Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Master Fabricator

Very cool, Congrats on the ceiling, looks great.

I added the piece of white trim to the end walls on mine.....that's as far as I got!

Paint the trailer to match the building?
Old 10-21-2014, 03:54 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullnerd View Post
Very cool, Congrats on the ceiling, looks great.

I added the piece of white trim to the end walls on mine.....that's as far as I got!

Paint the trailer to match the building?
At least you are making progress. Thats never a bad thing.

I likely wont paint it because its all stainless. Id hate to paint it and then have it start peeling and look like crap. I figure if I leave it bare it will always look like that.

Im going to be redoing the doors on it, and removing anything from the outside that isnt stainless and replacing it with stainless (except maybe the door latches, which Ill have powder coated). I think after thats all done it should look pretty decent. If not, F it, I can hardly see it from the house, lol.

Dan
Old 10-22-2014, 07:08 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post
The garage is the emptiest its been since we built 11 years ago. I actually parked a car that didnt require work in there last night for the first time ever.
Awesome! I remember this day well in my shop build as well. I was like, "So this is what 'normal' people do with their attached garage?"

The ceiling looks great. I wasted no time in tearing down the scaffolding I was using when the my ceiling was finished just to have the floor space back. I was so happy not to be pushing that stuff around every time I wanted to do something.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:45 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
Awesome! I remember this day well in my shop build as well. I was like, "So this is what 'normal' people do with their attached garage?"

The ceiling looks great. I wasted no time in tearing down the scaffolding I was using when the my ceiling was finished just to have the floor space back. I was so happy not to be pushing that stuff around every time I wanted to do something.
Hah, exactly. I do still have the scaffold up because I have one more ceiling light to put up, and a wall panel. But then I will definitely be taking it down for the winter as the shop is going to fill up.

Dan
Old 10-22-2014, 08:46 AM
Master Fabricator

Spent about 2 hours cleaning out 4 5-gallon buckets of oily wood chips out of the trailer last night. What a mess.

Getting started

Much better!

Dan
Old 10-22-2014, 08:01 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post
I need the container to store my mowers, lawn stuff etc. I HATE the smell of rotting cut grass on the mower, plus Im allergic to it. So I need that stuff out of the way and not cluttering up my nice shop.

Its a bit ugly, but once I fix up the doors and remove anything thats not stainless it should be pretty decent looking. Plus I really cant see it from the house :-p

Dan
That makes sense and I do like the stainless ..have 3 shipping containers around my place ,2 right beside my house but they kinda fit with rest of junk,I'd move it closer to garage wall I think if it were mine
Old 10-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Master Fabricator

Thus night I painted the next room under the stairs where the parts washer and sink will be. Also installed the FRP board for a back splash for them.

Friday I picked up the second 44" HF box.

Saturday I pressure washed the inside of the trailer. It looks much less like a place youd be cut up into pieces in now. No pics. I also picked up some supplies to redo the doors with. Hoping to get to that this week.

Dan
Old 11-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Master Fabricator

Last thursday I finally ran several cat5 and coax lines around the building. For network, cameras, and a future tv etc.

Friday they came to do the pest resistant blown in insulation in the attic areas of upstairs. They only managed to get it half done as they failed to bring enough insulation. Looks like they will be back later this week to finish up.

Friday I got a new side door built for the trailer. I also had to replace the wood at the bottom of the opening as it was quite rotten. So some new PT at the bottom of the opening and a new 3/4" OSB wood door with a welded up metal angle frame wrapped in tyvek will get it done. I still need to come up with a latch / lock and I plan to sheet the outside likely in metal that matches the building.

Sat am I finally pulled cat5 from the barn to the house and got the wifi going. So nice to finally have that working since my 4G signal hardly works inside the double wall metal building.

Sunday I started welding up the 7.5'x4' ramp for the trailer. Im planning to weld in the last cross piece and the metal mesh for the deck tonight (just picked it up yesterday)

Tossed a couple sheets of 2" foam over the stairwell to keep the cold out. I have plans to make something nicer eventually (hinged, weighted door setup with better insulation) but for now it gets the job done.

Also now have most of the PEX done. Yes, thats a LOT of shut off valves, but I like options.

Connections for the outdoor shower and silcock, as well as indoor H and C spigots for filling buckets, car washing, floor washing etc.

Im running the PEX around the surface of the inner steel except where I had to go behind the stairs. Likely Ill fabricate some sort of guard to go over them eventually. These lines continue through all the "rooms" under the stairs over to where the boiler will be located.

Dan
Old 11-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I love PEX. After years of sweating copper in walls, attics, and crawl spaces, there is just nothing more satisfying than pulling that stuff through like it was wire and only having the endpoints to crimp.

