Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:11 AM
Master Fabricator

Last night I finished up some plastic taping, a little insulation, installed a bunch of J trim, and I installed two wall panels over the man door.

Then a buddy came over and we got 8 ceiling panels installed, which took a little over 3 hours. We did spent a bit of time screwing with the garage door brackets. I cut about 10" off the piece that bolts to the ceiling to avoid cutting too many ribs out of the steel and just so it would look nicer. I think now that we are into the middle area it "should" go a little faster. Plus now we have a system down for pre-measuring where the screws are going etc.

Dan
Old 05-05-2014, 08:49 AM
Master Fabricator

Saturday AM we got another 6 panels up on the ceiling. So now just over 1/4 done. I also got the first 4 light fixtures hung and wired (only two pictured, obv).

Last night I got the first panel on the front wall installed.

Closeup of grommet for speaker wire and outlet plate.

I would have started on the panels over the garage door but I need to cut up more flashing to hide the wood above the J trim. Im sure no one else would notice but it bugged me seeing the wood, and especially seeing the giant blue LOWES on the house wrap tape I used to seal the ceiling plastic. I only had enough to go just past that first panel.

Of course this pic doesnt really show how much better it looks white. oh well.

Dan
Old 05-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Master Fabricator

Lookin good Dan!

Im just about to start with the interior of my building also.

How are you holding the panels up to the ceiling? I'm going to use a drywall lift, I didn't see anything in your pics.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks!

A friend and I have just been holding them up. I have a small rolling scaffold that I use, and he uses a 8' ladder. We are sort of going "backwards" so the second piece slides under the first, which helps hold it while he gets a couple screws in. Then I put a couple in, then we meet in the middle.

I acually have a drywall lift that I had planned to use for this, but honestly, this way seems just as easy and probably faster.

DEFINITELY pre-mark where the screws will be, and maybe even predrill if you get a wild hair. The liner panel isnt bad to screw through, but the on the exterior sheets predrilling makes it so much easier.

Dan
Old 05-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Master Fabricator

Didnt get a ton of time last night, but I did manage to get some more flashing installed under the end J channel, insulated and installed the steel over one garage door. I had to put one extra seam in over the center torsion support bracket, but its nearly impossible to see. I just overlapped the joint a tiny bit and added an extra screw.

Tonight its back to insulating the south (window) wall and trying to get some more steel up.

Dan
Old 05-06-2014, 11:17 AM
Master Fabricator

That really looks great! This is one thing I would consider doing differently in my shop if I had to do it over. I have drywall on the walls and ceiling, and I think I would do at least the ceiling in metal. At least that's what I was thinking while mudding and taping what seemed like an acre of drywall on the ceiling...

Old 05-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice job Dan.

If you get a chance could you take a few closer pics of the flashing around the o-doors?

How did you get it under the mounting hardware for the doors? I really don't want to remove the doors for the flashing but don't want any exposed wood either. I was thinking of just pulling the screws and slipping it under and putting the screws right back in.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:05 AM
Master Fabricator

Ill try to get some pics tomorrow. Just got home from helping a friend at his shop.

If I forget, remind me thrusday.

Dan
Old 05-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullnerd View Post
Nice job Dan.

If you get a chance could you take a few closer pics of the flashing around the o-doors?

How did you get it under the mounting hardware for the doors? I really don't want to remove the doors for the flashing but don't want any exposed wood either. I was thinking of just pulling the screws and slipping it under and putting the screws right back in.
The flashing was installed prior to the garage door install. The guys that framed and skinned the building wrapped the opening with the metal flashing, then put the Azek trim around the opening (outside). The garage door guys came in after and installed the rails etc.

You might be able to loosen the tracks and slip something under with the door down. Seems possible, obviously not as easy as having it done first. I suspect Ill be doing something similar when I finally redo our attached garage once I move into the new shop.

Dan
Old 05-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Master Fabricator

Got 8 more panels up last night. 4 more to be half way done. 30 to go total.

Going to pick up 3 more lights on the way home today so I can complete that first row.

Dan
Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Master Fabricator

Saturday pm I put up one more light and last night another. I now have 6 total, 9 to go.

Ran a couple of 220V lines for one of the on demand hot water heaters and a welder outlet near the lift area.

Put up a couple more pieces of insulation and two more wall panels.

Going to finish up the wiring tonight and likely hang more ceiling or wall panels on wed.

Dan
Old 05-13-2014, 07:02 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanks for the extra pics, looks great. If i'd known I would have done the trim before the doors were installed. I was so excited to actually be getting a building I forgot all about it.

I'll try to slip it in.

Cant wait to start installing some panels.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Master Fabricator

No problem.

Installing the panels is awesome. Really transforms the space, and makes it seem like the end might just possibly be near.

Dan
Old 05-14-2014, 07:14 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullnerd View Post
If i'd known I would have done the trim before the doors were installed.
I made the exact same mistake on my first shop. I remembered when we built the current one.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:47 AM
Master Fabricator

Got another section of insulation up and 3 more steel panels up on the south wall. One more and Ill be half way!

Im hoping to get a ton done this weekend / monday.

Dan
Old 05-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Master Fabricator

How are you cutting / notching the panels?
Old 05-16-2014, 12:19 PM
Master Fabricator

I have an assortment of cutters.

1. Typical red/ green tin snips
2. A pair of these:

3. and these:

4. and this

To do the outlet holes, I drill a big hole with a unibit first, then use the tin snips. Works pretty well.

Dan
Old 05-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Master Fabricator

Sat pm my father in law and I got a little insulation up and two more wall panels. (no pics)

Sunday am I finished tying in a couple of 220V lines to the panel box, installed the fan speed controller, and the connected the last switch for the bench lights (which is what the romex hanging out of the wall between the windows is for), and got the panel box trim all back on etc.

Then I took yesterday off. Did a little yard work, then spent about 3 hours finishing up the south wall insulation.

Late last night I went back out and hung basically all of the south wall upper metal panels. I just have one partial panel to do in the corner which requires I hang one sheet on the back wall first.

PEX feed through for the outdoor pool shower. Its almost like I planned that perfect. Because I did.

And then, because there is no sleep til Brooklyn, I put up a few of the lower panels.

More wed night.

Dan
Old 05-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Master Fabricator

Nice! I'm liking the two tone paneling with the contrasting trim in the middle.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks.

I really need to get some pics in real light. Its actually even nicer looking in person. The grey is actually the lighter grey that I used on the outside. Its so dark in my 0:darkthrity pics.

Dan