Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:13 PM
Master Fabricator

Great job all around! Really like the benchtop.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:29 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullnerd View Post
Great job all around! Really like the benchtop.
Thanks! Its finally coming together.

Got the sander mounted on the stand and finished (minus a few screws Im short) the metal on the half wall. STILL waiting on the correct color Z trim for the white / grey split.

However, I did get lucky and they sent me an extra 60 linear feet of the right color grey metal as supports for the two long sheets that were damaged during the last shipment. So I now have enough to finish the lower part of the north wall and the other side of the half wall for $0 and a little sweat equity cutting it up.

Dan
Old 02-09-2015, 10:45 AM
Master Fabricator

Been a slow few weeks. Ive been working a bunch of OT so I could buy the last $500 worth of metal to finish sheeting the inside. The order (minus the Fn white J trim showed up friday).

I did manage to sheet the side of the stairs with some 3/8 plywood I had left over from another project last week. Ill be painting the wood to match the metal.

This weekend I did what I could without the white J trim. Finished up the stairway wall since I can slip the J in after.

Did another 12' of the north wall, again will slip J in when it shows.

Finished up the outside of the half wall.

Yesterday I picked up a 6mo old 40" Husky box for $200. Should be good enough for the fab area stuff. Drill bits, tin snips, abrasive discs etc. Sold the old grey craftsman box for $50, so only a $150 upgrade. Not bad. Finally trimmed the extra top off of the welding table, box slips in just perfect.

If all goes well Ill be finishing up the steel on thrusday night.

Dan
Old 02-11-2015, 09:32 AM
Master Fabricator

Started painting all the exposed wood last night. Painting the underside of the stairs sucked. I still need to cut a narrow piece of plywood to finish up the little wall near the boiler system.

The rest of the wood along the stairs will be painted white to match the walls. Maybe Ill even mix up some dark blue and paint a little stripe between white and grey...

Not too exciting, but the grey is SO much nicer than bare wood.

(yes I still need to mount the PEX to the wall, but the paint was still wet)

Dan
Old 02-11-2015, 10:33 AM
Master Fabricator

I would owe my wife forever cause I hate painting! It sure does look great though.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:29 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

That looks great! You're causing me to reconsider plywood for built-in storage because it looks good painted.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Master Fabricator

Painting the bottom of the stairs, now that's dedication! Yours are actually visible from the main part of the shop, so I can understand why. I probably would have done the same. Looks great!
Old 02-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
I would owe my wife forever cause I hate painting! It sure does look great though.
Hah. Ya I dont hate it, but man, that much brushing sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
That looks great! You're causing me to reconsider plywood for built-in storage because it looks good painted.
It does look decent, even with just one coat and no primer, even the OSB looks alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
Painting the bottom of the stairs, now that's dedication! Yours are actually visible from the main part of the shop, so I can understand why. I probably would have done the same. Looks great!
Thanks. Im covering ALL the wood, it looks so unfinished to me. A buddy of mine built a new shop for his business (100x48) and they left a lot of plywood unpainted, it looks awful. Its worth the extra $100 or w/e for a few gallons of paint and primer.

Dan
Old 02-17-2015, 09:15 AM
Master Fabricator

Great progress this weekend. Managed a couple hours sat and sun.

Finished up the pretty much all the metal.

North wall done. Its amazing how much brighter the whole building is now that this wall is no longer insulation paper brown.

Finished painting under the stairs above the rooms.

East wall above rooms done.

Painted the wood along the stairs late last night. (Also painted the little cabinet above the parts washer)

Maybe later this week Ill get the last area under the stairs painted and the final piece of wood up in the corner by the boiler (and painted). Then Ill basically only have the windows left to trim out and the first floor should be "done".

Dan
Old 03-03-2015, 03:00 PM
Master Fabricator

No real progress as of late. Ive actually been working a bit in there, instead of on it. Which is awesome.

