fabricator

I'll continue this derail...Dan, I work for Trumpf in NJ, the facility I'm at does laser diode growth and wafer fab stuff, also have an RF generator department. Pretty wild stuff, especially when one of the gas alarms goes off! You know what Im talkin about!

I'm just a dumb old operator, machining mirrors for industrial lasers.

Shop looks great!
Old 09-16-2014, 04:20 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullnerd View Post
I'll continue this derail...Dan, I work for Trumpf in NJ, the facility I'm at does laser diode growth and wafer fab stuff, also have an RF generator department. Pretty wild stuff, especially when one of the gas alarms goes off! You know what Im talkin about!

I'm just a dumb old operator, machining mirrors for industrial lasers.

Shop looks great!
I do know. We dont do much plasma processing here, just some simple test chambers that we mainly just run O2 in. We dont have the super deadly stuff like SF6 etc that can easily kill you.

Dan
Old 09-19-2014, 09:54 AM
Master Fabricator

Primed and painted (found a color pretty close to the metal) behind the bench area, slid the bench frame nearly into place, and painted the boiler (404:not found yet) / compressor room.

I also cleared out most of the north wall in preparation to insulate and started capping the wall with 1" foam like I did the south side.

The plan is to pick up some laminate today for the bench tops and with any luck get the tops laminated and installed tomorrow.

Dan
Old 09-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Master Fabricator

Saturday I finished up the roller assy for the box. Welded in the bolts to hang the box from, cleaned up the welds, painted it and riveted on some 1/8" abs strips to serve as guides and got it mounted.

Then I ripped two of the bench tops down to 32" depth. Ran out of time to get the last section ready. Hopefully get back to that tomorrow night and get the tops laminated.

Dan
Old 09-22-2014, 11:23 AM

It looks right at home now. Nice work!
Old 09-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Master Fabricator

Thursday night I cranked out a bunch of insulation. I was off friday and did more insulation, finished capping the rest of the north wall with the 1" rigid foam and installed most of the insulation baffles. Pretty good progress for 8 hours of work.

Thursday nights progress

Friday (also insulated two sections behind the stairs (not pictured)

Im down to ~200sqft of insulation left to put up as shown here.

Saturday I FINALLY had time to laminate the bench top and install the edge T molding.

Bench laminated and groove cut for the T molding, laminating the backsplash

Nearly finished product. The other end is getting a steel or stainless top that I still dont have yet. But at least I have a nice work surface.

Yesterday I spent a bunch of time cleaning up and organizing between closing the pool and doing other yard / house nonsense.

Dan
Old 09-29-2014, 12:18 PM

Can you explain the T moulding? Is that the rubberized edge around the outside? Do you just route a groove for install? Is it glued on/in? Were you able to laminate the full length with one sheet or do you have joints someplace?
Old 09-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Can you explain the T moulding? Is that the rubberized edge around the outside? Do you just route a groove for install? Is it glued on/in? Were you able to laminate the full length with one sheet or do you have joints someplace?
The T-molding I get from www.t-molding.com.

its like this

You simply route a groove into the edge and hammer it in. No glue is required, it goes in VERY tight. The router bit wasnt that cheap but Ive used it quite a few times now (new counters for the camper, my rolly shop bench, wifes sewing table, and now this bench).

The part of the bench that I laminated is one 12' long sheet. The backsplash was done in one 12' section and one 6' section.

FYI - Laminate comes in 4'x8', 5'x12', and 30"x12' sheets. Of course you need to go straight to a counter supply place to get it but its likely every city has a couple.

Dan