Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfs View Post
very nice shop, what is the siding on it? how much did the concrete floor cost you? i think instead of a house i would be happy with something like this and just live upstairs, lol.
The siding is steel, from these guys http://www.weatheredgebc.com/

Basically a local version of the Fabral steel (the big guys out here). In fact the two guys that started this place are ex Fabral employees.

As for the floor, Id have to look as they did other work for me other than just the floor pour. But I think it was about $5500.

Dan
Old 06-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Fabricator

the floor heating is sweet, do you know what that will cost to run? i guess you will find out and let us know? her in California i need in shop a/c.. some day.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Master Fabricator

No clue what it will cost to run. I know itll be more for me since propane is about 2x the cost of natural gas here.

also

Just passed electrical inspection. woot.

Inspector asked "did you do this yourself? because it looks really nice" :)

Dan
Old 07-01-2013, 02:43 PM
NOT a fabricator

I really kinda hate you right now.

(Translate directly to "I'm jealous")
Old 07-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post

EDIT: Looking back at some of the pics, I am worried about the newell (sp) post at the top of the steps. Dont they usually go through the floor and bolt to the side of a floor joist? Not trying to critisize, just thought now is the time to think about it.

Last edited by Defender Chassis; 07-01-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender Chassis View Post

EDIT: Looking back at some of the pics, I am worried about the newell (sp) post at the top of the steps. Dont they usually go through the floor and bolt to the side of a floor joist? Not trying to critisize, just thought now is the time to think about it.
Good thought.

It likely should, since that little end section of the wall is currently not that sturdy. HOWEVER there is going to be a permanent bench along that wall which should really tie things together bolted to the wall and floor.

Dan
Old 07-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Just passed electrical inspection. woot.

Dan
vs all the hack work he see's buy people that do it for a living? you care more its your shop. its way hot here today wish i had shop a/c.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Master Fabricator

fantastic work,a credit to you for sure
Old 07-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks!

Ran the vac duct for the table saw under the floor last night (still need to move the saw back over it). Was "fun" doing it by myself. Now I just need to come up with a funnel for inside the saw. I THINK Im going to use a transmission drain funnel, trimmed to fit.

Then I decided to finally try to get the rain barrel going, ya know, before all the rain stops. The wife's dad scored this 275 gallon container from Ithaca college when they replaced them a few years back (chlorine storage for the pools / fountain). Unfortunately they were originally installed before the building was finished and had to be cut in half to be removed. So here is my attempt to put it back together.

Two pieces

Had a friend of mine bend up these two pieces of 1/8" aluminum to use as a giant band clamp. can also see where I cleaned up the plastic near the joint

Inside, lined up and ready to be sealed.

And together with the lid on. I still need to seal it and add a few bolts to keep the band in place, but I think it should work out pretty good.

Dan
Old 10-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Master Fabricator

Well its been a long time since Ive made any progress on the shop. The end of summer was busy with vacation, putting up a pool, doing some landscaping, building a fence etc. Finally getting back to it.

Decided it would be nice to actually use the upstairs storage area so I put up some osb monday night. Im not doing the ceiling since its just a cold storage area. Hoping to prime it up sunday.

I also bought some parts to get the dust collection system going as the table saw has been getting some use and is creating a huge mess.

Going to start insulating and sheeting the south wall of the wood shop this weekend.

Dan
Old 10-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Master Fabricator

Had the whole weekend to myself so naturally (for me anyway) that means two days of continuous work.

Decided to continue the sheeting from the storage area into the wood shop area.

I got the long south and short east walls insulated, sheeted those as well as the half wall by the stairs, and put two coats of oil based Kilz on (about 4 gals worth).

Next I need to caulk some of the joints, paint the walls and get some trim up. Then move everything over to this wall and get that north wall finished up.

Dan
Old 10-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Master Fabricator

Nice work!

Quote:
Then move everything over to this wall and get that north wall finished up.
This is the part that sucks when you're trying to do things yourself, and have to put some stuff in the unfinished shop. I don't want to think about how many times some of my stuff got moved in the process of building my shop.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
Nice work!

This is the part that sucks when you're trying to do things yourself, and have to put some stuff in the unfinished shop. I don't want to think about how many times some of my stuff got moved in the process of building my shop.
Haha yup. Its a constant battle of trying to put stuff where it wont be in the way. Which is impossible, like herding cats.