But I did pick up a used 42" tv and chromecast for a sweet deal. Now I have a 42" Pandora display. I also got it tied into the stereo system. I am disappointed its not centered on the wall, but I put my support board in centered and the pivoting mount I bought caused an offset on the tv. Ill likely section and extend/shorten the mount at some point so its centered. For now its getting the job done.

I also got the last piece of plywood cut and painted near the boiler. So just down to that one area to paint up.

And a couple overview pics of the place from last week.

Dan

Last edited by juicedz4; 03-03-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:27 PM
Master Fabricator

Needed a little more light over the welding table, which I had already planned for. Picked up a light friday and hung it saturday. I use some 1/16" steel cable and eyelets to hang it from the ceiling. To keep it from swinging and to run the wires to the wall box I used a 24" piece of 1/2" EMT. Much better lit over there now. I will likely put another perpendicular to this one over the sander and band saw, eventually.

Dan
Old 03-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Master Fabricator

Cool. I intend to put a light over my lathe like that. Can't have too much light!
Old 03-16-2015, 04:00 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
Cool. I intend to put a light over my lathe like that. Can't have too much light!
Sure can't. I realize this more as I rapidly approach 40. I can only imagine how many lights ill have by 60. haha

Dan
Old 03-16-2015, 06:29 PM
Expedition Vehicles Aust.

Watch fluro lights over lathes. As they flicker at 50 HZ, they can have a strobe effect at certain lathe speeds - and the lathe can appear stopped. Incandescent lights are better for this purpose.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:27 AM
Master Fabricator

Back in May I got most of the inside of the trailer painted, some shelves built, and finished up the PVC tool holder wall. Ive been using it a ton, its working out great. I still need to trim out the doors I built, Im hoping to get to that this week.

Friday I got the thrid HF box for the bench. I also added another section of wire shelving, hung my wire rack, reorganized and cleaned up a ton.

Its hard to see in this pic, but I also trimmed out the windows. Pine on the top and sides, and I used up some leftover Azek I had from the pool deck for the sills. Ill grab a better pic tonight when its dark out. Hard to get a good pic facing into the light from the windows.

Dan
Old 07-21-2015, 04:40 PM
Master Fabricator

Looks great!

funny ,when you put up the panel liners, every piece of bare wood stands out!
Old 09-14-2015, 11:17 AM
Master Fabricator

Nothing too exciting, but I scored a few Akro bin panels (got two free b/c Zoro was unable to package the first two correctly) and decided to add them inside an old cabinet I got free. The cabinet needed a bit of work, hammering straight, grinding rust, replacing missing fasteners etc. Its been annoying me so I figured why not.

With this configuration I should have room for about 68 bins. The shelf under will be for spray paints. Im still unsure whats going to go below that. Im SURE Ill find something to fill it with.

I did get the shell of the cabinet painted last night. May try to get to the doors tonight or tomorrow. Likely going to sheet over the shelves with some new aluminum so they are a little stronger and I dont have to paint them.

Dan
Old 09-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

What's going on with the Cavalier? Surely it's higher priority that making an old cabinet pretty (says the guy who hasn't worked on his car in a year).
Old 09-19-2015, 04:43 AM
Junior Fabricator

Nice barn. I love the two tone and lots of windows. I wish my barn was that big.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:00 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
What's going on with the Cavalier? Surely it's higher priority that making an old cabinet pretty (says the guy who hasn't worked on his car in a year).
Its just sitting under its cover. I moved it once this year from the barn to the driveway for a washing and then moved it right back in. sigh.

I have a few things I want to do over winter. We'll see if it happens or not. I do have a list (in my head) and am started to get excited to get it back on the road for next year. Ive just been so damn busy with house projects and building the shop that its been on the way back burner. Not to mention the wife would like to see her VW done, since its been 7 years since I brought it home and it hasnt been driven once yet. And now my daughter is asking if it will be done before shes in high school, haha.

Dan