Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Benders and Bending

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Old 09-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Master Fabricator

Question Another Bender Stand Build & Question

I finally got a tube bender (JD2 model 3). I started planning and mock up of the stand, it is 24" x 36" made out of 2x2 grew steel. The thing is 24" x 36" seems like a huge footprint. I am going to drive it with the HF air/hydraulic jack. What do you guys think, could I cut the size down to 24" x 24"?

I plan on puting another tube down the center and then the vertical tube and mount in the middle of the stand. Vertical tube will be around 40" tall with the mounting plate centered on the 2x2 tubing.

Last edited by AVTECH; 09-18-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Master Fabricator

Big is not necessarily bad.
However I would think about the weight of everything and definitely the tube when you have it all built. You may need to make things off center to center the weight so that it don't tip over. Just a thought.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Big is not necessarily bad.
However I would think about the weight of everything and definitely the tube when you have it all built. You may need to make things off center to center the weight so that it don't tip over. Just a thought.
Thanks for the reply entropy! So you think I should leave it the 24x36 and then off center the vertical tube? That would make sence, I will also put in at least one brace going from the oppostie side. I am thinking about using a reciever hitch to mount the vertical tube into so I can store this thing easier.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Master Fabricator

I just relized that if I put a brace on this thing I wont be able to take it apart for storage, unless the brace is removable to.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTECH View Post
Thanks for the reply entropy! So you think I should leave it the 24x36 and then off center the vertical tube? That would make sence, I will also put in at least one brace going from the oppostie side. I am thinking about using a reciever hitch to mount the vertical tube into so I can store this thing easier.
Size is up to you but... there is always the paraphernalia that we each want when we are bending and if that frame lets you set it right next to the bender
If you use a receiver tube (or=)... Weld a 1/2" nut over the pin hole and (do not drill for the pin in the tube) then you can use a 1/2" bolt to lock the tube in place so it ain't wiggling every time the weight center shifts at the tube is bent...

Old 09-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Size is up to you but... there is always the paraphernalia that we each want when we are bending and if that frame lets you set it right next to the bender
If you use a receiver tube (or=)... Weld a 1/2" nut over the pin hole and (do not drill for the pin in the tube) then you can use a 1/2" bolt to lock the tube in place so it ain't wiggling every time the weight center shifts at the tube is bent...
Thanks again entropy, I think I will go with this size and the reciever tube so I can take it apart when not using it. I am working in a one car garage at an apartment that is also my storage unit, so I need as much space as possible.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Master Fabricator

I'm not really sure looking at what your doing why you would make a rectangle as there seems and its only my opinion that besides taking up a lot of space why make it a rectangle. I have watched alot of different bender mods and the following to me is so simple it borders on bein stupid why the bender builders don't offer it so check out what Art did http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8169

Dave
Old 09-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Fabricator

Art's stand build is very clean.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Master Fabricator

another guy posted a similar build using an engine stand on Arts page. and I don't want to sound like here that I am putting down this design but not sure what the point is to having the big oblong frame when actual mounting can be done on a 4x5 or so flat plate

Dave
Old 09-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Master Fabricator

Lightbulb Donino2205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino2205 View Post
I'm not really sure looking at what your doing why you would make a rectangle as there seems and its only my opinion that besides taking up a lot of space why make it a rectangle. I have watched alot of different bender mods and the following to me is so simple it borders on bein stupid why the bender builders don't offer it so check out what Art did http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8169

Dave
Yes, I have looked at Arts stand and like it. I was just thinking that with the rectangle design I could have some storage space below for lube and etc....
But I also need to be able to disassemble it when I am not using it so where do I store all the stuff that I put on that bottom shelf. You got me thinking, thanks for the input.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Fabricator