Dan
Old 11-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Master Fabricator

A couple weeks ago I insulated, sheeted and primed (only got like 1 1/4 coats on as I ran out) the north wall.

Built some shelves out of some old doors I got off CL for $5 ea for all the hand power tools.

Built 32' of shelving along the one wall of the storage room

I scored these two old desk tops from work and made them into a little bench upstairs. They arent awesome, but for nearly $0 itll get the job done for now.

Dan
Old 04-17-2014, 09:41 AM
Master Fabricator

I havent updated this in forever, as I havent worked on it in forever. Until recently.

In the last couple weeks Ive been working on the insulation, finally.

Ceiling -

Im installing R30 under the upstairs floor area. The rest will be R49 blown-in once the steel is up.
Im currently at about 60% done. Hoping to have the rest done either tonight or by sat pm.

Walls -

Started insulating the front of the posts, to keep any cold air from getting between the 2x6s they are made from (no they arent glue laminated).

Also I had some 25" gaps between all the windows and the posts. I used some 2" foam along the posts to bridge the gap vs trying to fill in a 2" piece of fibergass.

Finally, capped the walls between each truss with some 1" foam to help prevent cold air from pouring down into the walls. The way Im insulating them, fiberglass between the purlins, I thought itd be hard to seal without doing this. Even if it doesnt make a huge difference Im only out the $15 for a sheet of foam.

South wall all ready for insulation. I actually have about 50sqft done, just no pics.

Progress will hopefully be alot faster now. I hope.

Dan
Old 04-18-2014, 06:35 PM
Junior Fabricator

Wow!!!
You have built yourself a beautiful work space. Top quality work there Mister!
Old 04-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Master Fabricator

Looking great! You won't regret doing so much insulation work a bit. It's the one product you pay for whether you buy it or not. Are you planning on insulating the ceiling of your room in the attic? Or is that space not going to be heated.

I have basically the same setup for insulation in the attic of my shop. R49 (R19 + R30 going the opposite direction) on the sides, and rigid foam under the floor that's around R30. It's no problem to keep the shop warm in the winter with the heater running very little.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:18 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
Wow!!!
You have built yourself a beautiful work space. Top quality work there Mister!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
Looking great! You won't regret doing so much insulation work a bit. It's the one product you pay for whether you buy it or not. Are you planning on insulating the ceiling of your room in the attic? Or is that space not going to be heated.

I have basically the same setup for insulation in the attic celing (walls are already done) of my shop. R49 (R19 + R30 going the opposite direction) on the sides, and rigid foam under the floor that's around R30. It's no problem to keep the shop warm in the winter with the heater running very little.
Eventually Im going to do some sort of insulation in the attic room. Im just not sure with exactly what yet, or what Im going to finish the ceiling with. The key was getting the walls done so I could actually use the space.

I got a bunch more done today. The ceiling is basically done other than a handful a pieces that I cant put up as I have a few more boards to nail up on the garage door end.

Also I managed to crank out a bunch of the south wall. Its around 70% done. The other walls should go much faster as there are no windows, doors, etc to go around.

Dan
Old 04-21-2014, 08:45 AM
Master Fabricator

Pretty well done with the ceiling now. Just a couple pieces I need to toss in once I get ceiling fan boxes in place.

Ran hopefully the last few 110V lines, to the ceiling fans and to two locations for lights over the bench area.

Also, have about 75% of the south wall insulation done. I think the other walls will go MUCH faster. We shall see.

Dan
Old 04-29-2014, 10:46 AM
Master Fabricator

Saturday pm I worked on a little more insulation.

Sunday am a friend and I got the plastic up on the south section of the ceiling. It took some time, but wasnt SO bad. I still need to do a little taping but ran out of house wrap tape.

Then yesterday this showed up, along with a mountain of J and Z trim, about 1200lbs worth. I only had enough cash to get the metal for the ceiling, the south (window) wall - where my 18' workbench will go, and the west wall (overhead door).

Started putting up a few pieces last night because I couldnt wait. Im loving the look of the light grey, blue and white. the night pics sorta suck. Ill try to get one during daylight when I get home later.

Im hoping to get a good start on the ceiling tomorrow night.

Dan