You did go a little crazy on branches and ball valves. I might have laid that out with two branch valves (1ea h & c) at the bottom and place the spigots and silcock inline with the runs going up to the shower. I don't see too many situations where you'd need/want to block just one of those branches and still need the others active.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
I love PEX. After years of sweating copper in walls, attics, and crawl spaces, there is just nothing more satisfying than pulling that stuff through like it was wire and only having the endpoints to crimp.

You did go a little crazy on branches and ball valves. I might have laid that out with two branch valves (1ea h & c) at the bottom and place the spigots and silcock inline with the runs going up to the shower. I don't see too many situations where you'd need/want to block just one of those branches and still need the others active.
Well I wanted the outdoor stuff to be independent of inside, since I may want hot/cold water inside in the winter. That said I could combine the two valves for the outdoor colds, but said F it and just did one for each.

Dan
Old 11-04-2014, 02:10 PM

I forget about that freezing pipes thing. I've never had to deal with that where I live. Is that what the silcock is for? For draining the water from the outdoor plumbing? If so, how do you drain the hot side? From the indoor spigot?
Old 11-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Master Fabricator

The shower has a port on the bottom I can pull to remove most of the water from it, at least to inside of the building. If I recall I slightly sloped the lines coming inside for that reason.

Edit: and the silcock extends to just inside the inside metal, so it too will drain back into the insulated area.

Dan

Last edited by juicedz4; 11-04-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:26 AM
Master Fabricator

Been a while since Ive had time to do much in the shop since Ive been trying to get everything ready for winter and I had to do a little maintenance on the wife's Audi.

Finished up the ramp for the trailer. Still need to get it coated, but until spring its just going to have to wait.

I finally got the trailer buttoned up enough for winter. Still working out what Im going to wrap the doors in so for now Tyvek will have to get it done. I had to replace a lot of the floor at the very back of it. Years of use and abuse cracked the aluminum floor right by the door and water got in and rotted the sub floor. 3 layers of PT 2x10s fixed that up.

Added a deadbolt to the side door.

And FINALLY got started on the boiler system. So far I have it mounted, the intake and exhaust done, and the copper for the floor side dry fit.

Today I need to pick up some more parts for the domestic side of the boiler. With any luck I should have it all plumbed up this week!

Dan
Old 11-26-2014, 09:29 AM
Master Fabricator

Nearly finished with the dry fit of the boiler plumbing. Just need to make some drains for the PRV's and the condensation drain etc. And of course the gas line. I also got the t-stat wired up and figured out the wiring. Just need to pick up a couple things for that along with the gas lines today.

And a shot of the current state of the shop. I really need to pick up.....

Dan
Old 11-26-2014, 02:09 PM
Master Fabricator

All very nice and neat as usual,don't ye put mixing/temp control valves on UFH manifolds?..will the wife's motor run again?lol
Old 11-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Master Fabricator

The plumbing looks great! Nice, clean work.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:49 PM
Master Fabricator

The layout didnt call for a mixing valve so I didnt install one.

Thanks Graham.

They finally came back last wed and finished the blown-in insulation upstairs.

This weekend I connected the water to the house and finished up the sink drain so I now have running water, cold anyway. Managed to have zero leaks in the PEX.

I soldered up all the copper on the boiler and finished crimping the PEX and added the drains etc. What a pile of spaghetti. So far Ive only had one soldered joint leak and a handful of NPT joints. I taped the threaded joints (and from what Im reading likely used the wrong tape on the large size pipes) so Im going to pull them all apart tonight and use some good paste instead. Hopefully that will solve the issues.

Also tested the wiring. Everything is working as expected. I was surprised to see the floor is still at 46 degrees even after quite a few cold days and nights.

Anyway, this is basically the finished boiler setup.

Dan
Old 12-01-2014, 03:18 PM

Looks very clean Dan. Nice work.

That panorama shot of the shop really shows off the square footage. I'd kill to have that kind of room to work. Of course my wife and kids would probably fill it with stuff faster than I could build it.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Master Fabricator

Fixed up all the leaks last week sometime.

Yesterday around 11am the propane guy showed up with two 100 gal tanks, got them installed and the boiler fired up by noon.

Around 9pm I finally had this.

Then I spent some time starting to set up my "research" area. I will be mounting the monitor on the wall and hiding the cables but I still need a bracket.

Dan
Old 12-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Master Fabricator

You will create magic once you get this thing finished.

Your plumbing looks so much better than a "plumbers" work. Plumbing layout is as much a visual art as it is a engineering challenge.