Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > UTV/Buggy Fabrication

UTV/Buggy Fabrication For all those doing your own fabrication on the Yamaha Rhino and other UTV's

UTV/Buggy Fabrication For all those doing your own fabrication on the Yamaha Rhino and other UTV's

Old 06-13-2014, 04:08 AM
Fabricator

Crash!

Well, that didn't last long! Always wear your helmet. Mine saved my life today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocL...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-13-2014, 09:33 AM
Fabricator

Tough crash! Sorry to see all the damage but glad that you are OK. Wearing safety gear is always a good decision.

Joanne
Old 06-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Ah man, that sucks! Glad you are okay. That is/was such a sweet buggy. Is a 2.0 in your future?

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.

Last edited by TheBandit; 06-13-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Ah man, that sucks! Glad you are okay. That is/was such a sweet buggy. Is a 2.0 in your future?
I need to get it off the trailer. I won't know how bad it is until I peel off the scrapped parts and make some measurements, but I'm in no mood to look at it right now.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:58 PM
Master Fabricator

Having been upside down in a race car I believe in safety equipment. Look at full containment seats. If I was jumping or anything like that I would be wearing arm restraints also...Safety equipment is cheap compared to medical bills
Old 06-17-2014, 02:09 PM

Can you point to some examples of arm restraints? What do you mean by "full containment seats"?

Old 06-17-2014, 05:30 PM
Master Fabricator

Here are arm restraints:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Simpso...ints,1063.html

The cuff goes around your arm, below your elbow, and the strap has a loop on the end the gets clipped into the 5 (or 6) point harness. They go a long way toward keeping your arms in an open cockpit car. Most firesuit manufacturers will sew a set of D-rings in each arm of the suit so you can use a different style without the cuff to wrap around your arm.

Arm restraints used to be a requirement that was very strictly enforced by all open wheel sanctioning bodies. Now I'm seeing fewer and fewer guys that wear them.

A "full containment" seat has a large headrest that is connected to the shoulder supports that keeps your head aligned with the rest of your body to prevent injury in side impacts. The seat that shows up in my sprint car build thread is an example...I bought a kit from ButlerBuilt to convert an older seat to this style.

The combination of better seats and the HANS device have done a lot to prevent injury in the past few years. You don't see a lot of top level short track racers without this equipment, and it has become required by the rules in a lot of cases.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:57 PM

Very cool Graham, thanks for the info. I am a safety nut so it's neat to read up on this stuff. Some days before work when I say goodbye to my little boy and baby daughter, the thought that I could be taken away by a simple accident scares the crap out of me. And so when I consider doing the more dangerous (and often fun as hell) stuff I used to do or want to do with my car or future offroad projects, the first thought in my mind now is how will I keep myself and my kids safe.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:00 PM
Master Fabricator

This is the seat that I run. http://www.outlawraceparts.com/produ...r-1532-18.html
Old 06-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
Here are arm restraints:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Simpso...ints,1063.html

The cuff goes around your arm, below your elbow, and the strap has a loop on the end the gets clipped into the 5 (or 6) point harness. They go a long way toward keeping your arms in an open cockpit car. Most firesuit manufacturers will sew a set of D-rings in each arm of the suit so you can use a different style without the cuff to wrap around your arm.

Arm restraints used to be a requirement that was very strictly enforced by all open wheel sanctioning bodies. Now I'm seeing fewer and fewer guys that wear them.

A "full containment" seat has a large headrest that is connected to the shoulder supports that keeps your head aligned with the rest of your body to prevent injury in side impacts. The seat that shows up in my sprint car build thread is an example...I bought a kit from ButlerBuilt to convert an older seat to this style.

The combination of better seats and the HANS device have done a lot to prevent injury in the past few years. You don't see a lot of top level short track racers without this equipment, and it has become required by the rules in a lot of cases.
I wear the NexGen instead of the Hans. I researched and it seemed like the dirt track guys that got hurt with any of the devices it was the Hans.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Fabricator

Finally got started on the rebuild. The damage looked worse than it was. Need to rebuild lower a-arms, replace 1 CV joint, replace center drive mounting plates, and rebuild upper roll bar (done). Maybe $300 total depending on cost of new heim joints.

Before:

After:
Added down pillar supports on the upper roll bar.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:35 AM
Junior Fabricator

I have a buggy Barracuda was also an accident, I then also everyone has stepped up, set upright support.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-NT8...6O2pWIYDdNsoDQ
Old 09-08-2015, 07:48 AM
Fabricator

Been a while since I checked in. Made some progress. Buggy is rolling again. All that I lack is installing the axles, but then I got sidetracked with this:

Picked it up for a steal! Thought I would restore it and flip it for some cash. Then I started liking it so now I'm thinking about keeping it for the two seats (kids) and reverse that my mini lacks.

Tore it down and painted it:

The mini now:

Looks like I'll be selling it. I can't keep both since I don't have room and I can use the money from the mini to budget some suspension for the Chenowth. I swear I'm cursed to always work on and never drive my toys!
Old 09-08-2015, 12:24 PM

Sad to hear you're selling it, but an extra seat for the kids is a darn good reason. What are your plans for the new one, other than cleaning it up?

Old 09-08-2015, 04:46 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Sad to hear you're selling it, but an extra seat for the kids is a darn good reason. What are your plans for the new one, other than cleaning it up?
Mostly just a clean up for now. I will have to make some changes to the seat locations and steering. This rail is not made for a 6'2" 220lb. driver! So I am looking into different seats. I hear that Miata seats are popular in rails these days. I may have to reconfigure the front xbars to make room to raise the steering shaft and get it out of my lap.

If the mini sells then I plan to use some of the money ditch the torsion bar and put 3x3 trailing arms, 930 CV joints, and coil over suspension in the rear and widen the front beam 6" with longer trailing arms and coil over in the front.

We'll see though. I'm learning so the plan may change.

The mini is a hard sell and takes a special buyer with fab skills and cash so I may end up running it for a while before it sells.