Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > UTV/Buggy Fabrication

UTV/Buggy Fabrication For all those doing your own fabrication on the Yamaha Rhino and other UTV's

UTV/Buggy Fabrication For all those doing your own fabrication on the Yamaha Rhino and other UTV's

Old 06-19-2016, 08:21 PM
Junior Fabricator

V8 4WD Buggy / Truck with CVT Clutch

Hello all!

I'm seeking advice on a 4-wheel drivetrain setup.

Motor: V8, 500 HP / 500 lb-ft, Mid-Engine

Transmission: Six (6) CVT Clutches, From Modern Snowmobile, shafts connected by chain and sprockets (chain size and # of chains tbd)

Reverse Gearbox: http://roadstercycle.com/Reverse%20g...otorcycles.htm
(Two (2) in parallel, or equal)

Vehicle Weight: 2,000 lbs

Tire Size: 40 inch

Suspension: Front & Back A-Arm, 30 inches of travel

Chassis: 2 inch DOM Tube Frame

Seats: Three (3) Seater with Mid Driving Position

Goal: To compete in races such as King of Hammers, rock crawling, sand dunes and trails

See diagram for general arrangement. The drawing only shows one side of the drivetrain, both sides would be identical. Please note the drawing is not dimensionally accurate.

I currently have a long travel sand rail, 1,000 lbs, 180 hp snowmobile motor and CVT clutch, 25 inches of suspension travel that performs excellent and want go to a more rounded vehicle.

My biggest question is, can a typical LS V8 have a power take off on both sides of the motor?

Looking for any and all comments.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Last edited by Bada; 06-19-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:09 PM
Master Fabricator

What size chain are you thinking that can handle the torque and rpm of the V8?
Old 06-19-2016, 10:14 PM
Master Fabricator

Have you thought of using an LS4 and the automatic trans. that bolts to it, mounted north/south, then cv shafts to diffs?
Old 06-19-2016, 10:17 PM
Master Fabricator

Where ya' from Bada?
Old 06-19-2016, 10:28 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaner View Post
What size chain are you thinking that can handle the torque and rpm of the V8?
I have yet to dig into options for chains larger then #50. I am currently running one (1) #50 chain (11 tooth small / 81 tooth large sprockets) with 180 hp (100 lb-ft?) at 8,500 rpm without issue. Figured worst case two (2) #50 chains per tire with four (4) chains per shaft would suffice.

Last edited by Bada; 06-19-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:36 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaner View Post
Have you thought of using an LS4 and the automatic trans. that bolts to it, mounted north/south, then cv shafts to diffs?
Yes, I've considered conventional drive train setups as you have mentioned but keep coming back to a CVT clutch setup for weight and simplicity. Shifting RPM and added weight from differentials seems counter productive for this type of vehicle. But of course I'm the one seeking advice.....
Old 06-19-2016, 10:37 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullnerd View Post
Where ya' from Bada?
Good Ol' Michigan.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:45 AM
Master Fabricator

The triple Belt CV Drive is going to have 3 slightly different belt lengths and they will fight each other when transmitting power.
You are putting a gearbox in anyway why not use something like a Powerglide and then the chain final drive? They are small light and will take way more then 500HP...

E

Old 06-20-2016, 06:59 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
The triple Belt CV Drive is going to have 3 slightly different belt lengths and they will fight each other when transmitting power.
You are putting a gearbox in anyway why not use something like a Powerglide and then the chain final drive? They are small light and will take way more then 500HP...

E
Can't argue with that.. I'm gana work the design some more. Thanks for the comments!
Old 06-20-2016, 09:09 PM
Junior Fabricator

Here goes round 2 and 3.

Thoughts on this? Highest torque on driveline is when tires are in the air at full spin and come into contact with ground. The CVT belts / clutch can slip dissipating this immense torque as opposed to a solid driveline eating all the pressure and breaking the weakest link.

entropy, thanks for the input. What are your thoughts now?

Rev 1 of CVT Clutch Set-Up:

Chain Variation with Conventional Transmission:

Comments?

Thanks again guys!
Old 06-20-2016, 11:22 PM
Master Fabricator

I think a belt drive like a motorcycle would be less problematic. Quieter, cooler, last longer, etc. I'm betting you would need at least double 60H chain. Prolly O-ring chain, pricey.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:33 PM
Master Fabricator

How about a variable speed drive out of an old combine. They are like a giant snowmobile cvt except they are manually controlled, clutch like a car. They are made to handle the torque. Used ones are inexpensive.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:27 AM
Master Fabricator

The next question is what is the wheel base?
I’ll guess based on the 500HP & 40”tire stipulation that it will be a minimum of 110” and if that is true then you are looking at chain inertia/whip; not a big issue until you drop into reverse... A ‘Gilmer Belt Drive’ as mentioned would be a better design but still there is reverse.
Transverse mounting the engine is going to be W I D E in the chassis.

So, I get the IFS/IRS but it seems to me that you are going to have difficulty packaging any of the design concepts thus far. I would consider a backbone design rather then the more common perimeter chassis. This design would create a high strength tunnel or back bone through the center of the chassis that would mount the Final Drive and the all the other drive + engine.
Tossing out another option if you used a FtWD Transaxle on the back of the engine you could likely have a more compact package...
500HP and 4Deez is a parts snapping combination, and "I" would demand a selectable differential in the front... makes 'play' driving so much more fun... IMO!

Oh and things have been driven off the front of the crank BUT all of the power transmission is through the little key that orients the balancer. I will recommend that you NOT try to drive the car with it.

E