Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > UTV/Buggy Fabrication

UTV/Buggy Fabrication For all those doing your own fabrication on the Yamaha Rhino and other UTV's

UTV/Buggy Fabrication For all those doing your own fabrication on the Yamaha Rhino and other UTV's

Old 05-14-2014, 01:24 PM
Junior Fabricator

Fng

Well, Title says it all (Freakin New Guy), literally, new to all of it, this forum, side by sides, and fabrication.

So after years of motocross and 4 wheelers, I decided to make the jump to Side by Sides. I ended up getting a RZR XP 1000. While I waited for my machine to arrive, I decided it would be way more fun to build my parts instead of buying them. Plus, I would still have the tools for other projects.

Let me start by saying, I am completely new to metal work, not just tube stuff. My old man was one of those guys that could do anything, but unfortunately he didn't teach me metal work. I inherited some of his tools, but they were old school items that were tough for a newbie to handle.

So I started doing side jobs to pay for more updated tools (I'm a computer geek, not any kind of tradesman). Here is what I ended up getting

Miller 211
Hypertherm Powermax 45
JD2 Model 3 with SWAG conversion
JD2 Notchmaster
60gal 11SCFM compressor
Milwaukee Portaband w/ SWAG table
Bend Tech EZ3D

I do have other items already
Abrasive chop saw
4" grinder
etc...

Now the problem is learning how to use them properly.

The first project I want to tackle is a front bumper for my RZR. I figured this should be a pretty easy start, but my first attempt was a little less than awesome, which is what brought me here.

So, here are the questions:

1) Do you notch before you bend? I figured the bending would be first, but I found that the bend can seem to keep me from lining up the notcher properly.

2) If you need to cut a bent piece of tube at an angle, how do you do that? You can't properly line it up with a cutting guide since its bent. If you eye-ball it and cut free hand, how do you duplicate the process exactly for a matching part?

3) How do you calculate spring back on a bend?

Sorry to start with such a long post - I obviously have a lot to learn, and I'm sure I will become a regular here.

TIA
Old 05-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher660 View Post
Well, Title says it all (Freakin New Guy), literally, new to all of it, this forum, side by sides, and fabrication.

So after years of motocross and 4 wheelers, I decided to make the jump to Side by Sides. I ended up getting a RZR XP 1000. While I waited for my machine to arrive, I decided it would be way more fun to build my parts instead of buying them. Plus, I would still have the tools for other projects.

Let me start by saying, I am completely new to metal work, not just tube stuff. My old man was one of those guys that could do anything, but unfortunately he didn't teach me metal work. I inherited some of his tools, but they were old school items that were tough for a newbie to handle.

So I started doing side jobs to pay for more updated tools (I'm a computer geek, not any kind of tradesman). Here is what I ended up getting

Miller 211
Hypertherm Powermax 45
JD2 Model 3 with SWAG conversion
JD2 Notchmaster
60gal 11SCFM compressor
Milwaukee Portaband w/ SWAG table
Bend Tech EZ3D

I do have other items already
Abrasive chop saw
4" grinder
etc...

Now the problem is learning how to use them properly.

The first project I want to tackle is a front bumper for my RZR. I figured this should be a pretty easy start, but my first attempt was a little less than awesome, which is what brought me here.

So, here are the questions:

1) Do you notch before you bend? I figured the bending would be first, but I found that the bend can seem to keep me from lining up the notcher properly.

2) If you need to cut a bent piece of tube at an angle, how do you do that? You can't properly line it up with a cutting guide since its bent. If you eye-ball it and cut free hand, how do you duplicate the process exactly for a matching part?

3) How do you calculate spring back on a bend?

Sorry to start with such a long post - I obviously have a lot to learn, and I'm sure I will become a regular here.

TIA
Typically you will notch after the bend. Upgrade to Bend-Tech PRO and using its assembly it will tell you how to line the notcher up and/or give you a paper wrappesr showing you the notch on the tube. In addition / PRO will help you with spring back after you give it a couple of samples.
http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 05-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Master Fabricator

First welcome to the OFN.
Second put your basic location into your profile because you never know who you might be close to and possibly can get some hands on help from.
Third with EZ you can bend a test piece to the desired angle in the bender (90) and then release the pressure allowing the tube to spring back. You then simply measure the angle and adjust accordingly. Don't worry about 'wasting' a couple feet of tube as you will eventually use the bend for something, in-fact I always keep a 90 bend for when I am bending 'free-hand' to allow me to hold the bend up and see how close I can get.
Fourth and finally, as Fabcam says "BT pro" is the chizmit, but I started out with EZ! Slower and takes more figuring but a great (only?) entry level CAD type bending program on the market. Start saving for Pro because if you like this fabrication stuff you will want it

E