Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
You will create magic once you get this thing finished.

Your plumbing looks so much better than a "plumbers" work. Plumbing layout is as much a visual art as it is a engineering challenge.
Thanks. I wish I could have swapped the hot and cold manifolds so I wouldnt need that one cross over, but the way we plumbed the floor I couldn't.

Dan
Old 12-15-2014, 09:57 AM
Master Fabricator

Mounted the computer to the wall under the bench and moved the radio onto its side like it will be once I get the bench end panel done. Im going to see about getting the aluminum cut for that this week (and for the last section of the bench top) so I can finally finish mounting that up and remove the bucket. Still need to get the monitor mounted to the wall and feed the cables down through. I think the monitor mount is due today.

FINALLY bought some shelves yesterday. Have most of my boxes unpacked and most of the little bins moved out from the garage. Naturally its filling up fast but I still have a bit of room left. If I run out I can fit another section of 5 shelves next to these. Its hard to see in the pic but I cut a piece of grey melamine out to mount between the shelf poles next to the bench. Figure if nothing else it separates things a bit and creates more "wall" space to hang stuff. Perhaps some shelves to store all the Dewalt batteries and chargers.

Dan
Old 12-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Master Fabricator

I am going to have to get the tote setup going in my shop. I bet that really cleans things up.
Jealous...
Old 12-15-2014, 10:50 AM
Master Fabricator

Yes, those little bins are great for small stuff. They are the shoebox size. I get them at walmart for like $1 or $2 ea. Something stupid cheap. Then get some labels to run through your printer, boom.

Dan
Old 12-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Damn I thought that is inacceptable for me to wait for such periods of eternals*
to get my desired furnitures - right?
Spammer quote of the year
Old 12-22-2014, 10:10 AM
Master Fabricator

Buddy dropped off some aluminum for me sat am. One piece for the bench end panel. I made a cutout for the radio but still need to add some mounting holes and get it powder coated. Im thinking red to match the HF boxes.

I also got all the pieces for my welding table cut and started a little welding on the top.

And whipped up this frame for a butcher block top I scored for free from a guy at work for the wifey. I had to order more gussets to do the top 4 corners. Otherwise it just needs a couple holes drilled to mount the top and some paint. Then of course refinishing the top itself.

Thats probably it until after xmas.

Dan
Old 12-22-2014, 10:32 AM
Master Fabricator

Sweet butcher block top! Is that going in the house?
Old 12-22-2014, 10:34 AM
Master Fabricator

Yep. Its going in our kitchen.

I wanted to make it into a reloading table, but I like the wife for various reasons , so I relented and let her have it for the kitchen.

Dan
Old 01-05-2015, 10:13 AM
Master Fabricator

Got a decent amount of work done over the holiday break.

Finished up the welding table minus feet which are due tomorrow. I ended up borrowing my father in law's 220V Lincoln MIG. SOOOO much faster / easier than trying to TIG the whole thing together. I really need to get my own 220V MIG. Maybe next year.

Finished up the wiring in the fab area for an exhaust fan, more lights for over the welding table, and a ceiling mounted winch for getting the spare wheels up on the shelf under the stairs. Carrying big wheels up a ladder isn't too safe, nor fun.

And got a bit more steel up. They sent the wrong color Z trim for between the grey and white, and the last long panel for the knee wall was damaged in shipment. Replacements are due later this week.

Installed the aluminum top on the last 6' of the workbench and mounted my vise (someday Ill find a nice vintage one to restore)

Made a mounting plate for the hot and cold water spigots under the cabinet. And I might have painted the hot knob red as they only had blue at Lowes.

Dropped the bench end panel off friday to be powder coated. Ill likely grab that later this week.

Dan
Old 01-08-2015, 09:14 AM
Master Fabricator

Feet for the welding table showed up tuesday. I got them installed and managed to right the table with a little help from mr. engine hoist.

Currently in place. Still lots to set up and get organized etc.

I also need to trim the left end of the top, just waiting to borrow a friends plasma cutter.

My missing metal for this area is due tomorrow. Maybe Ill have it all buttoned up by early next week.

Dan
Old 01-08-2015, 03:52 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post
I really need to get my own 220V MIG. Maybe next year.

Dan
I know you might hate this but the TIG machine makes a great stick welder.
I have started using it allot more than my MIG on "shop" projects as it doesn't consume welding wire or gas that is needed for other projects.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a MIG, it's not clean or as easy to squirt weld but it does add another tool to the arsenal.

How bad did that tongue pull down on the end of the table? You going to try flame straightening on that or just ignore it.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:02 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
I know you might hate this but the TIG machine makes a great stick welder.
I have started using it allot more than my MIG on "shop" projects as it doesn't consume welding wire or gas that is needed for other projects.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a MIG, it's not clean or as easy to squirt weld but it does add another tool to the arsenal.

How bad did that tongue pull down on the end of the table? You going to try flame straightening on that or just ignore it.
I should get some rod and try out the stick function. I do have the lead for it.

As for the tongue I had plans to lop it off, I just havent gotten to it yet. But who knows maybe ill see if i can tweak it back flatter.

Dan
Old 01-09-2015, 01:17 AM
Master Fabricator

Using my Syncrowave is by far the best stick machine I have ever used. I dont have allot to compare it to but I really enjoy using it. I bought some 3/32 7014 and it is super easy to use. Easy arc starting and simple clean up.

I think you fall in the "i must have 1/8" 7018" trap around here and that gives me heartburn on lighter projects.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:31 AM
Master Fabricator

Got the bench end panel back from powder on saturday. The color is a near perfect match to the HF boxes.

Yesterday my father in law showed up with a free brake drum for me. Last night I welded the metal I picked up on friday to it and painted it up to use as a stand for my 12" disc sander. I really need to get a needle scaler. It took longer to hammer and chip all the crust off than it did to fabricate the rest of the stand. Ill def have one before I make another one of these. Still debating it I want to fill at least the tube with cement yet. We'll see if it "rings" when running first.

Dan
Old 01-12-2015, 10:46 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Bench turned out great! Why did you mount your fire extinguisher so low on the wall?

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:48 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Bench turned out great! Why did you mount your fire extinguisher so low on the wall?
It was higher than sitting on the floor..... plus there isnt much room around that area to mount it higher.

I have a few others stashed around the shop which I will likely mount at a more appropriate height.

Dan
Old 01-12-2015, 11:40 AM
Master Fabricator

Looks great, you done anything to the disc sander for dust collection?

I added a 90 to the outlet on mine with the intent to dump it in a Freon tank mounted on the stand. Sort of like a air water separator for air line.
But unfortunately that hasn't been completed yet and it just blows the dust at my feet instead of out the side and all over everything.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:43 AM
Master Fabricator

I havent dont anything for dust collection, yet. For years Ive been using this thing on the floor so it hasnt been much of an issue. Perhaps I will look into it now that its on the stand. I like the elbow idea, at least itd be in a "pile".

Dan
Old 01-12-2015, 12:26 PM
Master Fabricator

I used a 2 3/8" weld-el and it fit perfectly so maybe 2 1/4" exhaust elbow might work too.

The problem is the fan inside when it is elevated blows the crap everywhere.
It works to good to not use though!
Old 01-12-2015, 05:00 PM
Master Fabricator

Could you put a little cyclone on the sander to separate the dust and drop it in a bucket/bag?