Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > UTV/Buggy Fabrication

UTV/Buggy Fabrication For all those doing your own fabrication on the Yamaha Rhino and other UTV's

UTV/Buggy Fabrication For all those doing your own fabrication on the Yamaha Rhino and other UTV's

Old 07-20-2015, 01:29 AM
Junior Fabricator

First buggy build

I am new to metal fab, but very quick learner. I have been looking at several different buggy plans. I am interested in the badland buggy st2ng. Has anybody have input on this. I want something thats going to be challenging but doable for a rookie. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-24-2015, 11:01 PM
Junior Fabricator

How about some advice on where to find donor bikes for these buggy builds?
Old 07-25-2015, 01:22 AM
Master Fabricator

Any "from scratch" build is a really big project. What ever you think your budget will be I would likely double it. Same goes for time. That said starting with a set of plans is a really good way to get started. Do your best to stick to your plans, at least for the first build, you'll have a better chance for success. As for the engine, find a basically complete AND running wreck. This way you'll have all of the wiring and with it running in the bike it will be easier to swap and get running in the buggy. The frame and likely a lot of the fabrication will seem to go really fast but the time is in the details, wiring, fuel system, brake system, etc...

Good luck and post your progress, you'll get a lot of helpful tips and advice from the good people on this forum.

Jaysin
Old 09-08-2015, 06:38 AM
Fabricator

I built the Edge Barracuda over a period of about 4 1/2 years. It was my first build and it was a hell of an experience. I learned a ton!

You have to go into it knowing that it will take up a lot of your time. I took longer than most due to expense more than not having time to work on it. There were times when I didn't even want to look at it so I'd step away for a few months and save money for parts and then hit it hard again.

If you aren't a machinist then it will get expensive to buy parts that you cannot make on your own. I recommend finding build threads of any buggy you are interested in and study them so you know what you are getting into.

I figured I could build it for $8-9K. I got laughed at. $14K later and now I know why people were laughing.

I bought my 2004 GSX-R1000 on ebay for $1100. If you buy the motor without the bike make sure you get the harness, ECM, and airbox. The header may or may not be a bonus. The 2004 came with the header, but it was titanium and I couldn't weld it anyway so I fabricated my own.

I would also look for mini projects that people have given up on. There are people that start and realize they bit off more than they could chew and want to walk away so you might score some components for a deal.