Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Old 04-17-2016, 05:30 PM
Fabricator

Ultra4 Europe Build

Hey Guys,

Been a long time lurker on here and figured I'd post up my current project. I picked up a 1992 LJ70 Landcruiser. Plan is to build it up to compete in the 2017 Ultra4 Europe series, Modified Class.

The build will go along the lines of:
1. Chop the rear end into a tray back
2. 3UZFE 4.3 Lexus V8
3. 14" Coil overs
4. Hydro assist steering.
5. Roll cage and and all the safety bits required to compete.

So this is the truck the day I took delivery, a little rough to say the least...

I gave it a bit of love with the jet wash so ti didn't look quite so sad.

Next mission was to strip the interior and get the old 2.4TD lump out.

After that I rebuilt the R150F Gearbox and T/Case.

After that I was ready to bolt up the 3UZ to the R150F

Then I fab'd up a set of gearbox mounts and ending mounts.

After that I mocked up the engine and Gearbox in place and started on the chassis side of the mounts

Despite how the mounts look the motor sits centre of the vehicle. My next mission is to fab up gussets for the chassis side of the mounts. I'll be doing this with 3mm steel plate. I was thinking two gusset on the lower side of the mounts angles out at 45'. What do you guys think, would that be strong enough or is it overkill?
Old 04-17-2016, 06:46 PM
Master Fabricator

Looking good Thomo,that's a hollow chassis section AFAIK so in would say gusset and maby even cap them,especially for U4!!!what are your plans re axles?70's are becoming a rare sight these days
Old 04-17-2016, 09:06 PM
Designer & Builder

I like it, you guy have some cool comps over there. I'm in touch with a couple of guys in the UK that compete.
I would have used an A340 instead of the manual, but then again I'm biased.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:37 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 Vortec View Post
Looking good Thomo,that's a hollow chassis section AFAIK so in would say gusset and maby even cap them,especially for U4!!!what are your plans re axles?70's are becoming a rare sight these days
Thanks 350Vortec. What do you mean by cap? I was thinking I probably should have welded a section of plate on the chassis rails before welding the engine mounts on, but I only thought about that after I welded the tubes on. Though, I guess if it needs doing now would be the time...

Axle wise I'll be sourcing a set of Nissan Y61 Axles, they seem to be the axle of choice for the UK and European guys.

@R.DesJardin I figured because it's not exactly as high HP as what lot of the other guys are running the manual might help make up for that. I may regret that later down the line. When you say A340 are you referring to the stock Lexus LS400 box?

This is my fist build so I'll be firing loads more questions onto the forum over the next few months.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:14 AM
Designer & Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomo View Post

@R.DesJardin I figured because it's not exactly as high HP as what lot of the other guys are running the manual might help make up for that. I may regret that later down the line. When you say A340 are you referring to the stock Lexus LS400 box?

This is my fist build so I'll be firing loads more questions onto the forum over the next few months.
Yes, the A340 that was in the Lexus 400 series cars.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:57 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
I was thinking I probably should have welded a section of plate on the chassis rails before welding the engine mounts on
I would definitely do that! I have put a 3Liter V6 in a Samurai and doubled all the chassis mounts. I forgot 1, the Panhard bar mount. 2nd race I drove, it came out of the chassis.... lesson learned...
Old 04-21-2016, 04:48 PM
Master Fabricator

Basically horizontal triangle piece top and bottom attaching chassis rail horizontals to your mount,it will flex otherwise ,im a Patrol fan,great axles for sure
Old 05-18-2016, 03:40 PM
Fabricator

So progress has been super slow. I had a steering shimmy of sorts to chase down on my 80 series Landcruiser which took a couple of weekends to resolve and then a short break away to appease the wife. Like they say happy wife, happy life. Right...

Anyway I decided to cut out the mounts I made up for engine and plate the chassis rails. I'll be kicking myself own the line if the mounts fail. But first I decided to fab up a welding trolley. I recently invested in a MIG set and soon became frustrated with hauling that and the TIG set around my workshop.

Anyway, onto the chassis plating. So a bit of work with the plasma cutter and a drill I came up with this:

Then proceeded to TIG weld it in place, which was somewhat awkward with no where to rest my hand so not the neatest TIG work I have done.

I haven't done the other rail yet, thats this coming weekends mission. I am thinking the MIG may be the easier choice from a weld position point of view, what do you guys think?
Old 05-18-2016, 09:28 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice cart.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:14 AM
Master Fabricator

Good work Thomo,forget TIG for this work IMO,not necessary at all
Old 05-22-2016, 04:29 PM
Fabricator

Ok so today was a very productive day. I had a mate lend a hand today. While I was faffing about with the engine mounts he removed the rear axle and cut most of the back half of the body off...

