Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Benders and Bending

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Old 05-20-2016, 11:43 AM
Junior Fabricator

Bending Pricing???

Hi guys, I'm new here and really don't know if it's the right place to post this question, I hope yes, so here I go

I'd like to know how do you guys quote/give a price for a bending tube request?

Of course it could be a single 90 bend or a complete roll cage, in this particular case I'm more interested to know how to calculate for a roll cage where is much more labor involved, I'm mean, there is not only the bending tube process if not the previous measurements, calculate how much tube you'll need, maybe to get apart some parts of the vehicle to get access for the tube work and then reinstall them etc etc...

I fortunately last year got the Bend-Tech 7x software what's a real good tool to make this kind of projects/process easier, accurate and to make the final product looks really good and pro, OK if you know how to use it , I still have a lot to learn about the use of this software, but this is another story.

I mean, knowing hot to use perfectly the software will reduce your time consuming in the drawings and you'll feel sure that what you see in the screen is what you'll really see in the final product, which is not my personal case yet, but I have no problem spending more time at the software to finally get a good product if this is my way at this moment.

So I'd like to know an average and what do you guys take in count to quote for example a roll cage for a jeep or a sammy

Your opinions and advice are very welcome

El Vasco
Old 05-20-2016, 08:53 PM
Junior Fabricator

Hi guys any suggestion yet??? Would be nice to hear some advice, procedure you guys use/follow to quote this kind of work.

Thanks and good friday night!!!
Old 05-20-2016, 11:53 PM
Master Fabricator

Personally I price everything different. A price for each bend. A price for each setup of the bender, like changing dies. A price for each notch and setting up the notcher. A price for welding each joint. Instead of designing a project and trying to quote it as a whole by looking at it , each foot of material and each process or step to form it has a price. Bend Tech has a pricing module built in that you can set up to do this for you and print a quote. For example I have it set for five dollars per notch. It counts the notches for me and gives a total for all the notches.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:02 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Andy are you doing regular fabrication work lately? Miss seeing your work on here.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:05 AM
Junior Fabricator

Thanks ScootecK this is a good way to go and well this is what I needed to hear a point to get started and yes the Bend Tech is a really good tool, only I need to get more use of it to get more out of it, hope to get to that point some day, thanks again!!!
Old 05-22-2016, 10:57 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Andy are you doing regular fabrication work lately? Miss seeing your work on here.
I haven't been building much lately. Doing the family thing and day job thing. Not much time. I do not grab the camera like I used to when I am making stuff. Yesterday I made some stuff for the day job. I do a lot of that. Simple solutions to big problems at work. I wish they would build me a truck already to do this stuff at work. Larger heavier stuff that is tough to manage at home. Still have big dreams. They are slow coming since I started a family
Old 05-23-2016, 07:39 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooteK View Post
I haven't been building much lately. Doing the family thing and day job thing. Not much time.
Me too! Wouldn't trade it for anything, but having a family takes a huge bite out of time available to spend in the shop.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:40 AM
Master Fabricator

Good comments on pricing, BTW. I should do it that way instead of trying to quote a whole job as time & materials.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:57 PM
Master Fabricator

I asked a racing buddys' friend that has a medium size shop. He told me $C20.00 per bend. Red Deer, Alberta, Canada.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:22 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Andy thanks for the reply. Family has a way of changing things. It was definitely a factor for Tube Bandit.

The BT pricing module is an awesome tool. You also have to factor in number of parts/replicates, likelihood of scrap, the type of equipment you have, etc. Then decide if you want to bake some flat margin into every job to account for that or add job-specific factors or both. For example, a single plane bent part should be priced lower than a multi-plane bent part. A high tolerance/accuracy need should be priced more than a part where there's more wiggle room. Sharper notches are harder than 90 degree notches. Etc.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:20 PM
Junior Fabricator

Good night guys and thanks all you for your comments and suggestion, all of them are very useful to me.
It's nice to know that everywhere on the globe the family seems to be the end of our time to do what we like the most... lol... speaking about our passion for the metal fabrication of course, or at least take much of the time we used to spend at the shop, anyway family is a very important part in our lives, so let's try to get a middle point between both lol
By the way, The Bandit, I though I remember how I got to this forum some time ago, I was searching some info about tube benders and well google sent me around here and since that I was reading some interesting post here so I decided to sign in to get a more fluid contact with all you guys.
Really thank all you, it's very nice to get support from so far away of my place... for that!!!

El Vasco