Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:04 AM
Master Fabricator

Another boring update.

I didnt want to deal with trying to crawl under the foam I use to block off the stairs for winter again this year, what a pain.

Glued the 4 pieces of 2" foam together with some construction adhesive to make one large piece about 12' long, 42" wide. It seems stiff enough to not need any other support.

Then I came up with a simple lift system using a couple pulleys, some rope and a 15lb weight. I did need to make a catch to hold it open as its just under balanced to ensure it stays closed. Nothing fancy but its working great and I wont have to swear every time I want to go upstairs this winter.

Dan
Old 10-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post
Another boring update.

I didnt want to deal with trying to crawl under the foam I use to block off the stairs for winter again this year, what a pain.

Glued the 4 pieces of 2" foam together with some construction adhesive to make one large piece about 12' long, 42" wide. It seems stiff enough to not need any other support.

Then I came up with a simple lift system using a couple pulleys, some rope and a 15lb weight. I did need to make a catch to hold it open as its just under balanced to ensure it stays closed. Nothing fancy but its working great and I wont have to swear every time I want to go upstairs this winter.

Dan
Nice! I did something very similar for my attic access door because it's really heavy (2x6's and drywall). You might be able to adjust the geometry to get it to stay open without a latch. I have one of my pulleys set back toward the hinge, so when the door is closed, the cable (in my case) is less than 90 degrees to the door. When the door is opened, the angle opens up to 90 degrees so all of the weight is holding the door open instead of pulling it into the hinge.

I'm sure I probably did some math to come up with the numbers on mine, but a little trial/error should get you there pretty quick.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Very cool. Nice job.

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:43 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
Nice! I did something very similar for my attic access door because it's really heavy (2x6's and drywall). You might be able to adjust the geometry to get it to stay open without a latch. I have one of my pulleys set back toward the hinge, so when the door is closed, the cable (in my case) is less than 90 degrees to the door. When the door is opened, the angle opens up to 90 degrees so all of the weight is holding the door open instead of pulling it into the hinge.

I'm sure I probably did some math to come up with the numbers on mine, but a little trial/error should get you there pretty quick.
Ah ya, cool.

I put the upper pulley back a random amount so it would pull the foam towards the pivot area (I didnt use any hinges or anything, just a vertical piece of scrap plywood for it to push against). I suppose I could mess around with it some, we'll see if it starts to annoy me. For now its infinitely better than trying to sneak under every time. Drove me Fn crazy.

Dan
Old 10-06-2015, 01:49 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post
Ah ya, cool.

I put the upper pulley back a random amount so it would pull the foam towards the pivot area (I didnt use any hinges or anything, just a vertical piece of scrap plywood for it to push against). I suppose I could mess around with it some, we'll see if it starts to annoy me. For now its infinitely better than trying to sneak under every time. Drove me Fn crazy.

Dan
No doubt. I had a temporary piece of foam over my opening and it was a PITA. Especially the day it broke in half on me.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice. I have a small hole in the ceiling to the attic, with a piece of foam covering it. The attic is vented. The problem I have is that the foam gets sucked up when we get a strong wind. Your " door" is much larger/ heavier than mine, might not be an issue for you.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Master Fabricator

I had that happen last year a couple times when the pieces were all separate and I had the big door open (which doesnt happen much). Now that they are glued together I dont think it will be an issue.

Dan
Old 02-19-2016, 10:35 PM
Master Fabricator

Ive been off this week so I took some time to finish up a couple of projects downstairs.

1. Building doors for the compressor / boiler "room".

The doors are OSB on the outside, lined with some left over R13, and some left over sheetrock on the inside. Id like to get some seals for the door, but its blocking about 13dB from 5', which is a pretty damn good improvement. Next I need to plumb in some air lines at least to a couple locations. And Im going to add an after cooler between the compressor and tank. I figure I can run the lines up through the ceiling there and mount the cooler to the wall above.

2. Emptying out the last of the left over building supplies and painting the last bay under the stairs. Eventually Im going to make a small vented spray painting booth since I always seem to be spray bombing something. Not sure what else will go under here yet. Ive since moved that red box of scrap wood and everything else upstairs to the wood, shop or to the burn pile.

Dan
Old 10-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Master Fabricator

Finally.

Dan
Old 10-11-2016, 02:20 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice!

Why the mod to the ceiling?
Old 10-11-2016, 04:32 PM
Master Fabricator

Very cool! You will use it more than you ever thought possible, at least I know I have.

What brand of lift is that?
Old 10-11-2016, 09:12 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullnerd View Post
Nice!

Why the mod to the ceiling?
Was about an inch too short. heyo!

I probably could have just done two holes but I wanted to be sure since I was having it installed and didnt want to have to make some last minute rash decisions / adjustments while they were staring at me. At least this way if I need to service the hydraulics or whatever I have room up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
Very cool! You will use it more than you ever thought possible, at least I know I have.

What brand of lift is that?
Its a Forward. 10k pound "versametric" - so it can be loaded asymmetrical or symmetrical. I picked it up very lightly used for $2k from a guy I know who was moving to a new place without a big enough garage. I had the place he bought it from take it down, drive it 90 miles to my place, and reinstall it for $500. I probably could have done it myself, but they made it look too easy and at least I know it was done right. Also not lifting a finger was pretty nice for a change.

Dan
Old 10-12-2016, 02:47 PM
Master Fabricator

Spent more time cleaning it up last night. Got the arms switched around (heavy sob's), replaced some hardware that I didnt love, zip tied the hydro lines to the cylinders and what not all nice nice.

Took the cavy for a vertical ride late.

Dan
Old 10-12-2016, 02:52 PM

There's a car I haven't seen in a while! Congrats on the new equipment. Must be nice!

Old 10-12-2016, 03:16 PM
Master Fabricator

I hadnt seen it in a while either. I actually had to drive it outside into the frosty am so they could back the truck in to unload the lift. Its probably the last youll see of it for a while. Though now that I have a lift I may be more tempted to finally pull the gas tank and swap the pump.......

Dan
Old 10-12-2016, 05:35 PM

I didn't know it was running? If all you need to do is swap a fuel pump, what are you waiting for??? Should be easy to drop the tank with that lift :)

Old 10-13-2016, 08:00 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
I didn't know it was running? If all you need to do is swap a fuel pump, what are you waiting for??? Should be easy to drop the tank with that lift :)
...until mission creep kicks in. "While I have the tank out I might as well..."

And all of a sudden the car is on the lift for the next month.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:06 PM
Master Fabricator

Its as if you can read my mind.....
Old 10-13-2016, 03:57 PM

Better on the lift than under a cover in the corner somewhere. What is this lift for anyway if not to get that car back to the track?

Old 10-21-2016, 11:09 AM
Master Fabricator

Trimmed out the hole in the ceiling and got the insulation back in place. "fun times"

Taking pics aimed at lights sucks, it makes my shop seem like a cave.

In process before lower J trim.

Dan

Last edited by juicedz4; 10-21-2016 at 11:11 AM.