I fishplated the other chassis rail and I confess I MIG'd it. Which I sort of think in hindsight maybe I should have stuck with the TIG but is was quick. I had the volts turned up pretty high and felt I achieved decent penetration. Time will tell I guess...

From some reading I did on the forum I realised I should avoid Vertical welds when fish plating. Also this time I went with bigger holes for more weld.

Then went onto weld up the mounts, TIG'd these on my bench...

Engine getting comfortable.

Mate hard at work.

Chop Chop yo!
Old 05-23-2016, 06:53 AM
Master Fabricator

Looks very good so far cant wait to see more progress,
What are the bushes of that you've used to mount the engine please?
Adam
Old 05-23-2016, 10:30 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gardiner View Post
Looks very good so far cant wait to see more progress,
What are the bushes of that you've used to mount the engine please?
Adam
Hey Adam,

Thanks, progress is painstakingly slow at the moment but I'm getting there slowly.

Bush wise I am using Powerflex Bushes - P/N:PF99-112P

I had a few sets of sleeves machined for these bushes. From what the manufacturers have told me they seem a popular choice for engine mounts. I have used the same for my gearbox mounts as well.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:29 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:29 AM
Master Fabricator

Great work Thomo,Mig is fine don't worry,I cut a 70 down a while back,challenge type build,what plans for rear of cab?
Old 05-24-2016, 03:56 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 Vortec View Post
Great work Thomo,Mig is fine don't worry,I cut a 70 down a while back,challenge type build,what plans for rear of cab?
Thanks

Plan with the rear is to build a tubular frame of sorts to mount the Radiator, Fuel cell, spare wheel and somewhere to keep recovery gear.

I had a play around in bend tech and this is loosely based on the cruisers dimensions and is a rough outline of what I am shooting for:
Side View

Old 05-29-2016, 01:50 PM
Master Fabricator

Read well the ultra4 regulations before start building. I believe they require a 1 piece tube along the door. See red line in pic...
I'm also thinking of competing the euro ultra4. Maybe modified or legends class. My cage is also build as you drew it (almost :) ). A tube along the front window. Last week I was at the king of France race and talked with some participants I know and they made the remark my cage would probably not pass technical inspection due this issue...

Last edited by Peter H; 05-29-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:14 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter H View Post
Read well the ultra4 regulations before start building. I believe they require a 1 piece tube along the door. See red line in pic...
I'm also thinking of competing the euro ultra4. Maybe modified or legends class. My cage is also build as you drew it (almost :) ). A tube along the front window. Last week I was at the king of France race and talked with some participants I know and they made the remark my cage would probably not pass technical inspection due this issue...

Hey Peter,

Thanks for the heads up. The rules don't seem to be explicitly clear with regards to the cage. My understanding was that the guys who have built vehicles that are both MSA and Ultra4 compliant have the A-Pillar Hoop. But I know that the MSA and Ultra4 Europe are no longer affiliated so I need to do some digging on the rules. I am not particularly fussed about MSA compliance but if I could be both MSA and Ultra4 complaint that would be cool. From looking at pictures form King of France it does seem like a lot of the competitors cages were the way you marked up my design.

In the roll cage section the only reference to a door bar or the orientation of any of the bars is in rule 7.10 which states:
"All vehicles, including those with stock steel doors, must have at least one side bar on each side of vehicle that will protect occupants from side impact. The side bars must be of the same tubing material and dimensions as the main frame of the roll cage. The sidebars should be as close to parallel to the ground as possible, must be located to provide maximum protection to the occupants, and must be securely welded to the front and rear hoops of the roll cage. The location of the side bars must not cause difficulty in entering or exiting the vehicle."

I have emailed queries to the tech director of Ultra4 Europe before and he has been pretty good and responding so I'll be sure to touch base with him on this before I start with the cage.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:23 PM
Fabricator

I made some decent progress this weekend. I finished up gusseting the engine mounts and my mate finished cutting just about everything goff of the back of the chassis.

Next mission is to change the cam belt, install a new water pump and replace all of the idler pulleys.

I also managed to source a set of Y61 axles for a great price so I should have these before next weekend.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:21 PM
Master Fabricator

Looking great Thomo,I think once you are keeping the majority of the chassis then regs are a little different/easier..U4 is Defo easier than MSA IMO,more cross bracing though regardless but looking good