When building a stand the most important thing to remember is that you dont want the stand to get in the way when bending tubing. The easiest way to do this is by shooting a piece straight up and mounting the bender to it. That way when doing multiple bends you wont get hung up. I dont really see where you are going with that... are you planning on mounting the bender on a table top type cart?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanks for the advice Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
When building a stand the most important thing to remember is that you dont want the stand to get in the way when bending tubing. The easiest way to do this is by shooting a piece straight up and mounting the bender to it. That way when doing multiple bends you wont get hung up. I dont really see where you are going with that... are you planning on mounting the bender on a table top type cart?
My plan was to run another 2x2 down the center of the rectangle and then in the center of that 2x2 going striaght up about 42" to mount the bender to. I am thinking of also using a reciever section welded to the center tube to mount the 42" tall tube so that it can be taken apart. The reason I was thinking of the rectangle design rather than going with a design such as yours was so that I had a shelf below the bender to store extra dies, lube, and other tools that will be needed while bending. That was the original idea any way. Know I am thinking of maybe going for something closer to your simple design. I dont know, I am off for the next couple of days so we will see how things turn out. I will post more pictures after I decide what I am goint to do. Thanks again for the input.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTECH View Post
My plan was to run another 2x2 down the center of the rectangle and then in the center of that 2x2 going striaght up about 42" to mount the bender to. I am thinking of also using a reciever section welded to the center tube to mount the 42" tall tube so that it can be taken apart. The reason I was thinking of the rectangle design rather than going with a design such as yours was so that I had a shelf below the bender to store extra dies, lube, and other tools that will be needed while bending. That was the original idea any way. Know I am thinking of maybe going for something closer to your simple design. I dont know, I am off for the next couple of days so we will see how things turn out. I will post more pictures after I decide what I am goint to do. Thanks again for the input.
bear in mind here and I believe is why people are questioning the rectangle design is the point that most benders mount in the first place is an area that is basically 3 x 5 so whith that in mind looking at the rectangle it makes no sense, and as far as for storage you would not need the rectangle to have die storage under the bender

Dave
Old 09-23-2010, 06:06 AM
Fabricator

The leg under the die is longer on mine to offset the weight of the die itself. You may not want to put that vertical 2x2 piece directly in the middle. Also make sure that the bender sits perfectly level when you are done.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Master Fabricator

What I learned

Originally I just went to the shop and started cutting steel for my bender stand. I had looked at all the examples I could find on the net and totally missed the point of the original design of the bender stand.
After the stand was welded up and the bender bolted up I noticed some flaws.. it was terribly unbalanced, took up entirely too much room, and might interfere with bending complex parts.

So after looking at it the easy fix was to move the upright to the middle of the 24 X 36 base (well offset 2") and be done.

I have done some long main hoops and the stabillity is awesome, haven't had any interference issues and the bender is pretty much the size of the base so it does'nt waste any room. The other thing I liked was I could mount a 1/2" plate to the bottom of the column and use it manually if I needed to.

I have it all most done with wheels, leverers and handle but don't have any pix. Here are some designs of the two showing the basics.
It's for a JD2 Model 32 bender w/harbor freight air/over if that matters

the original thread I started
http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ighlight=stand

original design

followed by the current.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bender cart.jpg
Views:	5585
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	6829   Click image for larger version

Name:	bender cart v2.jpg
Views:	3837
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	6830  
Old 09-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Master Fabricator

[quote=CarterKraft;99678]Originally I just went to the shop and started cutting steel for my bender stand. I had looked at all the examples I could find on the net and totally missed the point of the original design of the bender stand.
After the stand was welded up and the bender bolted up I noticed some flaws.. it was terribly unbalanced, took up entirely too much room, and might interfere with bending complex parts.

So after looking at it the easy fix was to move the upright to the middle of the 24 X 36 base (well offset 2") and be done.

I have done some long main hoops and the stabillity is awesome, haven't had any interference issues and the bender is pretty much the size of the base so it does'nt waste any room. The other thing I liked was I could mount a 1/2" plate to the bottom of the column and use it manually if I needed to.

I have it all most done with wheels, leverers and handle but don't have any pix. Here are some designs of the two showing the basics.
It's for a JD2 Model 32 bender w/harbor freight air/over if that matters

Cartercraft,
Your design was where I got my original idea. After listening to all the good advice recieved through this thread I have decided to go Art's route, well close.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Master Fabricator

Some progress this morning.

Well I have made some progress this morning. The design has tottally changed after listening to advice in this thread. Keep it coming!
This is what I got so far:
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I still need to put the braces on the side of the mounting plate and get a different bolt for the reciever. I am also going to get some wheels and put levelers on it to both adjust for uneven ground and hold it in place.
What do you guys think so far?

Last edited by AVTECH; 09-23-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Master Fabricator

I like it...

I am not a fan of the one leg out front design, this thing with a 180 5.5 CLr die and air jack is a heavy mutha. Add 12' of tube sticking out of one side that once the bending starts seems to fall off the rolling stand while your picking your nose and that baby can hit the ground, hopefully not your foot. I am kind biased as I don't have to really worry about room.

My solution would be to add a "T" to the front leg and 2 wheels insead of one, just my
$.02 though.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Master Fabricator

Well I got a little bit more done this afternoon. Installed the gussets for the mounting pad.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Master Fabricator

Well, at least it will hold the bender.

[IMG][/IMG]

Know I just have to get the ram mounted and put some wheels and leveler on it and I can start bending?